Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
11/28/2010 12:12:19 AM
Hi Pat,

Thanks for stopping back by to visit with us. Sounds delicious, but a 14lb Turkey is a lot of bird! Unless you and Hubby are real hearty eaters, you're probably gonna have some leftovers. Here's a few more of my Favorite Leftover recipes, suitable for Thanksgiving or Christmas either one. Enjoy my Friend.

This first one was made from Thanksgiving leftovers, and ingredients in my pantry. It's a family favorite and a hit at Pot lucks. With leftovers, it's a breeze, made from scratch ... it's work. Either way it's a hit and well worth the time. After a holiday meal half the work is done because you usually have the mashed potatoes, and turkey. When I make it from scratch, I usually use chicken rather than turkey.

Turkey Potato Casserole

Ingredients

• 1 pound cooked turkey meat, shredded
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can green beans, drained
  • 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
  • 8 ounces cubed Cheddar cheese
  • 8 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese
  • 4 cups prepared mashed potatoes

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. Place turkey in an even layer on the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Top with a layer of onion and a layer of green beans so that the turkey is no longer visible. Pour the condensed soup over the onion layer, then sprinkle with shredded cheese. Stir together the cubed cheese and mashed potatoes; spoon over the top of the casserole, and spread to cover.
  3. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven, until heated through.
Thanksgiving leftovers are not complete without a sandwich or two, so here a twist that you might like. My Sister and I are always dreaming up new sandwiches. Since I'm a sucker for Sourdough Bread, when we put these Thanksgiving leftovers between slices of Fresh Sourdough Bread, I knew we had a family favorite.

Turkey Cranwich

Ingredients

• 2 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
  • 4 slices sourdough bread
  • 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1/3 pound thinly sliced cooked turkey
  • 1/4 cup whole berry cranberry sauce
  • 2 slices Swiss cheese
  • Lettuce Leaves

Directions

1. Spread cream cheese on two slices of bread. Sprinkle with walnuts. Top with turkey; spread cranberry sauce over turkey. Top with Swiss cheese, lettuce and remaining bread.

Finally, this tasty white chili that can be made with either turkey or chicken. Jalapeno peppers give just enough kick! Garnish with green onions, cilantro, more cheese, or chopped tomatoes.

White Turkey Chili

Ingredients

• 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 teaspoons dried oregano
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 2 cups shredded cooked turkey
  • 2 cups white kidney beans (cannellini), undrained
  • 2 fresh jalapeno peppers, chopped
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons lime juice

Directions

1. Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook onion in oil until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, oregano, cumin, and ginger; cook for another minute. Pour in chicken broth and white wine, and then add the bay leaf. Cook uncovered until slightly reduced, about 5 to 8 minutes.
  2. Stir in turkey, beans, and jalapeno. Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  3. Using back of spoon, mash 1/4 of beans to thicken sauce. Reduce heat to low, and begin stirring in cheese 1/2 cup at a time. Stir until cheese is completely melted. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat, and stir in lime juice. Serve hot.

Have A Blessed Holiday Season,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/1/2010 7:35:44 PM

Hello My Friends,

Now that we've had a few days for the Turkey & Dressing to settle, here's a little something lighter. Try this new twist on your usual baked chicken breasts. Combine Dijon mustard, Parmesan cheese, basil, and garlic, along with high-fiber cereal, to create this tasty treat. Serve your chicken breasts with a bowl of steaming broccoli and sliced fresh tomatoes, for a meal the family will love.

Dijon-Parmesan Chicken Breasts
Ingredients
3/4
cup Fiber One® original bran cereal
tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
teaspoon dried basil leaves
1/4
teaspoon garlic salt
1/4
teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
egg white, beaten
tablespoons Dijon mustard
boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/4 lb)
tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
Directions
  1. Heat oven to 400°F. Spray 15x10x1-inch pan with cooking spray. Place cereal in resealable food-storage plastic bag; seal bag and finely crush with rolling pin or meat mallet (or finely crush in food processor).
  2. In shallow bowl, mix cereal, cheese, basil, garlic salt and pepper. In another shallow bowl, mix egg white and mustard until blended.
  3. Dip chicken into egg white mixture, then coat well with cereal mixture; place in pan. Drizzle oil over chicken.
  4. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until juice of chicken is clear when center of thickest part is cut.

Have A Wonderful Week,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/7/2010 4:20:53 PM

Hello My Friends,

Although I'm a big Fan of using Turkey rather than Beef in recipes whenever I can, I've always found Turkey Meatloaf to be quite disappointing. The flavor is usually lacking as well as the texture. Well I have discovered that this Turkey Meatloaf that has a great texture and a surprisingly good flavor! The secret is the quinoa, which adds a wonderful texture and is much nuttier than breadcrumbs. I hope you enjoy this recipe!

Turkey Meatloaf

Ingredients

• 1/4 cup quinoa
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 large clove garlic, chopped
  • 1 (20 ounce) package ground turkey
  • 1 tablespoon tomato paste
  • 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
  • 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 egg
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 teaspoon water

Directions

1. Bring the quinoa and water to a boil in a saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender, and the water has been absorbed, about 15 to 20 minutes. Set aside to cool.
  2. Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  3. Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onion; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute; remove from heat to cool.
  4. Stir the turkey, cooked quinoa, onions, tomato paste, hot sauce, 2 tablespoons Worcestershire, egg, salt, and pepper in a large bowl until well combined. The mixture will be very moist. Shape into a loaf on a foil lined baking sheet. Combine the brown sugar, 2 teaspoons Worcestershire, and 1 teaspoon water in a small bowl. Rub the paste over the top of the meatloaf.
  5. Bake in the preheated oven until no longer pink in the center, about 50 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 160 degrees F (70 degrees C). Let the meatloaf cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving

Have A Terrific Tuesday,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/7/2010 11:48:33 PM

Hi Everyone,

All of you that know me, know how much that I just love to cook. Some of you also know how much that I love to save money. Sometimes here at the Holidays, even I get overwhelmed. So here's a little something that I use to speed things up from time to time....

And right now, until this coming Fridy, December 10th, here's a chance to save a TON! of money...

Infrawave Oven for 60% Off!

OrangeOnions is offering a $20 Off Coupon on the Black & Decker Infrawave Countertop Oven with Rotisserie, bringing the final price to $79.99, which is 60% Off the $199.99 Retail Price! Use coupon code BDOVEN at checkout. Coupon expires on Friday, December 10. Use the promotional link below to find out how you can score this Deal!

Happy Shopping My Friends,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/9/2010 4:44:59 AM

Hello My Friends,

Let's see if we can fix it Good! and yet keep it Healthy! We'll start off with a tasty and clean way to bake Salmon. This is a Serving for two, but it also works well for 4-6.

Paper Salmon

Ingredients

• 2 (5 ounce) salmon fillets or steaks
  • 2 tablespoons frozen green peas
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 2 dashes lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
  2. Place each piece of salmon on a large (12 inch) circle of parchment paper so that they are 1 inch from the center. Cover each with a spoonful of peas, a clove of crushed garlic, a squeeze of lemon juice and a drizzle of olive oil. Fold the paper over into a packet and seal the edges by crimping and folding like a pasty. Place on a baking sheet.
  3. Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven, or until fish is able to flake with a fork. To serve, place the packets onto serving plates and cut open the center in the shape of a cross.

Next, we'll add these new potatoes, served with a zesty sauce. This has been a longstanding favorite at our house. If you are in a hurry, you may also just boil the potatoes and serve with the sauce.

Lemon Horseradish New Potatoes

Ingredients

• 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1 1/2 pounds small new potatoes, unpeeled

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. Melt butter in a 2 quart casserole dish in the oven. Stir in salt, pepper, horseradish and lemon juice. Place potatoes in dish and toss to coat with butter mixture.
  3. Cover and bake in preheated oven for 1 hour, or until potatoes are tender.

Then finally, to finish off with a little something green & healthy, some Asparagus is steamed and then tossed with olive oil, kosher salt and toasted sesame seeds.

Awesomely Easy Sesame Asparagus

Ingredients

• 1 bunch fresh asparagus, trimmed
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons black sesame seeds, lightly toasted
  • kosher salt to taste

Directions

1. Fill a large saucepan with 1/2 inch of water and bring to a boil. Cook asparagus until tender-crisp, about 5 minutes. Drain, then rinse with cold water. Return pan to the stove over medium heat, pour in oil, and swirl around pan. Shake excess water off of the asparagus, and toss in oil with sesame seeds, and salt to reheat.

Have A Merry Christmas My Friends,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!