Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Patricia Bartch

9394 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Healthy Crockpot Recipes - High Flavor, Low Sodium, Low Fat
10/14/2010 10:43:21 PM
I'm making this next week.....
Pat

Lentil Soup

By: Marie
"Hearty lentil soup, chock full of veggies and very yummy. Serve with warm cornbread." 8 hours in a crock pot - added smoked turkey sausage, 2 14 oz cans of diced tomoatoes (one was fire roasted), and extra chicken stock and water. I also sauteed the onions, carrots and celery

Ingredients

• 1 onion, chopped
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 2 carrots, diced
  • dice onions and potatoes
  • 2 stalks celery, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • can diced tomatoes
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
  • 2 cups dry lentils
  • 5 cups chicken - beef stock
  • 1/2 cup spinach, rinsed and thinly sliced
  • salt to taste
  • ground black pepper to taste

Directions

1. In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, and celery; cook and stir until onion is tender. Stir in garlic, bay leaf, oregano, and basil; cook for 2 minutes.
  2. Stir in lentils, and add water and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for at least 1 hour. When ready to serve stir in spinach, and cook until it wilts. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

I'm Your AVON LADY: http://youravon.com/pbartch *Ask me how to get FREE Shipping.
+0
10/15/2010 2:28:00 PM

Pat, that sounds yummy!! I'll bet it was very good and healthy also!!

Now I am hungry. Why do I come to this forum on an empty stomach?? It is like going to the grocery store when you have not eaten.

Smiles and hugs,

Sara

+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/15/2010 5:16:18 PM
Sara,
I just read your post about coming in here and being hungry. I have come in here not hungry, but was hunger when I left. lol Well I thought it was funny.
Aren't to have fun................ we need it.

Hi Phil

Myrna

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/15/2010 8:19:29 PM

Hello My Friends,

That's what I like about this Community. I stay away for a day, and when I get back, three of my Favorite Friends have stopped by for a visit. Hi Pat and Sara and Myrna. It's always so good to see you all here at the Forum. If I'm making everyone hungry, then I must be doing something right!

Pat, the Lentil Soup sounds absolutely delicious. On these cool Fall evenings, warming up to a good bowl of soup and some homemade cornbread sounds just perfect! The only thing I could think to add to the mix was some homemade Chicken Broth, and because it's done in the slow cooker, you don't need to fuss with it. This is the recipe I use to make chicken broth for use in other recipes. I like to use breasts and wings, but any bone in pieces will make a nice broth.

Chicken Broth in a Slow Cooker

Ingredients

• 2 1/2 pounds bone-in chicken pieces
  • 6 cups water
  • 2 stalks celery, chopped
  • 2 carrots, chopped
  • 1 onion, quartered
  • 1 tablespoon dried basil

Directions

1. Place the chicken pieces, water, celery, carrots, onion, and basil in a slow cooker.
  2. Cook on Low setting for 8 to 10 hours. Strain before using, and discard vegetables. Chicken may be removed from the bones, and used in soup.

Have A Blessed Weekend My Friends,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
10/15/2010 8:51:24 PM

Phil, you are doing a lot right, keeping us all hungry or full from using your recipes. That cat seems to be having fun making music also.

Came by to leave one these.

Sara

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!