Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Bogdan Fiedur

4629 Posts
Chat
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Forum Informum - Feedback for Business and Pleasure
10/18/2010 5:03:47 PM
Hi All,

I posted this post in the POTW forum where we had recently discussion about spam.

Over the weekend I was thinking of better ways to block spam and deal with it on community.
Since this topic has been addressed recently in this forum, I'm bringing it here first.

Here are some of the ideas how to deal with it.

First here is what you can do with spammer with your existing tools.

In regards to forums.

1. You can create forum with attribute "restricted". This forum will not allow anybody to start new threads in your forum.

2. You can delete a thread which has been started in your forum with the button which is provided on the thread level.

3. You can ban any member from your forum by clicking red button "Ban this user" button on the post level made by the user. This user can't see your forums or participate in them any more.

4. You can delete each post which was made by spammer by clicking delete button on the level of the post.

In regards to PMs

When a spammer sends you a message you can block that person permanently from sending further messages, there is a red button in the view of the message.

In all new posts (forums and pms), nobody can send a post more often than 1 minute. There is delay to stop mass spammers from quickly spamming large number of members.

In regards to profile comments

1. You can disable comments permanently by going to this link.
http://community.adlandpro.com/ProfileEditor.aspx?step=4 and selecting
Disable commenting on your profile.

2. You can delete any comment by clicking red cross next to the comment.

Here are couple of new ides to address some of the problems. .

It appears that commenting on profiles is most annoying and it is being done by new members who join only for the sake of spamming or promoting known Nigerian scams.

I believe that if we don't allow anybody during first week of their being here to put notes on the profile comments, this will eliminate 95% of problems.

The other problem appears to be that Nigerian scammers post PMs.

This could be eliminated by providing a limitation for new users who are here to send only 3 messages per day.

First the scammer wouldn't be able to post many messages and probably discouraged by this limitation, and if not somebody would report them early enough before they do more damage.

Let me know what do you think about those suggestions.

Bogdan Fiedur
Hello
+0
10/18/2010 5:45:44 PM

Bogdan, thank you.

I believe all of these are good and positive ways of removing a lot of spam.

I like all the new ideas also.

I do have a problem with my inbox in seeing the red box at bottom to click to not receive anymore mail from this person. I finally found a place to click but could not see the red box.

I believe if you ask a person nicely several times to not send ads to your inbox and as replies to messages, then the only thing you can do is just not receive mail from them.

I will also post these recommendations in Garden of Friendship - if you don't have time to.

Sara

+0
Mary Hofstetter

3481 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/18/2010 5:57:51 PM

Bogdan, the idea to keep new people from posting for several days upon arrival sounds good. I just hate restricting all my friends because of just one abuser. If you can carry this plan out I will open my "comments" to all my respectful friends. Until then it stays closed.

I have a further consideration. Do new people receive a welcome from you? Since you have defined spamming as posting unwanted p.m. consisting of ads, could that be stated in your welcome. Something like "Out of respect for our community members, please use places created for ads and refrain from posting ads on "Comments" and in personal messages."

You have mentioned Nigerian letters, let's discuss "the girlie proposals" as they are a different situation. They are here to find people through your personals ad opportunities. Please think of a plan for them.

Granted some will never pay attention but at least you have defined what we mean by spam as not all members here agree with that conclusion. I had a member tell me, the person is just doing what ALP is designed for. I diagreeded.

Thank you for caring .

+0
Bogdan Fiedur

4629 Posts
Chat
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/18/2010 6:30:05 PM
Quote:

Bogdan, the idea to keep new people from posting for several days upon arrival sounds good. I just hate restricting all my friends because of just one abuser. If you can carry this plan out I will open my "comments" to all my respectful friends. Until then it stays closed.

I have a further consideration. Do new people receive a welcome from you? Since you have defined spamming as posting unwanted p.m. consisting of ads, could that be stated in your welcome. Something like "Out of respect for our community members, please use places created for ads and refrain from posting ads on "Comments" and in personal messages."

You have mentioned Nigerian letters, let's discuss "the girlie proposals" as they are a different situation. They are here to find people through your personals ad opportunities. Please think of a plan for them.

Granted some will never pay attention but at least you have defined what we mean by spam as not all members here agree with that conclusion. I had a member tell me, the person is just doing what ALP is designed for. I diagreeded.

Thank you for caring .

Hi Mary,

I didn't really define what spamming is or what it is not.

All I said that these are the tools available and the new ideas in regards to how one can deal with spam.

Spam will be different things to different people as this is very broad concept. For what to you spam is, for the other person will be acceptable information, that's why my solutions are not about policing this community but about giving you the tools which will help you to deal with what you believe the spam for you is.

Daily we are removing between 5 to 10 accounts which are accounts for delivering Nigerian letters (we know those are scams), and for people posting adult related material on this site.

Adlandpro administration is not responsible in determining what is scam and what is misrepresentation in advertising.
This page regulates and describes our terms. We have no credentials, we are not equipped with the tools, we have no competence in determining what scam is, that's why it is member responsibility to do the due diligence and use discernment in accepting advertising and offers on this site.

Here is the paragraph about content posted by users using this site.

Content

As a user, you understand and agree to the following:

All postings, messages, text, files, images, photos, video, sounds, or other materials ("Content") posted on, transmitted through, or linked from the our services, are the sole responsibility of the person from whom such content originated.

The user understands that Adlandpro Community does not control, and is not responsible for content made available through our service, and that by using our service, he/she may be exposed to content that is offensive, indecent, inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise objectionable. Furthermore, Adlandpro Community site and content available through our service may contain links to other websites, which are completely independent of Adlandpro Community.

Adlandpro Community makes no representation or warranty as to the accuracy, completeness or authenticity of the information contained in any such site. Linking to any other websites is done so at the user's own risk.

Adlandpro Community assumes no responsibility for quality of items listed, or for the outcome of transactions initiated through our service. Adlandpro Community does not guarantee the truthfulness or accuracy of any ad placed on this site, and accepts no responsibility for claims of any kind resulting from the placement of such advertising. Adlandpro Community assumes all advertising is legitimate, and is not responsible for any faulty goods or services advertised.

The user is responsible for evaluating, and bearing all risks associated with, the use of any Content, the user may not rely on said Content, and that under no circumstances will Adlandpro Community be liable in any way for any content or for any loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of the use of any content posted, emailed or otherwise made available via the our services. The user acknowledges that Adlandpro Community does not pre-screen or approve Content, but that Adlandpro Community shall have the right (but not the obligation) in its sole discretion to refuse, delete or move any content that is available via our service, for violating the Terms & Conditions or for any other reason.

Bogdan Fiedur
Hello
+0
Bogdan Fiedur

4629 Posts
Chat
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/18/2010 6:40:32 PM
Quote:

Bogdan, thank you.

I believe all of these are good and positive ways of removing a lot of spam.

I like all the new ideas also.

I do have a problem with my inbox in seeing the red box at bottom to click to not receive anymore mail from this person. I finally found a place to click but could not see the red box.

I believe if you ask a person nicely several times to not send ads to your inbox and as replies to messages, then the only thing you can do is just not receive mail from them.

I will also post these recommendations in Garden of Friendship - if you don't have time to.

Sara

Hi Sara,

I'm not sure if I understand correctly. You saying that you couldn't see the red box.

This is relay red button, this is where confusion might occur. If you open post in PM, you will see three buttons at the bottom. |Reply | Delete| Stop messages from this user |

where the last one is in red.

If you click this button, this user can't contact you again.

Bogdan Fiedur

Hello
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!