Menu

Kathleen Vanbeekom

13305 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: If I only had 1 word to say in advice...I would say: READING!
1/2/2008 3:16:51 PM

Thanks, Jo!  Happy New Year from me and Johnny Depp!!

New Reply
+0
1/2/2008 11:28:12 PM
Hello Kathleen,

Thank you for the very good advice, I do not always read everything myself.  I'm going to weed out some of the programs I joined and stick only with the ones that are doing the best.  Spreading yourself thin brings nothing but deception. For this new year I have to do better.  You are very wise and you have so much drive. I've been reading yours and Georgios' post, I had heard some of the stories but did not put much stock in it, but as I read in forums everywhere it tends to be the truth.  It really is too bad, because this is a wonderful community and we do have many good people here. The question is How do we clean it up, without being punished for it? maybe we should just say if it's chaos they want, chaos they will have, but then what are the new members to think of everyone? Que sera, sera! What will be, will be!
God Bless you my friend
Gaby

God Bless Everyone
New Reply
+0
Kathleen Vanbeekom

13305 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/3/2008 11:23:48 AM

Thanks, Gaby!
The elections that have awards of value should have cheat-proof voting or there shouldn't be elections, anyone who can manipulate the ballot is likely to manipulate all the ballots in all elections here, many of the elections use the same ballot.  Prestige of winning is value in itself, whether there's a monetary award or advertising award, or not. 

There are other issues of course, I think it would take a year-long study to truly determine a Person of the Year, based on many things besides popularity or cronyism, but since the voting is done by human beings, we all vote on our personal opinions.  The Person of the Week is always a popularity vote, and therefore all 52 POTWs were chosen on their popularity within the week they won POTW, so it would be difficult to put different criteria on the POTY, even though some people gain or lose some popularity between winning POTW and the time of the POTY election. 

Last year, I was told that the election is supposed to be just for fun, not to be taken so seriously...if that's true then either no one should vote or everyone should find out how to cheat. 

You asked
<< The question is How do we clean it up, without being punished for it? maybe we should just say if it's chaos they want, chaos they will have, but then what are the new members to think of everyone? >>

Exactly!  Well, lots of new members don't really know about the elections, and maybe they don't care.  I think lots of people join Adlandpro for a place to advertise, that's why I did.  All the forum discussions and elections lead to gains in marketing for people who are marketing, but I don't know what the personal gain is for people who are not marketing.  Just personal importance?  If that's all it is then maybe there should be 2 elections, one for people who are serious and one for those who just like to win, no matter what the reason or reward, or lack of it.

Why should any members be punished for suggesting changes?  But I know there could be a lot of backlash.  Why would anyone want to keep things the way they have been as far as the POTY is concerned?  I know this time lots of people were unhappy about the nominating rules, maybe first there should be a preliminary vote about nominating rules before everything gets started.   There's a year until the next one!  The next 12 months should be enough time for changes, but no matter how many people want change, the final decision is only up to 1 or 2 people. 

We'll be told to start our own elections, in that case, I would say Georgios could have won or tied Luella last year, or there should have been an entirely new election because of cheating from another nominee.  For this year, voting out of 52 POTW's from 2007, that would have discluded many of the people who are actually on this year's ballot because they were POTW's from previous years.

New Reply
+0
Nick Sym

23156 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/5/2008 4:14:57 AM
Breast Cancer Awareness On My Site! http://www.freewebs.com/nicksym Free exposure that works http://www.webbizinsider.com/Home.asp?RID=55242
New Reply
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!