Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
9/20/2010 10:07:42 PM

Great,

I can smell the bread from here.

Thanks Phil and Sara.

Roger

+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/21/2010 2:34:34 AM
Hi Phil,

I am like Sara and making bread, hate that kneading. Let the machine do it.

Sara your bread sure is inviting. Thanks, but I guess I will hae to wait a little while longer.

Myrna

This is called bread shoes. lol
LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/21/2010 3:05:42 AM

Hi Sara, Roger & Myrna,

Thanks for the Bread, Sara, and for the adorable shoes, Myrna. So glad that you all stopped by and Roger, I'm glad you've finally got plenty of Bread.

Personally, I find Kneading Bread to be quite relaxing and therapeutic, but then they always did say that I was a little "off, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, if you'll click on my little Baking Buddy below, you'll hear one of my favorite "Bread Making" songs...

Have A Great Evening,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
9/21/2010 2:07:56 PM

Phil, I guess we have all had our fill of bread but Myrna's seems to take the cake!

Do you wear them or stuff them!!!

Thanks for the music also.

Sara

+0
Peter Fogel

7259 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/21/2010 4:06:36 PM
Hi Phil,
Thanks again for a delightful post. The Apple Crumble sorta reminds of the crumble my mother used to make. She was a wonderful baker and "chef" and your recipe brings back fond memories. :) My mother in law was also a seasoned cook and had a Hungarian kitchen and her crumble was also delicious.
During Succoth the Sukkah is decorated inside with fruits of the season, pictures, flowers and other greenery. It's really a beautiful sight. There's is normally a national contest for the best decorated Sukkah.
Weather wise we still have very hot weather even though it's cooling down some. Any one that wants to sleep in the Sukkah can do so easily even in the mountains and in the Jerusalem area.
Thanks again and Shalom,
Peter

Quote:

Hello Peter,

I do apologize for not getting the recipe to you sooner, however, I am glad that you liked the Souffle Recipe. Perhaps you can use it at a later time.

As I have said, this particular period in your Calendar year has always fascinated me, partly because it such a period of transition, from two of the most solemn holidays in the year, Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur, to one of the most joyous, The Festival of Succoth, also sometimes referred to as Zeman Simkhateinu, or the Season of our Rejoicing. As I understand the Custom, it is common for families to eat, sleep and otherwise spend time in the Sukkah, a symbolic wilderness shelter, in order to commemorate the time during which God provided for the Israelites in the wilderness they inhabited, after they were freed from slavery in Egypt. I'm not really sure what the weather is like in Israel this time of year, so I wonder if you actually are able to sleep in the Sukkah, or if you only take your meals there. Whichever the case, here's a little something which I would hope you might be able to enjoy.

The vanilla sugar and orange juice, give this Apple Crumble an extra special taste. This is one of my all time favorite recipes, and I have been led to believe by my Jewish friends here in High Point, this dessert is especially delicious when served in the Sukkah during the holiday of Succoth.

Apple Crumble

Ingredients:

• 8 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, cut into 8 slices
  • 1/4 cup of orange juice
  • 1 small packet of vanilla sugar
  • 1–2 tablespoons of cinnamon (depending on how much you like cinnamon!)
  • 1 cup (9 ounces) all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup oats
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup (8 oz) butter or parve margarine, melted

Preparation:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Spray a shallow baking pan with cooking spray.
3. Place the apples in one layer at the bottom of the baking pan, making sure to cover the whole pan.
4. Sprinkle the vanilla sugar, orange juice and cinnamon over the apples in that order.
5. Mix together all the crumble ingredients with a wooden spoon. A bit more flour and oats can be added if you prefer a more crumbly topping.
6. Cover the apples with the crumble and press down lightly with your hand.
7. Cook the crumble in the oven for about 45 minutes. Check that the dish is ready by inserting a tooth pick in the middle. If the apples are still hard then continue cooking 5 minutes at a time until the apples are soft.

SERVING SUGGESTION: This Apple Crumble is great by itself, but I like to garnish it with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream for an extra special touch. Just remember that the dessert will be dairy, rather than parve, if it is made with butter and/or served with dairy ice cream or whipped cream.

Shalom!
Wishing you a joyous Succoth,
Phil
Peter Fogel
Babylon 7
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!