Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
5/10/2011 6:21:46 PM

Hi Folks,

I hope I'm not too far off subject but here in the UK we are due a glut of strawberries.

If you were faced with lots and lots of strawberries what would you do with them?

Ideas?

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/10/2011 11:08:33 PM

Hi Myrna,

That Potato Salad sounds great, except I don't use any Sugar, and depending on who will be eating it, I do sometimes add Boiled Egg. Do you think that Potato Salad would go good with these Wings?

Staying with the Chicken theme for yet another day, these sweet, succulent wings look as delicious as they taste. Soy sauce, honey, molasses, and spices blend to make perfect, beautiful Chicken Wings.

Mahogany Chicken Wings

Ingredients

• 3-1/2 pounds chicken wings, split and tips discarded
  • 1/2 cup and 1 tablespoon and 2 teaspoons soy sauce
  • 1/2 cup and 1 tablespoon and 2 teaspoons honey
  • 1/4 cup and 2 teaspoons molasses
  • 2 tablespoons and 1-1/4 teaspoons chile sauce
  • 1-1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
  • 2-1/2 cloves garlic, finely chopped

Directions

1. Place chicken in a shallow, medium dish.
  2. In a medium bowl, mix soy sauce, honey, molasses, chile sauce, ground ginger and garlic. Pour the mixture over the chicken. Cover and refrigerate approximately 1 hour, turning occasionally.
  3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
  4. In a large baking dish, arrange chicken in a single layer. Bake in the preheated oven approximately 50 minutes, brushing with remaining soy sauce mixture often and turning once, until meat is no longer pink and juices run clear.

Have A Wonderful Week,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/10/2011 11:21:49 PM
Hi Roger,

It's Strawberry season around here as well, so here's a few ideas, depending on what you're looking for and what you like.

Of course, there's always that most Decadent of Desserts...

Chocolate Strawberries

The world's simplest dessert! Strawberries dipped in chocolate.

Ingredients

• 5 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
  • 1 pint fresh strawberries with leaves

Directions

1. In a microwave-safe bowl, or in the top of a double boiler over simmering water, cook chocolate until melted. Stir occasionally until chocolate is smooth. Holding berries by the stem, dip each one in molten chocolate, about three-quarters of the way to the stem. Place, stem side down, on wire rack and chill in refrigerator until hardened. Makes 15 Servings.
Then, there's another Dessert that one of my mother-in-laws gave me a recipe for, which I've lightened up by using less milk, reduced-fat whipped topping and angel food cake instead of pound cake. It's also good made with fresh peaches or blueberries.

Strawberries 'n' Cream Trifle

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 1/2 cups cold water
  • 1 (1 ounce) package sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix
  • 1 (8 ounce) container frozen reduced-fat frozen whipped topping, thawed
  • 1 (9 inch) prepared angel food cake
  • 4 cups sliced fresh strawberries
  • 3 whole fresh strawberries

Directions

1. In a bowl, whisk the milk and water. Whisk in the pudding mix for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set; fold in the whipped topping. Cut cake into 1/2-in. cubes.
  2. Spoon a third of the pudding mixture into a 4-qt. trifle or glass bowl. Top with half of the cake cubes and sliced strawberries. Repeat layers once. Top with remaining pudding mixture. Garnish with whole strawberries. Serves 12.
Finally, here's a lighter version of that easy no-bake desert. This has fresh strawberries and bananas, as well as pineapple and maraschino cherries.

Banana Split Cake

Ingredients

• 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
  • 1/4 cup butter, softened
  • 3 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 4 bananas
  • 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
  • 1 quart strawberries, stemmed and quartered
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar free strawberry glaze
  • 1 (12 ounce) container lite frozen whipped topping, thawed
  • 1 (10 ounce) jar maraschino cherries, drained and quartered

Directions

1. In a medium bowl, mix together the graham cracker crumbs and melted butter. Press into the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking pan. Chill to set.
  2. In a large bowl, mix together the cream cheese, butter and confectioners' sugar until smooth and creamy. Spread over the chilled graham cracker crust. Arrange the sliced bananas over the cream cheese mixture. Then cover with the drained crushed pineapple. Place strawberries cut side down over the pineapple layer, then coat with the strawberry glaze. Spread the whipped topping over the strawberry layer, decorate with maraschino cherries and sprinkle with chopped nuts.
  3. Refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving. Serves 24.
Then, just to balance the scales just a little, here's a Healthier option, a great, easy summer salad with a lot of options as to mixing and matching. When the Gorgonzola cheese and balsamic vinaigrette combine it gets all tart and creamy. Actually, you can throw in any summer fruit or berry with this mix, blueberries and raspberries are a good choice, as are blackberries later in the season.

Strawberry and Spinach Salad with Honey Balsamic Vinaigrette

Ingredients

• 1 bunch fresh spinach
  • 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
  • 1/2 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
  • 1/2 cup raw pecans
  • 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • salt and ground black pepper to taste

Directions

1. Combine the spinach, strawberries, Gorgonzola cheese, and pecans in a large bowl.
  2. Stir the balsamic vinegar and honey together in a bowl; slowly stream the olive oil into the mixture while whisking continuously. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle the dressing over the salad just before serving. Serves 4.

Finally, for my Personal Favorite, a fruit covered cookie crust that is shaped like a pizza. Try using star fruit, peaches, bananas, kiwi, orange slices, blueberries, and pineapples.

Fruit Pizza

Ingredients

• 1 (18 ounce) package refrigerated sugar cookie dough
  • 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
  • 1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed

• 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries

• 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1/2 cup orange juice
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/2 teaspoon orange zest

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Slice cookie dough and arrange on greased pizza pan, overlapping edges. Press dough flat into pan. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Allow to cool.
  2. In a large bowl, soften cream cheese, then fold in the whipped topping. Spread over cooled crust. You can chill for a while at this point, or continue by arranging the fruit.
  3. Begin with strawberries, sliced in half. Arrange in a circle around the outside edge. Continue with fruit of your choice, working towards the middle. If bananas are used, dip them in lemon juice so they don't darken. Then make a sauce to spoon over fruit.
  4. In a saucepan, combine sugar, salt, corn starch, orange juice, lemon juice and water. Cook and stir over medium heat. Bring to a boil, and cook for 1 or 2 minutes, until thickened. Remove from heat, and add grated orange rind. Allow to cool, but not set up. Spoon over fruit. Chill for two hours, then cut into wedges and serve. Serves 8.

That's just a few suggestions. As you can probably tell, I love Fruit in general, and Strawberries in particular. Love this time of year!!

Have A Terrific Week,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/11/2011 8:15:48 AM

They are great recipies Phil.

I love the sound of the salad.

I'm copying these now.

Are there any good strawberry dishes that freeze well? Strawberries don't freeze very well on their own. Ice cream is one of course.

Here is a quick solution (sorry about UK measures)

Easy strawberry ice cream

The simplest type of ice cream: make a sweet fruit purée, add whipped cream, freeze. I often find commercial strawberry ice cream a bit disappointing, but this actually tastes of strawberries. Look out for sweetly perfumed varieties, such as English Rose and Driscoll Jubilee. It's best eaten quickly after making and slightly soft. You can try it with other berries, though you'll have to sieve blackcurrants, raspberries and the like, and may also have to adjust the sugar. Remember: cold kills flavour, so the mixture needs to be sweeter than you think.

Serves 6

350g ripe strawberries

1 lemon, juiced

/½ orange, juiced

¼ teaspoon natural vanilla extract

125g caster sugar

300ml chilled whipping cream

Cut out the stalks and leaves from the strawberries. Whizz the fruit to a purée in a food processor or blender, then mix with the lemon and orange juice, vanilla extract and sugar. Leave to stand for an hour or two until the sugar has dissolved.

Whip the cream until it forms soft, lolloping peaks. Stir in the strawberry purée and gently whip to combine. Churn in an ice-cream machine or still-freeze (see link).

After churning, scrape into a container, cover and give it a couple of hours in the freezer to harden to a softly scoopable consistency, then eat immediately. If

you find it freezes solid, let the ice cream soften again for 15-20 minutes in the fridge before serving.

Roger

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/11/2011 6:58:58 PM
Hi Roger,
I am so glad that you liked the Recipes. I appreciate the Recipe for Strawberry Ice Cream. I'll try it this Weekend.
As for some other frozen treats, I don't have many, but here's a few favorites of mine. While it's made with only three ingredients, this cool refreshing dessert goes together in a jiffy, yet it's fancy enough to serve for a special occasion.

Chilled Strawberry Cream

Ingredients

• 2 cups frozen unsweetened whole strawberries
  • 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 1/2 cup whipping cream

Directions

1. Place the strawberries and sugar in a blender or food processor; cover and process until finely chopped. In a small mixing bowl, beat cream until stiff peaks form. Fold into berries. Pour into serving dishes. Refrigerate or freeze for 25 minutes. Serves 2.

In this next recipe, the applesauce and strawberry chunks give substance to this lovely rose-colored treat. This refreshing gelatin salad is not only great-tasting, but it's also quite good for you.

Berry Applesauce Gelatin

Ingredients

• 1 (6 ounce) package strawberry gelatin
  • 1 cup boiling water
  • 2 cups frozen unsweetened strawberries
  • 2 cups applesauce
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice

Directions

1. In a bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Stir in the strawberries until thawed and separated. Add the applesauce and lemon juice; mix well. Pour into an 11-in. x 7-in. x 2-in. pan; chill until set. Serves 8.

Finally, I'm afraid that I don't have a Photo of this great frozen dessert, which will hold in the freezer for weeks. Everyone will love it! A really nice substitute for ice cream.

Champagne Salad

Ingredients

• 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 (15 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
  • 1 (16 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
  • 1 (10 ounce) package frozen strawberries, thawed
  • 3 bananas, diced
  • 3/4 cup chopped walnuts

Directions

1. In a large bowl, cream together the cream cheese and sugar. Fold in the pineapple, whipped topping and strawberries and mix well. Stir in bananas and walnuts.
  2. Freeze for 4 to 6 hours or overnight. Remove from freezer 1 to 2 hours before serving. Enjoy! Serves 9.

Hope Your Week's Wonderful,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!