Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Apple Recipes, Pies, Cakes, Breads, Etc.
1/14/2011 12:59:21 AM

LaNell,

I am glad you found this forum, too. We love sharing recipes. I have copied so many that I had to buy binders, punch holes in the recipes, and put them in separate categories to keep them all straight!

DonnaZ

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/17/2011 7:49:22 PM

Hello Donna & Friends,

This Recipe is proof positive that even when you're baking a treat you can make healthy choices. This apple pie is full of whole grain goodness and as an added bonus you'll find that the oat and whole wheat crust is easier to make than a normal pie crust.

Whole Grain Crusted Apple Pie

Ingredients

Whole Grain Crust

2 cups (500 mL) whole wheat flour
2 cups (500 mL) rolled oats
1/4 cup (60 mL) brown sugar or maple syrup (omit if desired)
1 teaspoon (5 mL) salt
1/2 cup (125 mL) vegetable oil (such as sunflower or canola)
1/2 cup (125 mL) (approximately) water

Apple Pie

10 or 12 of your favourite pie apples, peeled, cored and cut into 6 even pieces
1/4 cup (60 mL) brown sugar or maple syrup (omit if desired)
1/4 cup (60 mL) whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon (15 mL) cinnamon

Directions

Preheat oven to 350ºF.

Whisk the flour, rolled oats, brown sugar and salt together in a large bowl. Add the oil and mix well until evenly combined. Add the water and stir until the mixture comes together. Knead once or twice to gather up any extra dry ingredients. Add a few more drops of water if needed. Divide in half and form into two flattened discs. Chill until ready to use.

Toss the apples with the brown sugar, flour and cinnamon.

Flour your hands, the work surface, a rolling pin and the dough, then roll out one pastry disc into a 12-inch (30-cm) round and fit into an 8-inch (20-cm) pie plate. You may find it easier to fold the disc into quarters, then pick it up and unfold it over the pie plate. Add the apples.

Roll out the second disc into a 12-inch (30-cm) round and place over top of the apples. Trim and seal edges and poke three or four vent holes into the top of the pie so that steam will be released and not blow out the crust. Place apple pie onto the bottom rack of the oven and bake for 1 hour, until whole grain crust is golden and juices are bubbling.

Serves 6 to 8.

Have A Happy Week,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/25/2011 3:37:53 PM

Hi Donna,

My Neighbor shared a new treat with me that I just tasted the other day, and believe me, it was great. The combination of chocolate, cinnamon and apple make a great sweet bread that all will love.

Chocolate Apple Bread

Ingredients

• 2 tablespoons white sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 cup margarine, softened
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons buttermilk
  • 1 cup chopped apples
  • 1/2 cup walnuts
  • 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions

1. To make the topping, in a small bowl mix the sugar, cinnamon and finely chopped walnuts. Set aside.
  2. In a medium bowl combine flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Set aside.
  3. In a separate large bowl cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla extract, and mix well. Gradually beat in flour mixture alternately with buttermilk. Stir in apples, walnuts, and semi-sweet chocolate chips. Pour into a greased 9x5x3 inch loaf pan. Sprinkle with topping.
  4. Bake in a preheated 350 degree F (175 degree C) oven for 50 to 60 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes. Remove from pan. Cool on a wire rack.

Have A Terrific Week,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/27/2011 10:07:06 PM

Hi Phil,

The Chocolate Apple Bread sounds absolutely yummy. I am going to try that one for sure.

Healthier dessert recipes are a welcome change, aren't they? Most desserts have sooo much sugar I feel guilty eating something like that. Desserts with a little less sugar are more difficult to find. I don't digest artificial sweeteners very well so like to try recipes with the real thing, just not so much of it!

DonnaZ

DonnaZ

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/19/2011 10:59:30 PM

Hi Donna,

Been away for awhile, but I got another yummy Apple Crisp recipe today in my email, so I just had to share.

Oats, brown sugar and pecans team up with nutmeg and cloves to make a great topping for this apple crisp treat. For a great combination of baking apples; use Granny Smith, Braeburn, Jonagold, Empire, Regent, Spartan, Newtown apples or a mixture of your favorite apples together.

Apple Raspberry Crisp

Apple Crisp Topping

3/4 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
1/2 cup old-fashion oats
1/4 teaspoon fresh nutmeg or 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans

Apple Crisp Filling

4 large Braeburn apples or Jonagold apples, peeled, cored, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 4 cups)
3 cups fresh or frozen raspberry's
5 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt

For apple crisp topping

Mix the first 5 ingredients in medium bowl. Stir in butter until mixture begins to clump together. Mix in chopped pecans. (The topping can be made 1 day in ahead. Chill in the refrigerator.)

For apple crisp filling

Preheat oven. Combine apples, raspberry, sugar, flour and vanilla extract in a large bowl and toss to coat. Transfer apple mixture to 9 inch round baking dish.

Sprinkle crisp topping evenly over apples and raspberry's. Bake until fruit is tender when pierced with knife and topping is crisp, covering with foil if topping is browning too quickly.

Cool apple crisp for 20 minutes. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt.

Pan size: 9 inch round baking dish
Temp: 350 °F degrees : Crisp Baking Time: 45 minutes
Servings: 6

Have A Wonderful Weekend My Friend,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!