Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
3/20/2011 1:24:59 AM

Hello My Friends,

Once again, a very busy Weekend, but still time for some Good Eating. This marinated chicken is a fantastic way to broil chicken that adds that extra something. Marinated chicken breasts broiled with bacon and cheese, then served with sauteed mushrooms and honey mustard dressing.

Alice Chicken

Ingredients

• 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
  • 5 fluid ounces Worcestershire sauce
  • 8 slices bacon
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 (8 ounce) package Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
  • 1 (16 ounce) container honey mustard salad dressing

Directions

1. Place chicken in a glass dish or bowl; poke with a fork several times, then pour Worcestershire sauce in and turn to coat. Cover dish or bowl and refrigerate for about 1 hour.
  2. Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, and set aside.
  3. Heat butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, and saute for about 10 minutes, or until soft; set aside.
  4. Preheat oven to Broil.
  5. Remove chicken from marinade (discard any remaining liquid), and broil for about 5 minutes each side. When chicken is almost finished, top each breast with 2 slices bacon, then cheese. Continue to broil until cheese has melted, then remove from oven. Serve with mushrooms and salad dressing for topping.

Here's a little something out of the ordinary, but still one of my favorites. Light and fluffy pancakes with lots of soft cabbage and onions that goes perfectly with a little dollop of sour cream on top and an onion-rhubarb relish on the side.

Cabbage Cakes

Ingredients

• 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/2 small head cabbage, cored and sliced thin
  • 1 onion, thinly sliced
  • black pepper to taste
  • 1 1/3 cups plain yogurt
  • 2/3 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups flour
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • butter (optional)

Directions

1. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in the cabbage and onion; cook and stir until the vegetables are soft and fragrant, about 10 minutes. Season with pepper, and set pan aside to cool.
  2. Whisk together the yogurt, milk, vegetable oil, and eggs in a bowl until evenly blended; set aside. Stir together the flour, baking powder, and baking soda in a large bowl. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Pour the wet mixture into the well, then stir until well combined. Fold the cooled cabbage and onions into the pancake batter.
  3. Heat a large skillet over medium heat, and butter or oil if necessary. Pour 1/4 cupfuls of batter onto the skillet, and cook until bubbles appear on the surface. Flip with a spatula, and cook until browned on the other side.

Have A Wonderful Night My Friends,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/21/2011 2:12:29 PM

Hello My Friends,

Here's a favorite casserole that I've been making for a least a dozen years and it's always been a hit. Even the meat-eaters in my family like it. Serve with a crusty French bread or soft breadsticks, and the leftovers are great in an omelet the next day.

Zucchini Herb Casserole

Ingredients

• 1/3 cup uncooked long grain white rice
  • 2/3 cup water
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 1/2 pounds zucchini, cubed
  • 1 cup sliced green onions
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons garlic salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon basil
  • 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 1/2 cups seeded, chopped tomatoes
  • 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided

Directions

1. Combine the rice and water in a saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes, until rice is tender.
  2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a shallow 1 1/2 quart casserole dish.
  3. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat, and cook the zucchini, green onions, and garlic 5 minutes, or until tender. Season with garlic salt, basil, paprika, and oregano. Mix in the cooked rice, tomatoes, and 1 cup cheese. Continue to cook and stir until heated through. Transfer to the prepared casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese.
  4. Bake uncovered 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.

Try this Bread with your Dinner. It has a great flavor, it's moist, light and has a crispy crust.

Rosemary Bread

Ingredients

• 1 cup water
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons white sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
  • 2 1/2 cups bread flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast

Directions

1. Place ingredients in the pan of the bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Select white bread cycle; press Start

Have A Marvelous Monday,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/22/2011 1:44:44 AM
Hi Phil,
ok papa I am having a free friends in for dinner and several of them have diabetes . Can you give a good dessert?

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/23/2011 6:30:00 PM

Hi Myrna,

Sorry to be so tardy getting back to you, but yesterday kept me hopping. But then as you know I'm sure, I'll only get to turn 39 w/25 years of experience once in my lifetime, so I took some time to enjoy it.

There's countless Desserts that are safe for Diabetics and I've tried many, if not most, of them. Since I know that you prefer not to use Splenda, which is what I generally use myself, here's one of my favorites which uses Sweet & Low.

Applesauce Cake

1/2 cup butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons Sweet 'N LowÒ Brown granulated sugar substitute
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup raisins and nuts, cut in pieces
1/4 teaspoon powdered cloves
1 cup cold, unsweetened applesauce
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda

Cream butter; beat in Sweet 'N Low Brown gradually. Add applesauce. Add flour sifted with soda, salt and spices. Add raisins and nuts. Spread in a floured 9-inch pan sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Bake 25 minutes at 350°F.

Hope this helps my Friend.

Have A Great Week,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/23/2011 6:51:52 PM

Hello My Friends,

Speaking of Birthdays, this was an early Birthday Gift from a Friend of mine last week, and I've been having a serious love affair with my Panini Press ever since. After getting inspired by some of those deliciously fattening Panini recipes I found over at Fine Cooking.com, I spent a lot of time playing around with some ingredients and coming up with some lower calorie versions of yummy new Weight Watcher friendly Sandwich Recipes.

One of my favorites was the Turkey and Provolone Panini with a Chipotle Mayo Dressing. The key was keeping all the ingredients as light and low calorie as I could, so that I could splurge a bit on the dressing, because really, who doesn’t like mayo? I also used a bit of nonfat plain Greek yogurt in the dressing mix so that I could bulk up the amount that I used without cranking up the calories and fat like mayo does. The end result was this delicious, low calorie panini recipe that would make a great dinner or healthy hot lunch idea.

Turkey and Provolone Panini Recipe

Ingredients:

- 8 oz thinly sliced reduced-sodium deli turkey
- 8 slices light, whole-wheat bread
- 4 slices light provolone cheese
- 8 tomato slices
- 8 slices of roasted red peppers (drained and rinsed if you are using jarred and peeled if roasting your own)
- 2 tbsp reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/2 tbsp ground chili chipotle seasoning
- 2 tbp chopped fresh basil
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed juice (about 1.5 limes)
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper

Directions:

1. Combine mayonnaise, yogurt, chipotle seasoning, basil, lime juice, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Spread about 2 teaspoons of the mixture on each slice of bread. Divide cheese slices, turkey, red peppers and tomato slices evenly among 4 slices of bread; top with the remaining bread.
2. If using a Panini press, just heat it up and place your sandwich in the press and close. Cook until all the insides of the sandwich are hot and cheese is melted.
3. If you are not using a Panini press, just spray a large nonstick skillet with non fat cooking spray (I prefer Pam Butter Flavored for this) and set over medium heat. Place 2 paninis in the pan. Place another medium skillet on top of the paninis, then weight it down with some large/heavy canned goods. Cook the paninis until golden on one side, about 2 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low, flip the paninis, replace the top skillet and cans, and cook until the second side is golden, 1 to 3 minutes more. Re-spray the pan and repeat with the remaining paninis.

Entire recipe makes 4 servings. Each serving = 5 WW Points and 223 calories; 6 g fat; 32 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 7 g fiber

Have A Terrific Wednesday,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!