Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
3/25/2011 7:53:50 PM

Hello My Friends,

Any German can tell you that wurst and cabbage go hand in hand. Any Spaniard will say the same of chorizo and beans. But it takes a special, international inclination to make the case for kielbasa with Brussels sprouts, white beans, and mustard. I'll tell you that it works wonderfully! The saltiness of the pork combined with the bitter, gentle crunch of the Brussels sprouts and mildness of the beans is well-balanced perfection. Plus, its cheap, easy, and looks good on a plate.

Kielbasa with Brussels Sprouts in Mustard Cream Sauce

Ingredients

• 1 shallot, peeled and quartered
  • 4 large garlic cloves
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • kosher salt to taste
  • 1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts, halved
  • 2 tablespoons coarse Dijon mustard
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 1 pound kielbasa sausage, cut on the bias into 1/4-inch slices
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream
  • 1 cup white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
  • ground black pepper to taste

Directions

1. Preheat an oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
  2. Place shallot and garlic cloves over two layers of aluminum foil. Coat with 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil and season with salt. Wrap the shallot and garlic with the foil, creating a pouch. Bake in the preheated oven until the garlic is tender, about 30 minutes. Place shallot and garlic in a bowl and mash using a fork. Set aside.
  3. Meanwhile, place a steamer insert into a saucepan, and fill with water to just below the bottom of the steamer. Cover, and bring the water to a boil. Add the Brussels sprouts, cover, and steam until just tender, 2 to 6 minutes depending on thickness. Set aside.
  4. Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat. Lay the kielbasa into the hot skillet and cook, turning occasionally, until evenly browned and crispy, about 3 minutes on each side. Remove the kielbasa from the skillet with a slotted spoon to retain the grease in the skillet; drain the sausage slices on a paper towel-lined plate.
  5. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet. Cook the mashed shallot and garlic in the hot oil for 1 minute. Stir in the mustard and cream. Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the Brussels sprouts and beans. Toss to coat and season with salt and pepper. Continue cooking until heated through. Serve the kielbasa over the Brussels sprouts and beans.

I don't know about you, but I love homemade Rye Bread, especially with a robust, flavorful meal such as this one. This is a hearty bread, one that you mix in the bread machine, but bake in the oven. I always recommend baking in the oven because the loaf is fuller and the top is much nicer. I hope you enjoy it.

Pumpernickel Rye Bread

Ingredients

• 1 1/4 cups warm water
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons molasses
  • 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup rye flour
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/4 cup bread flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3 tablespoons dry milk powder
  • 2 teaspoons instant coffee powder
  • 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 tablespoon caraway seed
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast

Directions

1. Place ingredients into the pan of the bread machine in the order suggested by the manufacturer. Select Whole Wheat cycle, and Start.
  2. After the first rise, remove dough from the machine. Shape, and place into a lightly oiled 9x5 inch loaf pan. Cover, and let rise for 1 hour.
  3. Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes. Remove from oven, and let cool before slicing

Wishing You A Wonderful Weekend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/29/2011 6:14:38 PM

Hello Everyone,

Not really sure if anyone's still out there or not, but here's another recipe anyway, just in case. Thin, breaded chicken is topped with a flavorful lime-butter sauce. Pounding them doesn't take long and the resulting tender chicken is worth it.

Chicken Breasts with Lime Sauce

Ingredients

• 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - pounded to 1/4 inch thickness
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 2/3 cup dry bread crumbs
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 lime, juiced
  • 6 tablespoons butter
  • 1 teaspoon minced fresh chives
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed

Directions

1. Coat chicken breasts with egg, and dip in bread crumbs. Place on a wire rack, and allow to dry for about 10 minutes.
  2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place chicken into the skillet, and fry for 3 to 5 minutes on each side. Remove to a platter, and keep warm.
  3. Drain grease from the skillet, and squeeze in lime juice. Cook over low heat until it boils. Add butter, and stir until melted. Season with chives and dill. Spoon sauce over chicken, and serve immediately.

Have A Good One My Friends,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/29/2011 11:42:48 PM
Hi Phil,

I am still here. Look at your recipes all the time. The Lime Chicken looks good.

Myrna

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Cheryl Baxter

2279 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/30/2011 2:18:39 AM
Hi Phil,

Hey, your recipes always sound good to me. If you're ever in Texas, I'll let you cook for me anytime! How does that sound? :-)

Hope you are doing great Phil & I wanted to wish you a happy birthday...we share March as our birthdays. Mine was just today in fact, I saw yours on fb, but here's to another happy wish coming your way!

Take care,

Cheryl
http://texasgalswholesaleproperties.com "browse our current properties" http://fortworthwholesaleproperty.com "check out our real estate blog" http://mydiscountchristianbooks.com "online bibles, books, music, more"
+0
4/2/2011 3:05:44 PM

Phil, that not only looks good, it sounds wonderful!!

Must try it! Thank you friend.

Sara

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!