Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
1/6/2011 12:18:42 AM
Hi Phil,

Well you finally posted what I needed, but then again, I didn't know what I needed to ask you for it. lol I have been wanting a good recipe for Ricotta Fettuccine Alfredo with Broccoli,
I had this in New York and it was made with peas. It was so good, but such a huge amount, I could not eat near all of it. So thanks for posting the Fettuccine recipe.

Myrna
LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/6/2011 4:44:00 AM

Hi Myrna,

So good to see you here my Friend, and I'm always glad to be of service. Fettuccine is a staple around here at my house, and I really like this particular Recipe, since it's lower in both Fat as well as Sodium.

As the weather turns Colder and Winter settles in, you all will notice that I'll be making a lot of Soups and Stews. A homemade stock adds depth and body to soup, stews, and braises. Homemade stock provides a background to soup, so the ingredients you choose should be supportive, not overwhelming. Yesterday's, or even last week's, vegetables are fine, as long as they're still healthy. The beauty of stock ingredients is that the ideal ingredients are quite often the trimmings from the soup you're about to make (leek roots and leaves, tiny, end-of-the-head garlic cloves, potato parings, celery leaves, parsley stems, etc.)

Use a stockpot that is tall and narrow to help slow water loss from evaporation. To extract the most flavor from your stock ingredients, start with cold water. Meat stocks benefit from long, slow cooking while vegetable stocks do not. While quick vegetable stocks should take 25 to 30 minutes; basic vegetable stocks, 45 minutes to one hour and chicken or beef stocks can take anywhere from one hour to five--longer if you're using a slow cooker. Remember, certain herbs and vegetables will turn bitter as they steep, so strain as soon as the stock is finished.

Some vegetables should be avoided altogether in stocks. For example, the cabbage family (turnips, rutabagas, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, etc.) does not do well in stock. Nor do most powdered herbs, ground black pepper, artichoke trimmings, or too many greens. Use whole peppercorns and bay leaves, as these are easy to strain out.

Cool your strained stock by filling the kitchen sink with ice water. Place the pot in the cold water bath, and stir every once in awhile, or until the broth is tepid. You can safely store in the refrigerator for up to five days, or in the freezer for up to three months.

I'll start off tonight with a good basic Vegetable Stock, which is of course, perfect for us Vegetarians. Then tomorrow I'll feature my basic Beef & Chicken Stock.

Basic Vegetable Stock

Ingredients

• 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 large onion
  • 2 stalks celery, including some leaves
  • 2 large carrots
  • 1 bunch green onions, chopped
  • 8 cloves garlic, minced
  • 8 sprigs fresh parsley
  • 6 sprigs fresh thyme
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 quarts water

Directions

1. Chop scrubbed vegetables into 1-inch chunks. Remember, the greater the surface area, the more quickly vegetables will yield their flavor.
  2. Heat oil in a soup pot. Add onion, celery, carrots, scallions, garlic, parsley, thyme, and bay leaves. Cook over high heat for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
  3. Add salt and water and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Strain. Discard vegetables.
  4. Other ingredients to consider: mushrooms, eggplant, asparagus (butt ends), corn cobs, fennel (stalks and trimmings), bell peppers, pea pods, chard (stems and leaves), celery root parings, marjoram (stems and leaves), basil, potato parings . I think that you probably get the idea.

Have A Restful Evening My Friend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/6/2011 11:00:26 PM

Hi Friends,

As promised yesterday, first today, we'll have my favorte recipes for Beef Stock and for Chicken Stock. Then, as a Treat, we'll have a little something different with Onions.

Basic Beef Stock

Ingredients

• 6 pounds beef soup bones
  • 1 large onion
  • 3 large carrots
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 stalks celery, including some leaves
  • 1 large tomato
  • 1/2 cup chopped parsnip
  • 1/2 cup cubed potatoes
  • 8 whole black peppercorns
  • 4 sprigs fresh parsley
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons dried thyme
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 12 cups water

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Slice onion. Chop scrubbed celery and carrots into 1-inch chunks. In a large shallow roasting pan place soup bones, onion, and carrots. Bake, uncovered, about 30 minutes or until the bones are well browned, turning occasionally.
  2. Drain off fat. Place the browned bones, onion, and carrots in a large soup pot or Dutch oven. Pour 1/2 cup water into the roasting pan and rinse. Pour this liquid into soup pot. Add celery, tomato, parsnips, potato parings, peppercorns, parsley, bay leaf, salt, thyme, and garlic. Add the 12 cups water.
  3. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 5 hours. Strain stock. Discard meat, vegetables, and seasonings.
  4. To clarify stock for clear soup: In order to remove solid flecks that are too small to be strained out with cheesecloth, combine 1/4 cup cold water, 1 egg white, and 1 crushed eggshell. Add to strained stock. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat, and let stand 5 minutes. Strain again through a sieve lined with cheesecloth.

Basic Chicken Stock

Ingredients

• 1 pound chicken parts
  • 1 large onion
  • 3 stalks celery, including some leaves
  • 1 large carrot
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 3 whole cloves
  • 6 cups water
  • 1/4 cup cold water (optional)
  • 1 egg

Directions

1. Quarter onion. Chop scrubbed celery and carrot into 1 inch chunks. Place chicken pieces, onion, celery, carrot, salt, and cloves in large soup pot or Dutch oven. Add 6 cups water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 1 hour.
  2. Remove chicken and vegetables. Strain stock. Skim fat off the surface.
  3. To clarify stock for clear soup, removing solid flecks that are too small to be strained out with cheesecloth, follow this method. Separate the egg white from the egg yolk, and reserve the shell. In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup cold water, egg white, and crushed eggshell. Add to strained stock, and bring to a boil. Remove from heat, and let stand 5 minutes. Strain again through a sieve lined with cheesecloth.

Now, as promised, a little something different with an Onion. These Onions are first stuffed with a mixture of rice, sausage, bell pepper, cream cheese and herbs, and then baked. Delicious to eat, but not suggested for a Date Night. Of course, this tastes best using Vidalia onions, whenever they are in season

Baked Stuffed Onions

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup uncooked white rice
  • 6 large Vidalia onions
  • 3/4 pound ground spicy pork sausage
  • 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Lightly grease a baking dish.
  2. In a saucepan bring 1 cup water to a boil. Add rice and stir. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Peel onions and slice off the tops; boil for 12 to 15 minutes, or until tender but not mushy. Drain, cool and remove the centers, leaving the shell intact. Chop onion centers and reserve 1/2 cup.
  3. Place sausage in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain and set aside, reserving drippings. Saute green pepper and 1/2 cup chopped onion in sausage drippings.
  4. In a large bowl combine green pepper, onion, sausage, egg, 1 cup cooked rice, cream cheese, oregano and parsley. Spoon mixture into onion shells and place in prepared dish. Combine melted butter and paprika; brush tops of onions.
  5. Cover and bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Uncover, and bake an additional 5 minutes.

Have A Terrific Thursday,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/6/2011 11:27:52 PM
Hi Phil,

Me thinks you went overboard with all you recipes. I sure do appreciate the ones for making stock. My mother always said the best stock comes from the bones. I got a large bone a few weeks ago and made a big pot of vegetable soup. It was great. I cooked that bone until it feel apart.

I use very little of any kind of canned products, I trust my cooking more. lol

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
1/6/2011 11:29:06 PM

Happy Thursday Phil, I couldn't decide whether to post this recipe here or in you joke forum and finally decided to post it here. :) This one is in honor of my wonderful engineer son-in-law. :)

Why Engineers Don't Write Recipe Books

Chocolate Chip Cookies:

Ingredients:

1. 532.35 cm3 gluten
2. 4.9 cm3 NaHCO3
3. 4.9 cm3 refined halite
4. 236.6 cm3 partially hydrogenated tallow triglyceride
5. 177.45 cm3 crystalline C12H22O11
6. 177.45 cm3 unrefined C12H22O11
7. 4.9 cm3 methyl ether of protocatechuic aldehyde
8. Two calcium carbonate-encapsulated avian albumen-coated protein
9. 473.2 cm3 theobroma cacao
10. 236.6 cm3 de-encapsulated legume meats (sieve size #10)

To a 2-L jacketed round reactor vessel (reactor #1) with an overall heat transfer coefficient of about 100 Btu/F-ft2-hr, add ingredients one, two and three with constant agitation. In a second 2-L reactor vessel with a radial flow impeller operating at 100 rpm, add ingredients four, five, six, and seven until the mixture is homogenous. To reactor #2, add ingredient eight, followed by three equal volumes of the homogenous mixture in reactor #1. Additionally, add ingredient nine and ten slowly, with constant agitation. Care must be taken at this point in the reaction to control any temperature rise that may be the result of an exothermic reaction.

Using a screw extrude attached to a #4 nodulizer, place the mixture piece-meal on a 316SS sheet (300 x 600 mm). Heat in a 460K oven for a period of time that is in agreement with Frank & Johnston's first order rate expression (see JACOS, 21, 55), or until golden brown. Once the reaction is complete, place the sheet on a 25C heat-transfer table, allowing the product to come to equilibrium.

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!