Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Mary Hofstetter

3481 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Is Your Name Googled? Please share ideas
10/11/2008 1:28:40 PM

Hi everyone and welcome to all the new readers and posters here.  What Lucy and Lorraine  are telling us was also the point of a conversation I had yesterday afternoon.  I tested 'mahofst' my user name and found different and yes, like you said more results.

There are communities where I only have profiles that rank high on the page. Strange I don't work there but I am recognized there.  Some strange results there.  Everyone go test your user name and get back with us.

Here is a summary of what I was told via a conversation with an Adlander.

>>brand your user name,  nickname, handle, or whatever you call it. I added it to my profile here last night and will be working on increasing the use of the name to see what happens.

>>put your special name in e-mails, advertisements, announcements, web-sites etc. Using it as your skype and other communication tools would add consistency.

>>If you used a number or nonsense word to sign into any site, change them to your user name, nickname, handle etc.  Always use the same name as that is what we mean by branding your name---burn it into the minds of people.

>>buy a domain name with your user name.  Lucy Walker is probably not available nor would Lorraine Smith , or Al Smith but your special name might be available. Send me an e-mail if interested as I have a person who can help us with that.

I also read yesterday that we are in error if we depend on one site to boost ratings.  There in lies the error.  Adlandpro was always the answer for me as it rated high and I always had oodles of pages.  Putting all the eggs in one basket was a BIG MISTAKE.

Mary aka mahofst

+0
Mary Hofstetter

3481 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/11/2008 4:03:19 PM

A new forum topic has spun off so that we can all display our user name, handle or whatever you wish to call it.

http://community.adlandpro.com/forums/thread/1133513.aspx

Come register your name.

Thanks for your help everybody.

Have a great day.

mahofst   Mary Hofstetter

+0
Judy Smith

4550 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/11/2008 8:41:03 PM

Hi again, Mary, Rudy, Peter, lorraine et al!

There is so much to learn on this topic. The Google "rules" seem to be ever changing.  When I started blogging not that long ago, I started at blog spot - and though it has been totally redone and recently republished, and I have a second blog running as well.  I think I had a great teacher, because the combo seems to be working very well.

I also started a blog on Adland and with the other 2 running, I have abandoned that one for now, and when I get back to it, will delete or edit the posts that are there before I move forward with it.

What does this have to do with google and the results we get here at Adland, you ask.  Well I will do my level best to convey what I have been learning about this spidery thing called the web, and it's connection with my website which in this instance is Bird Essentials and my blogs.  One of my blogs themes is "Taking flight" the other is "Soar Like an Eagle".  Bird Essentials keywords and TITLE contain word like birds, wings, bird feeders, bird houses and so on.  And both of the blogs contain articles, quotes, stories that cover bird feeding,  finding the right house or take off in a different direction and include quotes or inspirational messages, but EVERY time I post to these blogs, I use some of the very same keywords, meta tags and titles that are in my website.  I include links in some - not all - of the posts that relate to product or an informational page at Bird Essentials. 

I have been at this for just over a month.  Bird Essentials has only been submitted to the SE's one time in that period of time, and the traffic and sell through rate at Bird Essentials has increased  20% over last month and August.  I know that is not a phenominal difference, but it went UP in a month when traffic and sales are normally lower, so it tells me that something is going in the right direction.

Sorry - didn't mean to write a book, but I am not a guru and have a hard time getting to the bottom line - which is:  The forums, and posts and words that we use here at Adland don't link to anything - they aren't keyword rich unless we load it with spammy type ads instead of birthdays, and recognitions forums and the other things we all love here at Adland.  The google spiders are going right over the profiles and about me stuff here and heading for the forums, and no keywords, no google.

When I google my name, I am so far down the line of Judy Smiths that I couldn't find ME.  Does it make sense that the interest areas of our profiles and about me pages, should be as keyword rich as the blogs and articles and websites need to be??  I really don't know - I am ASKING.  It just makes sense to me.  Adland is all about relationships, which I fully believe in and google could care less about our relationships with our peers, potential customers, etc. And how we wind up with google in relationship with Adland is all about what and to whom Adland is submitting the information they have about us to the Search Engines.

There was a point in time when i would Google me and i would pop up in the first page or so associated with Adland.  Not any more, which says to me that something has changed.  Is it Google or Adland.

Hope I have made a little sense here at least.  Look forward to continuing this conversation.  I find it fascinating, and even a little boggling.  But then, i am always up for a good challenge.

Hope you are having a great day!

Judy

+0
10/12/2008 9:05:04 PM

Mary, I read what you said about changing your profile and so I thought I'd try putting my username below my profile pic and see what happens.

Thanks, Judy, for helping me get a handle on what we're talking about here - you made a lot of sense to me  :-)

+0
Rose Enderud

2223 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/12/2008 9:17:43 PM
Hello Mary,
I do not know that I have any answers. My name, username, and website are all somewhat unique.
Google any of them and I am all over the first page.
Rose Enderud, renderud, Artistic Rose.
What I have done includes having my own domain, posting in many social networking sites, some blog posting.
I have as many things as I have time for that referrence all three some how.
Rose
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!