Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Kathleen Vanbeekom

13305 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
12/9/2010 5:35:16 AM

Hi Phil,

I love fish, my mom made salmon quite often (but I could do without peas!) The lemon horseradish potatoes actually sound great, I'm a big fan of horseradish, never thought of lemon/potatoes, that's a new one for me. I'm writing that one down!

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/9/2010 11:13:33 PM
Hi Kathleen,

It's so good to see you here at the Forum. Hope that you'll come back often, and please feel free to share a recipe or two if you would like.

I'm with you on the Green Peas, but the recipe called for them to be added. Actually, don't feel too bad about not caring for the Peas. One of the things that many people do not realize is that Peas are pretty high in sugar, in comparison to other vegetables. For example, in one cup of peas, there are about 8.2 grams of sugar. This is in comparison to the 0.13 grams of sugar in one cup of spinach and the 1.5 grams of sugar in one cup of broccoli. Whenever one consumes foods that are high in sugar, even when they are fruits and vegetables, they are much more likely to gain weight and they may ultimately be increasing your chance of developing diabetes. Unless you really enjoy peas, it makes a lot more sense to eat vegetables that are much lower in sugar. Therefore, I would say that although peas can be enjoyed in moderation, I wouldn't recommend that anyone eat large amounts of peas on a frequent basis.

Salmon on the other hand, is an excellent source of high quality protein, contains all essential amino acids, is rich in minerals, contains vitamins A, D, B6 and B12, and it is a good source of Vitamin E, a powerful antioxidant, which lowers the risk of heart disease. Salmon is easy to digest, therefore it is an excellent food for everyone, both young and old and most importantly, Salmon contains Omega-3 oil, which decreases the risk of coronary heart disease and certain cancers.

So to make a long story short, enjoy the Salmon, and your body really won't miss the Peas. Here's another way that I love to eat Salmon. This is an extremely simple, but very enjoyable main course. I generally stick it in the oven, then make potato wedges or my squash (sauteed yellow squash and zucchini) while it's baking. I began using sage on salmon during my college years, when I grew entirely too much of the herb, and put it in pretty much everything. It became my favorite herb, and it lends a delicate and unexpected taste and scent to this dish. I tend to cook the salmon in the oven during the winter, but in the warmer months, grilling works nicely as well, especially on charcoal grills.

Herbed Salmon

Ingredients

• 2 pounds salmon
  • 5 dried sage leaves
  • 1 tablespoon dried thyme
  • 1 pinch ground paprika
  • 1 pinch ground cayenne pepper

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray one side of a sheet of aluminum foil large enough to fold over all the salmon with cooking spray.
  2. Arrange salmon on the prepared side of the foil. Sprinkle with sage, thyme, paprika, and pepper. Fold foil over salmon to enclose.
  3. Bake salmon 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until easily flaked with a fork.

You've mentioned that you're partial to Margaritas, and I've always thought of the Sidecar as a Brandy Margarita, except that it is made with fresh lemon juice. Although I personally no longer can partake of this wonderful concoction, the drinkers in the family seem to enjoy it whenever I mix a batch up to go along with the Salmon.

Sidecar

Ingredients

• ice cubes
  • 1/2 fluid ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 1/2 fluid ounce Cointreau or triple sec
  • 1 fluid ounce brandy
  • 1 lemon wedge

Directions

1. Fill a cocktail shaker 3/4 full with ice cubes. Pour in lemon juice, Cointreau, and brandy. Cover and shake vigorously for about 30 seconds until the outside of the shaker becomes cold and frosty. Strain into a martini glass and garnish with a wedge of lemon.

Have A Happy Holiday My Friend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/11/2010 7:20:26 PM

Hello My Friends.

Continuing with a Holiday theme, here's a wonderful Dinner suggestion, whether it be for a Holday meal, or just a Sunday Family Dinner.

We'll start with a Smoky Ham, basted with a sweet and piquant sauce of apricot preserves, Swanson®Chicken Stock, orange zest, Dijon-style mustard and minced shallots.

Double-Apricot Glazed Ham

Ingredients

• 1 cup dried apricots
  • 1 cup Swanson® Chicken Stock
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 (6 pound) fully-cooked whole boneless ham*
  • 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped shallot
  • 2 (12 ounce) jars apricot preserves
  • 1/4 cup Dijon-style mustard
  • 2 teaspoons grated orange peel

Directions

1. Place apricots and stock in microwave-safe measuring cup. Microwave on HIGH for 2 minutes. Let cool. Remove apricots and cut into strips. Reserve stock. Mix apricots, sugar and 1/4 cup reserved stock.
  2. Place ham in roasting pan. Bake at 325 degrees F for 2 hours or until thermometer registers 140 degrees F. Top with apricot mixture during last 30 minutes of baking, basting frequently with pan drippings.
  3. Heat butter in medium skillet over medium heat. Add shallots and cook until tender. Add preserves, mustard, orange rind and remaining reserved stock. Heat to a boil. Cook over low heat 10 minutes or until slightly thickened.
  4. Slice ham and serve with apricot sauce.

Next, for a unique way to prepare broccoli, the Florets are roasted, after being tossed in olive oil and sprinkled with sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, and minced garlic. Just a squeeze of lemon juice before serving seals the deal.

Roasted Garlic Lemon Broccoli

Ingredients

• 2 heads broccoli, separated into florets
  • 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
  2. In a large bowl, toss broccoli florets with the extra virgin olive oil, sea salt, pepper and garlic. Spread the broccoli out in an even layer on a baking sheet.
  3. Bake in the preheated oven until florets are tender enough to pierce the stems with a fork, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove and transfer to a serving platter. Squeeze lemon juice liberally over the broccoli before serving for a refreshing, tangy finish.

Once you added some Garlic Mashed Potatoes to finish out the meal, you'll need some Bread to top it off. Here's a fantastic eating bread with a great rosemary flavor. This one will become a favorite.

Rosemary Herb Bread

Ingredients

• 2/3 cup milk
  • 2 eggs
  • 3 cups bread flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
  • 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
  • 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons margarine
  • 2 teaspoons active dry yeast

Directions

1. Place ingredients in the bread machine in the order suggested by the manufacture. Select Basic or White Bread setting. Start.

Have A Happy Family Holiday Season,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
12/11/2010 8:59:19 PM

Phil, that sounds real close to what I am fixing for Christmas, just not as fancy. We plan on having ham and that bread recipe is one I will copy. Stanley likes rosemary but that is one ingredient I will have purchase.

I love the Roasted Lemon Garlic sauce - I use that when I fix artichokes which are so expensive we have not bought in some time.

Thank you for your wonderful forum.

Blessings,

Sara

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/12/2010 11:53:46 PM

Hi Sara,

It's good to see you here my Friend. I'm afraid that my Christmas Dinner won't be quite this fancy this year either. As you know, I was invited out for Thanksgiving, so guess who gets to cook the whole meal at Christmas. It's not going to be too bad though, because my Sister and my Sister-in-Law will be contributing several dishes as well, so all I have to worry about are the Meats, and of course the Desserts.

I'll have both a Turkey and a Ham, however, I'm afraid my Ham is going to be a Honey-Baked this year. That's alright however, because they are good every year. Here's what's for Dinner tomorrow evening...

Beef Tenderloin With Roasted Shallots

This tenderloin Roast makes a good company dinner. It is similar to Beef Bourguignon, but requires considerably less cooking time. The roasted Shallots are added to the sauce along with sauteed bacon bits. The shallot sauce can take some time, but is well worth the trouble. There will just be six for Dinner tomorrow, but this is definitely a company dish, and the recipe doubles well for a larger party. I serve it along with a green salad and some roasted vegetables.

Ingredients

• 3/4 pound shallots, halved lengthwise and peeled
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 3 cups beef broth
  • 3/4 cup port wine
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons tomato paste
  • 2 pounds beef tenderloin roast, trimmed
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 3 slices bacon, diced
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • 4 sprigs watercress, for garnish

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). In 9 inch pie pan, toss shallots with oil to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Roast until shallots are deep brown and very tender, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
  2. In a large saucepan, combine beef broth and port. Bring to a boil. Cook over high heat until the volume is reduced by half, about 30 minutes. Whisk in tomato paste. Set aside.
  3. Pat beef dry; sprinkle with thyme, salt and pepper. In a large roasting pan, set over medium heat on the stove top, saute bacon until golden. Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels. Add beef to pan; brown on all sides over medium high heat, about 7 minutes.
  4. Transfer pan to oven. Roast beef until meat thermometer inserted into center registers 125 degrees F (50 degrees C) for medium rare, about 25 minutes. Transfer beef to platter. Tent loosely with foil.
  5. Spoon fat off top of pan drippings in roasting pan. Place pan over high heat on stove top. Add broth mixture, and bring to boil; stir to scrape up any browned bits. Transfer to a medium saucepan, and bring to simmer. Mix 1 1/2 tablespoon butter and flour in small bowl to form smooth paste; whisk into broth mixture, and simmer until sauce thickens. Whisk in remaining butter. Stir in roasted shallots and reserved bacon. Season with salt and pepper.
  6. Cut beef into 1/2 inch thick slices. Spoon some sauce over, and garnish with watercress.

Wishing You & Yours A Blessed Christmas,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!