Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
2/26/2011 10:25:47 PM

Hello My Friends,

You no longer must wait for the Holidays to treat your Friends and Family to a Delicious Honey Ham. Matter of fact, my Family and I will be sharing this Ham tomorrow evening at Dinner.

This ham tastes very much like the famous Honey Baked Ham, but costs much less, and there's no need to fight the crowds at the store. You can even buy the ham presliced to make it easier and more like the original. This buttery glaze will do the trick on a spiral-cut ham from your grocery store.

I do this while preparing the rest of the meal in the kitchen, so that I don't forget to baste.

Honey Glazed Ham

Ingredients

• 1 (5 pound) ready-to-eat ham
  • 1/4 cup whole cloves
  • 1/4 cup dark corn syrup
  • 2 cups honey
  • 2/3 cup butter

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
  2. Score ham, and stud with the whole cloves. Place ham in foil lined pan.
  3. In the top half of a double boiler, heat the corn syrup, honey and butter. Keep glaze warm while baking ham.
  4. Brush glaze over ham, and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Baste ham every 10 to 15 minutes with the honey glaze. During the last 4 to 5 minutes of baking, turn on broiler to caramelize the glaze. Remove from oven, and let sit a few minutes before serving.

For a taste of something different, these sweet potatoes and potatoes combine to make a different type of salad that will pleasantly surprise you, and will compliment your Ham as well.

Sweet Potato Potato Salad

Ingredients

• 2 potatoes
  • 1 sweet potato
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 stalks celery, chopped
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 3/4 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper

Directions

1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm, about 30 minutes. Drain, cool, peel and chop.
  2. Place eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring water to a boil. Cover, remove from heat, and let eggs stand in hot water for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from hot water; cool, peel and chop.
  3. Combine the potatoes, eggs, celery and onion.
  4. Whisk together the mayonnaise, mustard, salt and pepper. Add to potato mixture, toss well to coat. Refrigerate and serve chilled.

Hope Your Saturday's Great,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Patricia Bartch

9394 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/26/2011 10:58:21 PM
sounds delicious Phil. that glaze would be good on pork chops or pork roast too. thanks for posting it.

Pat

I'm Your AVON LADY: http://youravon.com/pbartch *Ask me how to get FREE Shipping.
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/27/2011 6:04:02 PM

Hi Pat,

It's great to see you visiting here at the Forum. Yes, that glaze is good with any kind of pork. Speaking of Glazed Pork, here's one that my mom used to make, and it was always a big hit. Everyone seems to like pork chops with applesauce.

Apple Glazed Pork Chops

Ingredients

• 4 pork chops, 1 inch thick
  • 1 tart green apple - peeled, cored and chopped
  • 1 1/2 cups applesauce
  • 1 (1 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
  2. In a medium skillet over medium heat, brown pork chops about 5 minutes on each side.
  3. In a small bowl, mix apple, applesauce, and onion soup mix. Place the browned pork chops in a medium baking dish. Top with the apple mixture.
  4. Bake pork chops about 30 minutes in the preheated oven, to an internal temperature of 160 degrees F.

Have A Terrific Day My Friend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/28/2011 11:45:50 PM

Hello My Friends,

I don't know about you, but sometimes I just like to have a crowd over for Breakfast. Here's a couple of ideas for a little something different to serve, the next time the Mood strikes.

First we have Eggs Benedict with a twist. Smoked salmon and rye bread add a new twist to the traditional Eggs Benedict. Sauce can be set aside at room temp for up to one hour. When ready to serve, reheat gently in double boiler.

Eggs Benedict with Salmon

Ingredients

• 3/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
  • 2 teaspoons lemon juice
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 1/2 teaspoon prepared Dijon-style mustard
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon white sugar
  • 1 pinch ground black pepper
  • 1 dash hot pepper sauce
  • 8 eggs
  • 8 slices rye bread
  • 8 ounces smoked salmon, cut into thin slices
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
  • 1 teaspoon capers, for garnish

Directions

1. To make the sauce: In the top of a double boiler, whisk together yogurt, lemon juice, egg yolks, mustard, salt, sugar, pepper and hot sauce. Cook over simmering water while stirring constantly, for 6 to 8 minutes, or until sauce is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon.
  2. In a large stock pot heat 2 quarts of salted water to a boil. Carefully break the eggs one at a time into the boiling water. When all the eggs have been added, reduce the heat to medium. When the eggs float to the top, remove them with a slotted spoon and let drain briefly.
  3. To assemble final dish: Toast bread slices and place on warm plates. Top each piece of toast with a slice of smoked salmon and a hot poached egg. Drizzle with yogurt sauce; garnish with parsley and capers.

Serves 8.

Asparagus Mini Quiche

1 bunch asparagus, trimmed
salt and freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 large eggs
1 large egg yolk
Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
All-purpose flour, for work surface
1 box pre made pie crust
3 ounces finely shredded Gruyere cheese
2 ounces cooked ham, cut into 1/4-inch pieces

Preheat oven to 375 F. Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Cut 3 inches from the tip-ends of the asparagus; reserving remaining stalks for another use. Generously add salt to boiling water. Add asparagus, and cook until just tender, about 2 minutes. Drain well. Cut asparagus tips into 1/2-inch pieces; set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, heavy cream, eggs, yolk, and nutmeg. Season with salt and pepper. Strain through a sieve into a medium bowl; set aside.

On a lightly floured surface, roll out pie crust to slightly less than 1/8 inch thick. Use a 2 3/4-inch round cutter to cut out 24 rounds. Fit rounds into a 24-cup nonstick small muffin tin.

Divide half of Gruyere cheese evenly between the lined cups. Top with ham. Divide egg mixture evenly between cups. Top each with 3 to 4 pieces of asparagus. Sprinkle with remaining Gruyere cheese.

Bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes, or until puffed and golden brown. Remove asparagus mini quiches from the oven; immediately remove mini quiches from muffin tin, transfer to a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.

24 Servings

May You Awaken To A Bright & Beautiful Morning,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/1/2011 10:09:29 PM

Hello Friends,

This evening we have a great Chicken Recipe that I have made for years. Lemon-infused chicken is topped with a creamy mushroom sauce. Serve with rice and a fresh veggie, like the Roasted Asparagus which follows.

Baked Lemon Chicken with Mushroom Sauce

Ingredients

• 6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 lemon
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 3 cups fresh sliced mushrooms
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C).
  2. Place the olive oil in an 8x8 glass baking dish. Place the chicken breasts in the dish, coating each side with oil. Squeeze the juice of 1/2 lemon over all. Slice the rest of the lemon and place a lemon slice on top of each chicken piece. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes until brown.
  3. In a large skillet, melt the 1/4 cup butter or margarine. Add the sliced mushrooms. Cook and stir until the mushrooms are brown and have exuded their juices, about 6 minutes. Sprinkle with the flour and blend. Add the chicken broth, stirring to make a medium thick sauce. Allow to reduce, adjusting with a little more broth to make a creamy sauce. Add fresh parsley at the last minute. Spoon the sauce over the lemon baked chicken breasts.

This recipe is as flavorful and delicious as it is easy to prepare. Comes out perfect every time. You will never want soggy steamed asparagus ever again.

Roasted Asparagus with Shallots

Ingredients

• 2 bunches fresh asparagus spears, trimmed
  • 4 medium shallots, thinly sliced
  • 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar, divided
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. Place the asparagus and shallots in a large bowl, and pour the olive oil and 2 tablespoons of the vinegar over them. Season with salt and pepper, and toss to coat evenly. Spread the asparagus spears out in a single layer on a baking sheet.
  3. Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until tender and bright green. Shake the pan about half way through to roll the spears over so they cook evenly. Remove from the oven, and drizzle the remaining vinegar over the asparagus. Toss lightly to coat, and serve immediately.

Have A Great Evening,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!