Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Healthy Crockpot Recipes - High Flavor, Low Sodium, Low Fat
2/15/2011 8:20:16 PM

Hello My Friends,

While Seafood and Fish can be cooked in slow cookers, due to the delicate nature of the flesh, seafood tend to take a much shorter time of 2-5 hours. Make sure you serve your seafood dish as soon as its ready to avoid drying out.

Cod Alla Romana

Ingredients:

• 1 tablespoon cooking oil
  • 1 small onion, peeled and thinly sliced
  • 1 garlic clove, crushed
  • 1 green pepper, cored, seeded and thinly sliced
  • 750g (1½ lb) cod fillet, skinned and cut into 2½ cm (1 inch) wide strips
  • 400g (14oz) can tomatoes, chopped, with their Juice
  • ½ teaspoon dried basil
  • 12 black olives, stoned
  • salt
  • freshly ground black pepper

Steps:

1. Heat the oil in a frying pan. Add the onion, garlic and green peppers and fry until lightly browned.
  2. Transfer to the stoneware pot, draining well.
  3. Add the fish to the frying pan and brown very lightly. Lay the fish on top of the vegetables in the stoneware pot.
  4. Add the tomatoes, basil, olives and salt and pepper to taste to the pot.
  5. Cover and cook on Low for 4-6 hours or High for 2-3 hours.
  6. Taste and adjust the seasoning, then serve with thickly sliced French bread or boiled potatoes.

Have A Wonderful Week,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/16/2011 7:10:00 PM

Hello My Friends,

Delicious, tender, juicy beef dishes are easy to prepare when using a slow cooker. In fact, just about any cut of beef will taste great after being simmered with herbs and spices.

Slow Cooker Beef Bourguignon

Ingredients:

• 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 6 oz. small whole mushrooms
  • 2 cups thawed frozen whole baby carrots (or fresh)
  • 1 cup frozen small whole onions, thawed
  • One 10.75 oz can condensed mushroom soup
  • 1 cup Burgundy or other dry red wine
  • One approximately 1.5 lbs. boneless beef top round steak, 3cm thick, cut into 2.5cm chunks

Steps:

1. Place all ingredients into slow cooker and lightly blend with a wooden spoon.
  2. Cover and cook on Low setting for 8 hours, or until beef is tender enough to cut with a fork

Have A Wonderful Week,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/17/2011 7:55:09 PM

Hi Folks,

Well, we've been sharing a few of my favorite Weight Watchers recipes over at my other Recipe Thread during the past couple of weeks, so I thought that I would share one over here at the Crockpot Thread.

Today’s dinner will be my trusted and true, slow cooker Pot Roast Recipe. I love the ease of WW crock pot recipes and the fact that they are always so delicious. This particular pot roast is super flavorful and delicious, and the meat is so moist, it just melts in your mouth, like butter on warm bread. It’s a healthier version with a lot less sodium, fat and calories than traditional pot roast recipes, but still tastes just as good. And at just 5 WWPoints per serving, including the gravy, it makes an awesome, low calorie weeknight dinner idea. Easy for you, good for your family. Be sure and try some Gravy, spooned over those hot Mashed Potatoes that follow.

Slow Cooker Pot Roast Recipe

Ingredients:

- 1 4lb lean beef chuck roast, trimmed of fat
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup carrots, sliced
- 1 cup butternut squash, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup strong brewed coffee
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch mixed with 2 tbsp water
- salt and pepper

Directions:

Preheat oven to 300°F. Season beef with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add beef and cook, turning from time to time, until well browned on all sides, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer meat to slow cooker. Add onions, carrots, garlic, sage, thyme, coffee and vinegar; bring to a simmer. Cover and cook until beef is tender, 4 1/2 to 5 hours or High or 7 to 8 hours on Low. Add the butternut squash and parsley in the last 2 hrs of cooking. Meanwhile, skim fat from the braising liquid. Pour the liquid from your slow cooker into a medium saucepan Add the cornstarch mixture and cook, whisking, until the gravy thickens slightly, about 1 minute. Carve the beef and serve with gravy.

Total of 8 servings - Serving size is 4oz of meat with 1/3 cup gravy

Each serving = 5 WW Points with 220 calories; 5 g fat; 5 g carbohydrates; 32 g protein; 1 g fiber

Try these Potatoes using low-fat milk or rich Chicken stock and you'll love how good they taste, as well as how good they are for you.

Garlic Mashed Red Potatoes

Ingredients

• 8 medium red potatoes, quartered
  • 3 cloves garlic, peeled
  • 2 tablespoons butter or stick margarine
  • 1/2 cup fat-free milk, warmed
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Directions

1. Place potatoes and garlic in a large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the potatoes are very tender. Drain well. Add the butter, milk and salt; mash. Stir in Parmesan cheese.

Have A Happy Week My Friends,

Phil

+0
Ray
Ray Gollis

136 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
2/19/2011 7:33:25 PM
Hello Folks, Here is a Healthy Recipe that is High In Fiber and Low In Fat...

Recipe For Rays Burrito...

Read On....

Cook Ground Turkey 1 lb. Dash of Oregano, Onion Powder, Pepper....
I don't use no Salt...

Cook Tortilla in toster over about 5min...Flip Once and Cook On The Other Side

Cook Brown Rice....45 Min... Until Tender

Cut up tomatoes, onions, green peppers...

Prepare Burrito...

Spread Spinach Dip On Burrito...

Add Tomatoes, Onions,

Insert Brown Rice...

Add Spices...

Cheneyye Pepper, Onion Powder, Pepper,

Add Your Favorite Salsa On Top...

I usually warm Salsa separately in microwave

And Pour on The Burrito...

There You Have It...

Rays Burrito....Session data
Join my home based business and make 80.00 per referral! Click Here To Find Out More! Religious Artifacts, Dvd Players, Books, Cassettes And Much More For Sale Click Here To Go To Rays Warehouse Ebay Store Have A Music Blog That I Just Started Check it out Click Here To Find Out More!
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/20/2011 6:31:06 PM

Hi Ray,

So glad you stopped by, and Thanks for the great Recipe for the Burritos.

Here's a Glazed Chicken Wings Recipe that's great if you’re planning to have company over and need to something fuss free and easy to prepare. There’s nothing like serving wings that fall of the bone, make your mouth water, have ‘em lining up for seconds.

Glazed Chicken Wings

Ingredients for Glazed Chicken Wings

18 chicken wings (about 3 lb)
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup cocktail sauce
1 cup orange marmalade
2 garlic cloves – peel and crush
1 Tbsp Old Bay Seasoning

Preparation

Cut up chicken wings
Cut the tips off the chicken wings and save them for making stock. Cut the remaining wings into two sections at the joint and arrange them in the slow cooker.

Mix your ingredients and add to chicken wings
In a mixing bowl, combine the cocktail sauce, orange marmalade, vinegar, garlic and Old Bay Seasoning. Stir well and pour over chicken wings.

Add to slow cooker and cook
Cook on Low for 4 – 6 hours or on High for 2-3 hours or until wings are tender.

Quickly broil the cooked wings
After wings are finished cooking in the slow cooker broil them in the oven broiler. Preheat the oven broiler and line a broiler pan with aluminum foil. Broil the wings for 2-3 minutes on a side or until they are lightly browned. Serve hot at room temperature or chilled.

Prep time: Less than 15 minutes and Minimum cooking time: Low for 4 – 6 hours or High for 2-3 hours. Makes 3 dozen wings.

Here’s a quick tip. Be careful when broiling any food that has been marinated or cooked in a liquid with a high sugar content, such as this marinade. The food will brown much faster than a similar dish cooked without a sweet component.

Have A Terrific Weekend,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!