Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Healthy Crockpot Recipes - High Flavor, Low Sodium, Low Fat
10/5/2010 11:00:59 PM

Phil,

These sound good to me.

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/6/2010 6:58:40 PM

Hi Pat & Roger,

It's so nice of you both to stop by for a visit. Thanks for your kind comments, Pat. Believe me, I know what it's like to have to watch the Sodium. I've been fighting the Hypertension battle most of my life. Now I also have to check the Sugar & the Sugar Alcohol grams as well, because of a tendency towards Diabetes.

They sure don't make it easy when you try to buy prepared meals now do they? Sometimes, I wish that I lived on a Farm where I could grow everything I consume.

Here's a little something that I've always enjoyed. As the afternoons get cooler, a bowl of chowder is a real comfort food. Make this easy to prepare, delicious creamy low fat chicken chowder for dinner one evening. I prefer to make my own Chicken broth, however, if you use store-bought, then I would always use Swanson's Low-Sodium Broth. Also, if you're watching your Salt, then you might want to cut back, or even eliminate the Parmesan Cheese, unless you use fresh-grated. Commercial brands are just too high in Sodium, besides it's much cheaper to grate it yourself and it tastes better too.

Crockpot Chicken Chowder

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup chopped carrots
  • 1 cup skim milk
  • 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
  • 1/8 tsp. white pepper
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 potato, peeled and cubed
  • 1/2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1" pieces
  • 2 (15 oz.) cans creamed corn
  • 1/4 cup dried potato flakes
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (Optional)

Preparation:

Combine all ingredients except dried potato flakes and cheese in slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until potatoes are tender and chicken thoroughly cooked. Add potato flakes and stir well to combine. Cook mixture on high, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes or until chowder has thickened and dried potato flakes have dissolved. Top each serving with cheese (If using). Serves 4

Have A Wonderful Wednesday,
Phil
“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/9/2010 3:30:17 AM
Hello My Friends,

Here's a simple crowd pleasing recipe that can sit in a slow cooker until it is time to serve. Along with some fresh baked Bread, you've got a meal that can't be beat.

Grandma's Slow Cooker Vegetarian Chili

Ingredients

• 1 (19 ounce) can black bean soup
  • 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 (16 ounce) can vegetarian baked beans
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can chopped tomatoes in puree
  • 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 green bell pepper, chopped
  • 2 stalks celery, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder, or to taste
  • 1 tablespoon dried parsley
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 1 tablespoon dried basil

Directions

In a slow cooker, combine black bean soup, kidney beans, garbanzo beans, baked beans, tomatoes, corn, onion, bell pepper and celery. Season with garlic, chili powder, parsley, oregano and basil. Cook for at least two hours on High, then drop down to Low and simmer until ready to eat.

Have A Terrific Fall Weekend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/10/2010 4:24:22 PM

Hello My Friends,

It seems like we are always trying to eat what we should, given that as we age, our health doesn't always stay quite as good as we had hoped it would. However, some times we need a little something sweet. A reward for being good, if you will.

That's why I'm so excited about this recipe that tastes as good as it sounds! It’s the perfect mix of apple pie and bread pudding that’s great served hot or cold. This Apple Pie Bread Pudding Recipe is low fat, low calorie and an amazing dessert for anyone. Made in your crock pot, this recipe is so easy and so delicious, it’ll please your whole family and impress your guests. Also, if you're following Weight Watchers as I am, a serving is only equal to 3 WW points.

Apple Pie Bread Pudding

Ingredients:

12 slices reduced-calorie white bread– torn into medium-size pieces
3 1/2 cups cooking apples — cored, peeled and chopped
1 cup unsweetened apple juice
1/2 cup diet lemon-lime soda
Sugar substitute suitable for baking to equal 1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons apple pie spice

Directions:

Spray slow cooker with butter-flavored nonstick cooking spray. Combine bread pieces and apples in slow cooker. In small bowl, combine apple juice, soda, sugar substitute and apple pie spice. Drizzle evenly over bread mixture. Mix gently to combine. Cover and cook for 6 hours on low, or until done. Mix well before serving.

Have A Great Day My Friends,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/14/2010 8:30:38 PM

Hello Everyone,

Been away for awhile. Let's get back into the swing again with one of my favorite "Comfort Foods".

The secret to perfect dumplings is to not overmix the batter and to drop the batter onto very hot, bubbling liquid. That way the dumplings begin cooking immediately and don't get soggy. The last time I made this I used baby bella mushrooms and added some dried basil and thyme to the dumplings. Yum!

Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings

Ingredients:

• 1 potato, peeled and chopped
  • 3 carrots, sliced
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 cup sliced mushrooms, if desired
  • 14 oz. can ready to serve chicken broth
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. dried thyme leaves
  • 1/8 tsp. pepper
  • 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts, cut into 2" pieces
  • 9 oz. pkg. frozen baby peas
  • 1-1/2 cups Bisquick Mix (or BisQwick Mix - See recipe below)
  • 1 Tbsp. snipped chives
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 Tbsp. butter, melted

Preparation:

In a 4 quart crockpot, mix potato, carrots, onion, garlic, and mushrooms if using. In medium bowl, combine chicken broth, flour and seasoning and mix until smooth. Pour over vegetables in crockpot. Add chicken.

Cover crockpot and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours until chicken is thoroughly cooked and no longer pink in center. Add peas and cover again. Cook on HIGH for 20 minutes until peas are hot.

In small bowl, combine baking mix with chives, milk, and melted butter and mix just until combined. Do not over mix.

If you don't have any baking mix, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1 tablespoon snipped chives in a small bowl. Melt 6 tablespoons butter and mix with 1/2 cup milk; add to flour mixture and stir just until combined.

Drop dumplings by tablespoons onto hot, bubbling chicken mixture in crockpot. Cover and cook on HIGH for 20-25 minutes until dumplings are cooked through, fluffy, and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Serves 4

If you're like me, tired of paying the high price for Bisquick Mix, then here's a handy, and much cheaper, alternative.

"BisQwick" Baking Mix

Ingredients:

• 8 cups flour
  • 1-1/4 cups nonfat dry milk powder
  • 1/4 cup baking powder
  • 1 Tbsp. salt
  • 2 cups solid vegetable shortening

Preparation:

In a large bowl, combine flour, milk, baking powder, and salt. With a pastry blender or two knives, cut in shortening until the mixture looks like coarse cornmeal and the shortening is evenly distributed. Store in tightly closed covered container in a dark, cool place. Use in place of 'Bisquick' in any recipe.

Have A Great Weekend My Friends,
Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!