Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Healthy Crockpot Recipes - High Flavor, Low Sodium, Low Fat
2/6/2011 7:27:25 PM
Hello Friends,

Today I'm featuring a Dish which combines two of my favorites, Potatoes & Cabbage. Easy to prepare and your Family will love it!

Slow Cooker Potato Stuffed Cabbage

Ingredients:

• 1 head cabbage
  • 2kg (5lb) potatoes, peeled
  • 2 onions
  • 1 carrot
  • ½ cup rice, raw
  • 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
  • ¼ teaspoon black pepper, ground
  • 2 egg whites
  • 800g (28oz) tomatoes
  • 1 apple, peeled and sliced
  • ¼ teaspoon ground ginger

Steps

1. Preboil cabbage and separate the leaves. Slice off part of the heavy stalk of each leaf by slicing parallel to the leaf (do not cut into the leaf).
  2. Grate potatoes, carrots, small inner leaves of cabbage, and one of the onions. Mix together. Add rice, dill, and black pepper. Beat egg whites until frothy and add to potato mixture. Set aside two or three of the largest leaves.
  3. Fill each remaining cabbage leaf with approximately 2 tablespoon of the potato mixture. Fold up bottom of leaf, then fold in the sides, and roll up. Secure with toothpick if necessary.
  4. Slice the reserved leaves and line the bottom of slow cooker with them. Slice second onion and layer on top of cabbage. Add tomatoes, apple, and ginger. Place rolled stuffed cabbages into slow cooker. Cook at low heat for 4 to 5 hours.

Have A Blessed Sunday,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/7/2011 3:40:27 PM

Hello My Friends,

Today we'll share a little of the great taste of Italy with this traditional Italian lamb dish that has been adapted for slow cookers. Serve on a bed of buttered noodles or rice, garnished with small sprigs of parsley.

Lamb Romano

Ingredients:

• (1½ lb) boned leg of lamb, trimmed of excess fat and cut into (1inch) cubes
  • 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
  • (6oz) small onions, peeled
  • 1 small green pepper,
    cored, seeded and sliced
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 cup red Italian wine
  • (2oz) butter
  • (4oz) button mushrooms salt
  • freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon plain flour
  • few fresh parsley sprigs, to garnish

Steps:

1. Place the lamb cubes in a large bowl with the garlic, onions, green pepper, herbs, oil and (1/2 cup) of the wine. Cover and leave to marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours.
  2. Drain off the marinade liquid and reserve. Melt (1oz) of the butter in a frying pan. Add the meat and vegetables and fry briskly for 2-3 minutes. Transfer to the stoneware pot, draining well.
  3. Add the mushrooms, reserved marinade liquid and remaining wine to the pan and bring to the boil, stirring well. Pour over the meat in the stoneware pot and season to taste with salt and pepper.
  4. Cover and cook on Low for 8-10 hours or High for 4-5 hours.
  5. Thirty minutes before the cooking time is finished, mix the remaining butter with the flour to make a paste. Add to the sauce in small pieces and stir until the sauce thickens. Taste and adjust the seasoning.

Have A Marvelous Monday,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/9/2011 5:03:12 AM

Hello My Friends,

This recipe goes together quickly and does not need a lot of time in the slow cooker. It's a delicious way to add flavor to ground beef and the family will love it. The gravy is delightful served over mashed potatoes.

Slow Cooker Salisbury Steak

Ingredients

• 2 pounds lean ground beef
  • 1 (1 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix
  • 1/2 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup
  • 1 (1 ounce) packet dry au jus mix
  • 3/4 cup water

Directions

1. In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef, onion soup mix, bread crumbs, and milk using your hands. Shape into 8 patties.
  2. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Dredge the patties in flour just to coat, and quickly brown on both sides in the hot skillet. Place browned patties into the slow cooker stacking alternately like a pyramid. In a medium bowl, mix together the cream of chicken soup, au jus mix, and water. Pour over the meat. Cook on the Low setting for 4 or 5 hours, until ground beef is well done.

And to accompany the meal, try this new twist on an old classic. Take some mushrooms, onions, and bacon, and incorporate them into good old fashion mashed potatoes.

Mashed Potatoes with Fried Mushroom, Bacon, and Onion

Ingredients

• 6 Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and quartered
  • 5 slices bacon
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 6 medium mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 medium onion, sliced
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons ranch dressing

Directions

1. Add potatoes to a large pot of water and bring to a boil. Cook until the potatoes are soft, about 20 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, place the bacon slices in a large skillet over medium heat, and cook until crisp. Remove to paper towels.
  3. Wipe out the skillet, return to stove, and pour in vegetable oil. Stir in mushrooms and onion, and cook until onion is soft and translucent.
  4. When the potatoes are done, drain water, and place potatoes in a large bowl. Mash in butter and ranch dressing. With a potato masher or electric mixer, continue to mash until the potatoes are smooth. Stir in the mushrooms, onions, and crumbled bacon.

Have A Great Week,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/10/2011 2:26:19 AM

Hello My Friends,

I've had one of those cravings for a Week now, so this Evening, I'm ready to satisfy my appetite and I can only hope, yours' as well. Been wanting some Chinese, so here goes...

Asian Style Pork Ribs

Ingredients:

• 12 boneless pork ribs or 20 boned pork ribs.
  • 1 cup soy sauce
  • ¼ cup lightly packed brown sugar
  • ¼ cup sesame oil
  • 2 tablespoon lime juice
  • 2 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 tablespoon rice vinegar
  • 2 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 2 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
  • 1 teaspoon hot sauce

Steps:

1. Mix soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil, lime juice, olive oil, rice vinegar, ginger, garlic, and hot sauce in slow cooker crock. Add ribs, cover, and refrigerate overnight. (If your slow cooker doesn’t have a removable crock, marinate in a large bowl overnight and then transfer meat to slow cooker when you’re ready to cook it.)
  2. Before cooking, drain off the marinade and discard.
  3. Cook on Low setting for 9 hours.
  4. Shred cooked meat with two forks.

Wishing You All A Wonderful Week,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/11/2011 12:06:18 AM

Hello Everyone,

Slow cookers lend themselves well to cooking casseroles. One of the best things about it is that you don’t have to constantly tend to the casserole for fear of it drying out or burning. This slow cooker casserole is made from courgette, squash and eggplant.

The courgette and eggplant casserole makes a great side dish and an excellent vegetarian main dish. The added cheese adds to the protein, and if you use whole wheat bread crumbs to top the casserole they add even more protein. Also, the nature of the dish makes it pretty low in calories and very high in fiber.

Courgette and Eggplant Slow Cooker Casserole

Ingredients

• 1lb of courgette squash
  • 1lb of eggplant
  • 1lb of potatoes
  • 2 green bell peppers
  • 5 garlic cloves
  • 2 cups of tomatoes
  • ½ teaspoon of white sugar
  • 2 onions
  • salt and pepper
  • 2 tablespoons of fresh parsley
  • 2 teaspoons of fresh dill
  • ¼ cup of olive oil
  • 2 cups of shredded mozzarella
  • parmesan cheese, grated or shredded

Steps

Oil and preheat a covered slow cooker to low heat.

Rinse all the vegetables. Peel the potatoes and eggplant (you can use a potato peeler for this). Cut the courgette squash, the eggplant, and the potatoes into slices 1 cm thick. You may have to cut the eggplant slices in half to make them conform more to the size of the courgette. Remove the stem, the seeds and membrane from the bell peppers and coarsely chop them. Peel and crush the garlic cloves. Chop the tomatoes. Peel and thinly slice the onions.

In a small medium sized bowl, mix together the sugar, the garlic and the tomatoes and set them aside for a few minutes. In another bowl, mix together the courgette squash, the eggplant, the green bell peppers and the potatoes.

Put about ⅓ to ¼ of the onions in the bottom of the slow cooker and add a layer of the squash, eggplant, pepper and potato mixture, using the same ratio. You’re going to make 3 or 4 layers depending on the width of your slow cooker.

Add some of the tomato mixture that you set aside to the top of the vegetables. Add salt and pepper to your liking, and sprinkle some of the parsley and dill on top. Drizzle some of the olive oil over the top.

Now, start over and make another identical layer, and continue until you have used all of the vegetables and tomato mixture. You should end up with the olive oil being the last thing you add for now.

Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for about 6 hours. Remove the lid and add the shredded mozzarella cheese. If it looks like it’s going to be too much cheese, hold some back and you can use it to garnish the dish during meal time. Replace the lid and cover on low another 2 hours.

While you are adding the mozzarella cheese, it would be a good idea to check the tenderness of the eggplant. If it is not yet tender, cook the recipe on high the last 2 hours instead of on low.

When it’s time to serve the slow cooker courgette eggplant casserole, you can garnish it with any leftover mozzarella and herbs, or you can add some parmesan cheese to it.

Have A Terrific Weekend,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!