Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
James Wright

2397 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Living the Christian Life
9/7/2008 9:12:35 PM

Bev, there are many folks who take drugs to cover their depression. It works temporarily, but does not solve the problem. I suppose that's why there are many who drink alcohol, to cover their feelings, or to take them away. The only real way to deal with depression is to nip it in the bud. If we feel sorry for ourselves, no one else will. As far as I'm concerned, there is nothing worse than being dependent upon some antidepressant drug. I never did take any.

I thank God for His promises, that lift me up when I get down. Something else I like to do is go take a walk, get some fresh air, and let God speak to me through nature. And then there is prayer. There is nothing quite like it! Thank you for sharing your experience. If there is anyone else that would like to talk about this please feel free to do so!

+0
Kim
Kim Stilwell

273 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
9/8/2008 12:02:35 AM

Depression!  Yes, it strikes sometimes due to great stress, trials, painful life circumstances; for me it's a life long thorn in the side...genetic chemical imbalance, and the meds have been a source of healing I truly believe God sent me 7 years ago though I now know what was wrong with me as far as 30 years ago!  As of yet I cannot live without them, but it's ok; I am very glad to feel good and have a stable mood!  And yet I watched the Lord miraculously heal my husband.  Someone said once, people with depression strive harder to grow, and yes, I can relate to that!  On one side we see and know and feel the pains and trials we've been through; on the other side we see and know and feel how we have known the comfort of the Comforter!  Grace is given where it's needed, and if we had not needed we would not have known such Grace!  In our weakness we experience the love and power of God in us and toward us.  I bet anyone would hate to even think about being Job!  Yet, what kind of Grace did he know and experience?  I bet you have an idea Jim, and really I do too.  I wouldn't want to go through any of it again, but yet, what treasure I have now after it all!  And still, after all we have seen of God in us and in our behalf, still we sometimes find a need for his 70 X 7 forgiveness in a day.  Oh God, can you bear to hear me once again?  Surely you have lost patience with me!  And how many times have you kicked yourself for doubting him, after knowing He's never failed you?  Lately I hear this so much..."you have not because you ask not,"  and if you ask your Father for bread will he give you a stone?  So recently I asked one day out of real need and the very next day an answer came.  and a few days later in great need again, and the very next day a bigger answer!  Ok Kim, have you learned yet that God's children are to live by faith and even daily?  I am really starting to believe that it's far more about faith/trust than about our great efforts!  And I say that after "knowing" this truth for 30 years!  Yet just as God's Word is Living; it is new every morning!  Great is thy faithfullness Oh Lord!  Do we know that God is more delighted in us coming to him and trusting him like a child than in our great efforts and works?  But this is the work of the righteous, that we believe and trust Him!  Faith was counted as righteousness to Abraham right?  But we shall not forget that faith without works is dead.  God was not very happy when the 10 came back and said, we can't possess the land you promised us God, and brought us so far to come to possess.  Oops, they failed in the works part...the works part proves our faith and also brings the promises!  It's when we take the steps toward the promises that God "creates" the ways for them to occur.  But standing there just looking toward the promise land isn't going to do it, or...saying we love our enemies but not actually doing something to show it is not going to bring the promise that they will be made to be at peace with us.  The works can challenge us and our fears; they are a test of our faith.  True faith causes us to act...it quickens us; it comples us; and it makes life occur as if it is a substance that causes what we can't see to turn into something we can see!  Oh the Creator!  And he is saying to us today...you are not meant to walk as mere men, but as the sons of God!    Amen.....love Kim

+0
James Wright

2397 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/9/2008 8:05:22 PM

Kim thank you so much for stopping by and sharing your post. I believe there are those who must rely upon drugs to maintain their mood, and I thank God I am able to control mine without using them. I have a friend who is narcoleptic and she needs medication to control her mood swings as well as keep her from falling asleep during the day. What a life. All I can say, is I must count my blessings...one by one!

+0
Kim
Kim Stilwell

273 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
9/10/2008 12:39:43 AM
You know, having to take these meds is my least concern.  They are just a normal part of life like maybe taking vitamins would be.  They are like friends to me; they are good and I know God provided them.  This life is short and getting the race finished with victory is what matters no matter what we have to do to accomplish it.   In heaven we won't need such helps, and when we are home it won't have even mattered.  We all have our weaknesses and I consider depression one of mine...just one of many people can have, and no need to be down about it or any of the weaknesses we may have, because in them God proves to be so much stronger.  So by this, our weaknesses become a great strength.  The results of depression have caused me to grow and to fight to grow in many ways.  It has also allowed me to understand and know other people who live with it and suffer due to it, and so...victory again...because after we have known the comfort of the Comforter in some area we will then be able to comfort others with what we were given.  In my case I will be able to councel others, as God has recently blessed me with my lifes' desire and heart..in school again ultimately to be a councelor, and knowing it is part of long time promises related to callings.  So I say, no matter what we may feel afflicted by or held back by, God is able to use it for his gain and to our victory.  By the way, I remember your Dad, and know that it is all in God's hand.  Complete trust in God because our lives are very very signifigant to him and if a son asks him for bread he will not give him a stone, and whenever dad does go home, you know he will be waiting for you, so live today and be full of joy for the time that we will all be so happy together in heaven......Kim
+0
James Wright

2397 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/10/2008 3:06:01 PM

Kim, I'm thankful to know that taking the meds helps you live a normal life. I'm also thankful to know that you are trying to better yourself by going to school and becoming a councelor.

I have a new challenge facing me now. The company I'm working for is sending me to the Port of Spain, also known as Trinidad and Tobago. They have opened up a base there, and I have to spend the next 13 days down there in rotation, starting on Friday. I'm not sure what to expect, and I'm hearing they do not pay perdiem, which is foolishness, as far as I'm concerned, as this is not my home base, and it is in a foreign country. The cost of living is very high, and just coming from lay off for the past two months, I'm going to have a tough time surviving. There again the Lord has promised He will take care of us, and I'm counting on Him now.

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!