Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
12/13/2010 1:11:09 AM
Hi Phil,

Do you plan your meals a week ahead. Which is a great idea. With it just being me, it is what am going to have for dinner tonight. I buy things and forget I have them, then when going through the cupboard I think, Oh, that sounds good, I will have that. Are you laughing yet?

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/13/2010 1:44:09 AM

Hi Myrna,

I would love to be able to say that I'm that well organized, but I'm afraid I'm not. I generally buy Meat every two weeks, unless there's a major sale at one of the Grocery stores. Since I prefer fresh Vegetables, I generally shop for Produce several times per week. I don't have a lot of prepared foods, or ready-meals in the cupboard to choose from, since I usually can't take either the Sodium or the Sugar in most of them.

Whenever I know that I'll be feeding 6 or more, like tomorrow, I usually need to know what I'll be fixing, at least several days ahead. You also must remember that I do not eat most Meats, so I've also got to have something for myself to eat, in addition to the Family. Here's a little something that I like and I can whip it up in a hurry and I usually have everything I need on hand at short notice. This enjoyable stir-fry, with hints of soy sauce, ginger and garlic, allows the flavors and textures of the fresh vegetables to shine.

Vegetable Stir-Fry

1 cup Swanson® Low-Sodium Chicken Broth

1 tablespoon cornstarch

1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

4 cups cut-up vegetables (broccoli florets, cauliflower florets, baby carrots and sliced celery)

2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger root or 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger

1 clove garlic, minced

Toasted sesame seeds (optional)

• Stir the broth, cornstarch and soy sauce in a small bowl until the mixture is smooth.
  • Heat the oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the vegetables, ginger root and garlic and stir-fry until they're tender-crisp.
  • Add the broth mixture to the skillet. Cook and stir until the mixture boils and thickens. Sprinkle with the sesame seeds, if desired.
  • For a Flavor Variation, try Asparagus Stir-Fry, just substitute 1 pound asparagus, cut into 2-inch pieces (about 3 cups) for the vegetables and increase the garlic to 2 cloves. Then proceed as directed above

Have A Bright & Joyful Christmas My Friend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/13/2010 1:59:32 AM
Hi Phil,

I don't have prepared food either. I don't like all that canned, boxed food. I usually have broth that I cooked from chicken or beef frozen for quick meals. Only cooking for one it doesn't take long, which you already know. Like I love cooked cabbage and potatoes.
Mom always had a few slices of bacon with it. So I have bacon fried and all I need to do is heat it. Cooked cabbage and potatoes are so easy and quick all you need to do is add a little butter and some sea salt. Always use sea salt not near as harmful and table salt.
I can't find a photo that looks like my cabbage and potatoes, so here is the cabbage patch

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/13/2010 4:09:23 PM

Hi Myrna,

I do love some good Cabbage, just about any way you fix it, but I must admit that the Bacon does make it a whole lot better. I also agree about the Sea Salt. to me it just tastes better. Even Wendys agrees, they are using it on their "natural" fries now.

Speaking of warming up the lefovers, here's a meal that is just as good the second day. Start of with a classic Salisbury steak in beef and mushroom gravy. This simple, hearty dish will reminds me of Sunday dinners at my Grandma's house. The recipe makes plenty of gravy, so serve it with mashed potatoes or buttered noodles.

Salisbury Steak With Mushroom Gravy

Ingredients

• 1 pound ground beef
  • 1 egg
  • 3 tablespoons crushed buttery round cracker crumbs
  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
  • 2 (4 ounce) cans sliced mushrooms with juice
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 3 cups milk
  • 3 cubes beef bouillon

Directions

1. In a medium bowl, mix together the ground beef, egg, cracker crumbs, onion, salt, pepper and poultry seasoning using your hands. Shape into 6 patties about 1 inch thick.
  2. Fry the patties in a large skillet over medium-high heat for 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until browned. Drain off grease, and remove patties to a platter; keep warm.
  3. Melt the butter in the same skillet, and add the mushrooms. Cook and stir for about 2 minutes. Sprinkle the flour over, and mix in until blended. Stir in the milk and beef bouillon. Cook and stir over medium heat until smooth and starting to thicken. Return the patties to the gravy and cook over low heat, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Next, I added some Creamy Mashed Potatoes. These nicely seasoned potatoes are so fresh-tasting and creamy that there's no really need for extra butter or gravy. I also sometimes freeze them in individual and family servings for added convenience.

Rich Mashed Potatoes

Ingredients

• 5 pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • 5 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
  • 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, cubed
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 2 teaspoons onion salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper

Directions

1. Cook potatoes in boiling salted water until very tender, about 20-25 minutes; drain well. Mash with 3 tablespoons of butter. Add cream cheese, sour cream, onion salt, garlic powder and pepper; mix well. Spoon into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish. Melt remaining butter; drizzle over the top. Cover and freeze for up to 1 month. Or bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. To use frozen potatoes: Thaw in the refrigerator. Bake as directed.

Finally, if you like greens you'll love this recipe. The bacon and onions give them a wonderful flavor. Of course, I add more red pepper for a little more spice.

Kickin' Collard Greens

Ingredients

• 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 3 slices bacon
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon pepper
  • 3 cups chicken broth
  • 1 pinch red pepper flakes
  • 1 pound fresh collard greens, cut into 2-inch pieces

Directions

1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add bacon, and cook until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, crumble and return to the pan. Add onion, and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, and cook until just fragrant. Add collard greens, and fry until they start to wilt.
  2. Pour in chicken broth, and season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes, or until greens are tender.

Have A Very Merry Christmas My Friend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
12/13/2010 4:47:01 PM

Phil & Myrna, a little story, speaking of cabbage...

The other night we were having a few left overs - sloppy joes, etc. I decided to fix up a cabbage stirfry to go with them. I had my taste ready for some pieces of fish that were left. My message did not get to everyone. LOL

Start with big pot and a little oil, roast fresh garlic, add chopped/sliced onion, green peppers, 1 carrot, about half of large cabbage (sliced). You will have had to add a little water by now - add some soy sauce, sesame seed oil, balsic vinegar and hot pepper sauce (to you choosing)*, keep stirring and cover with lid until cabbage gets as tender or crisp whichever way you like it

* I made some liquid relish from Tabasco this year - very hot!!

Really smells up the kitchen and I thoroughly enjoyed the cabbage since that was all that was left after the guys finished!!! Believe me, I looked everywhere for that fish I was so ready for!! :-) I just laughed about it.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

Sara

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!