Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Healthy Crockpot Recipes - High Flavor, Low Sodium, Low Fat
2/11/2011 1:40:02 AM
Hi Phil,

Long time since I have been here. The eggplant you just posted sounds so good. I made an eggplant dish once and lost the recipe. The thing that upset me, it was the best eggplant I ever ate. This remind of it, so maybe it would be close, I hope so.

Myrna
LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
2/11/2011 2:01:48 AM

Hello Phil and Friends,

Phil your casserole sounds wonderful. I love eggplant. I am like Myrna and have lost my best recipes for yellow squash casserole and one I made up of Tuna Fish Casserole.

Well, I will just have to try yours but I don't own a slow cooker anymore. I am sure it will work well with conventional cooking.

I am hungry again.

Love,

Sara

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/11/2011 2:50:23 AM

Hi Myrna & Sara,

Two of my Favorite Ladies of Adland. It's so good to see both of you here.

Being an "almost Vegetarian", and with the jury still out about my Gluten tolerance, you all know that I do love my Eggplant. I know that this is a "Crockpot" forum, but I hope I won't get my wrist slapped too hard for veering off-topic just a little, to include a couple of my Conventional Recipes for Eggplant.

Eggplant and Zucchini Casserole

Ingredients

• 2 cups water
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • 8 ounces dry bread stuffing mix
  • 1 large eggplant, diced
  • 2 large zucchini, diced
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 tomato, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 2 cups shredded Colby cheese
  • salt to taste
  • ground black pepper to taste

Directions

1. In a microwavable bowl, mix water and margarine (cut into pieces). Stir in stuffing mix and cover with a microwavable lid. Cook on HIGH for 8 to 10 minutes. Fluff with fork.
  2. Place eggplant, zucchini, tomato, onion into a large skillet. Season with thyme, salt, and pepper. Cook and stir over medium low heat for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat.
  3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F ( 175 degrees C). Grease a 2 quart casserole dish.
  4. Layer vegetables, cheese, and stuffing in the dish until all ingredients have been used, ending with cheese.
  5. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes.

And since I often Cook just for my Sister and I, here's my very favorite, a culinary delight, best prepared with Eggplant fresh from the garden.

Aunt Eileen's Stuffed Eggplant

Ingredients

• 2 (1 pound) eggplants
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 6 sprigs fresh parsley, chopped
  • 1 1/2 cups fresh bread crumbs
  • 1/2 cup grated Gruyere cheese
  • 2 tablespoons chopped black olives
  • 1 tablespoon capers
  • 1 lemon, juiced
  • 1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • pepper to taste
  • 12 slices tomato
  • 1/4 cup grated Gruyere cheese
  • 4 tablespoons olive oil

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Cut eggplant in half, scoop out the pulp, leaving a 1/2 inch shell. Chop the flesh finely.
  2. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook chopped eggplant for about 1 minute. Stir in onion, garlic, and parsley, and cook until tender. Transfer to a large bowl, and mix in bread crumbs, 1/2 cup Gruyere, chopped olives, capers, and lemon juice. Season with basil, pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Stuff into eggplant shells.
  3. Top stuffed eggplants with overlapping slices of tomato. Sprinkle evenly with remaining 1/4 cup cheese, and drizzle with remaining 4 tablespoons olive oil. Place on baking sheet.
  4. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.

Serves 4

Have A Beautiful Evening Friends,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/12/2011 4:35:51 AM

Hello My Friends,

Want a lovely dinner for your sweetie, but short on time? This special slow-cooker meal could be the answer! Just add flowers, wine, and candlelight. In Italy, spirited chicken dishes like this one are known as 'pollo alla contadina' or peasant-style chicken. Serve with pasta such as Penne, Fettuccine or Linguine.

Slow Cooker Rosemary and Red Pepper Chicken

Ingredients

• 1 small onion, thinly sliced
  • 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 8 ounces turkey Italian sausages, casings removed
  • 8 (4 ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
  • 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
  • 1/4 cup dry vermouth
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 2 tablespoons cold water
  • salt to taste
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

Directions

1. In a 5 to 6 quart slow cooker, combine onion, bell pepper, garlic, rosemary, and oregano. Crumble sausages over onion mixture. Rinse chicken and pat dry; arrange in a single layer over sausage. Sprinkle with pepper. Pour in vermouth. Cover, and cook on Low setting for 5 to 7 hours, or until chicken is tender and cooked through when pierced.
  2. Transfer chicken to a warm, deep platter, and cover to keep warm.
  3. In a small bowl, stir together cornstarch and cold water. Stir into cooking liquid in slow cooker. Increase heat to High, and cover. Cook, stirring 2 to3 times, until sauce is thickened (about 10 more minutes). Season to taste with salt. Spoon sauce over chicken, and sprinkle with parsley.

Bon Appetit & Happy Valentine's Day,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/14/2011 12:56:19 AM

Hello My Friends,

With Valentine's day less than 24 hours away, here's a Tasty Treat for you and your Significant Other. Enjoy it my Friends.

Slow Cooker Cuban Flank Steak for Two

Ingredients

1 small onion, thinly sliced
1/2 small red bell pepper, cut into strips (1/2 cup)
1/2 small green bell pepper, cut into strips (1/2 cups)
1/2 beef flank steak (1/2 lb), cut into 2 pieces
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1/2 teaspoon dried minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons lime juice
1/4 cup Progresso® beef flavored broth (I would use Better than Bouillon soup base and water instead of opening a big package of broth)
1/2 cup uncooked regular long-grain white rice
1/2 cup Progresso® black beans, drained, rinsed (from 15-oz can)

Directions

Spray 1 1/2- to 2-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. In cooker, place onion and peppers. Top with beef. Sprinkle with chili powder, oregano, garlic and salt. Drizzle with lime juice. Add broth.

Cover; cook on Low heat setting 6 to 8 hours.

About 20 minutes before serving, cook rice as directed on package.

Remove beef from cooker; place on cutting board. Shred beef with 2 forks; return to cooker and mix well. Stir in black beans. Increase heat setting to High. Cover; cook about 5 minutes longer or until thoroughly heated.

Serve beef and sauce over rice.

Have A Happy Valentine's Day My Friends,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!