Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Peter Fogel

7259 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
9/23/2010 3:56:44 PM
Hi Phil,
I noticed that you are interested in the Jewish Holidays and join Jewish friends during some of them so I thought you might find this interesting. A short explanation about Sukkot. It's a bit off topic for this thread so I apologize in advance.
Shalom,
Peter

Thousands of Jews have streamed into Israel to celebrate Tishrei – the first month in the Hebrew calendar and which is filled to the brim with Jewish holidays, including the two holiest of the year, Rosh HaShanah and Yom Kippur. Another 7,000 tourists flooded into Jerusalem this week for the festivities – including Christian pilgrims, who have come to join in with their version of Sukkot, also known as the Feast of Tabernacles.

The holiday of Sukkot, which begins at sundown, is one of the three major festivals (shlosha regalim) of the Jewish calendar in which the Jewish People were enjoined to “go up to Jerusalem”.

In Israel, the holiday lasts for seven days, two of which are “holy days” – one each at the beginning and end of the holiday. The five days in between are known as “Chol HaMoed,” during which most ordinary activities are permitted. It is during these days that a massive outpouring of families and friends is seen throughout the country as domestic holiday tourism floods a myriad of sites throughout Israel.

In countries outside Israel, Sukkot lasts eight days, beginning with a two-day Sabbath-like holiday, followed by five days of Chol HaMoed. This year, the holiday begins with a three-day holiday as a result: two days of “yom tov” followed by the Sabbath.

Lulav and Etrog: Unity of the Jewish People

One of the most important customs of Sukkot is the recitation of the blessings over the Four Species: an etrog (citron), a lulav (palm frond), three sprigs of hadassim (myrtle) and two branches of aravot (red willow).

According to the Midrash, the Four Species represent the four types of Jews that comprise the People of Israel, whose unity is emphasized on the holiday of Sukkot:

1.The etrog, which has a good fragrance and taste, represents a person with both wisdom (Torah learning) and good deeds
2.The hadas has a good fragrance, but cannot be eaten, representing a person with good deeds, but who lacks wisdom
3.The lulav is edible, but has no scent, representing a person with wisdom but without good deeds, and
4.The aravah has neither taste nor smell, thus representing the person who lacks both good deeds and wisdom or Torah learning.

The lulav is only considered kosher if all four species are taken together – if one is missing, the entire lulav is invalid. So too it was with the incense mixture used in the Holy Temple in ancient times, of which there were 11 ingredients. One of those, the chelbanah was a spice with a terrible smell, and yet the entire mixture was considered invalid if that or any other spice, was omitted.

From this, we learn that all Jews must work together and remain united, as one People, regardless of our differences.

'Clouds of Glory' and Water-Drawing Nights

Also on this holiday Jews eat all their meals in temporary booths constructed of various materials, including wood paneling and cloth, with the roofs covered in branches of live material, open enough to be able to view the stars above.

Men sleep in these structures as well, to commemorate the “clouds of glory” that surrounded and protected our ancestors from the harsh desert conditions as we traveled to the Land of Israel after fleeing from Egypt.

Nightly “Water-Drawing Celebrations,” called Simchat Beit HaShoeva (Celebration of the House of Water-Drawing) -- are held to commemorate the ceremonies and celebrations that took place at the Holy Temple in Jerusalem in preparation for drawing water for use during the festival service. These celebrations, held in Jewish communities around the world, often feature special celebrations that include all-night music and singing by live bands and special foods.

Unbridled Joy, Renewal of the Torah Cycle

Sukkot in the Diaspora ends with another two-day holiday that includes Shemini Atzeret (the final day of Sukkot) and Simchat Torah – the “Rejoicing of the Torah,” and last Jewish holiday in the Hebrew month of Tishrei.

In Israel, the holiday of Shemini Atzeret / Simchat Torah begins Wednesday at sunset, September 29, and lasts for one day.

The holiday is characterized by unbridled joy and celebrates the conclusion and renewal of the reading of the Torah each week. Also featured are the prayers for rain, officially commemorating the start of the region's season of winter rains, and the “Yizkor” prayer for departed souls.

Read more here

Peter Fogel
Babylon 7
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/26/2010 4:26:40 PM

Hello Peter,

I have no problem with you sharing this wonderful information about the Jewish Holidays and Traditions with us here at the Forum. To me, it's really quite sad that those of us in both the Christian and Jewish Communities, don't share more information of this nature and try to learn more about one another. After all, we do worship the same God & Creator, and it would be such a better world if we could just all learn to get along with one another.

Here's one last recipe which I thought that eveyone might like. These small potato stuffed turnovers are so delicious that they always have mouths watering before they're even out of the oven! My Friend, Mrs. Fine told me that her Great Grandmother originally brought this recipe all the way from the Old Country, and that it has been passed down through 4 generations. The recipe is of course Jewish, and Mrs. Fine generally makes them for Hanukkah. I must admit that while I've made them for Christmas, I have also been known to whip up a Batch just about anytime of year. They're quite time consuming, but so well worth it!

Knishes

Ingredients

• 5 pounds baking potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 large onions, chopped
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 5 cups all-purpose flour, or as needed

Directions

1. Place potatoes into a pot with enough water to cover them. Bring to a boil, and cook for 5 to 10 minutes, or until tender. Drain and set aside if onions are not yet ready.
  2. While the potatoes are boiling, heat 1/2 cup of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions, and cook until soft and translucent. Mix the onions and their oil into the potatoes, and mash until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, and set aside while you make the dough.
  3. In a large bowl, mix together eggs, 1/2 cup of oil, warm water and 1 teaspoon of salt. Gradually mix in flour until the dough is stiff enough to remove from the bowl and knead. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead for about 5 minutes. Let rest for a few minutes to relax the dough.
  4. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a cookie sheet.
  5. Cut off a piece of dough about the size of an egg. Roll the dough out into a long narrow strip about 3 inches wide. Spread the potato mixture over the dough leaving a 1 inch strip along one of the long sides. Roll the dough around the filling towards the exposed strip, and gently press to seal. If you've done this step correctly, the dough will be shaped like a snake filled with potato filling. Repeat the process with remaining dough and filling.
  6. Place the potato filled rolls onto the prepared cookie sheet, and cut into 1 inch pieces using a pizza cutter.
  7. Bake for 30 to 45 minutes in the preheated oven, until nicely browned.

Have A Great Week My Friend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/28/2010 2:54:26 AM

Hello My Friends,

Hope you're enjoying a few of those crisp Fall evenings.

You all know how much I love my Vegetables. Well, here's a vegetable-full curry! Serve this curry over your favorite rice and you're sure to have a tasty meal. If you have carrot-ginger juice available to you, try using it in place of the orange juice - either one is delicious!"

Marrakesh Vegetable Curry

Ingredients

• 1 sweet potato, peeled and cubed
  • 1 medium eggplant, cubed
  • 1 green bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 red bell pepper, chopped
  • 2 carrots, chopped
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 6 tablespoons olive oil
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
  • 1 tablespoon curry powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 3/4 tablespoon sea salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
  • 1/4 cup blanched almonds
  • 1 zucchini, sliced
  • 2 tablespoons raisins
  • 1 cup orange juice
  • 10 ounces spinach

Directions

1. In a large Dutch oven place sweet potato, eggplant, peppers, carrots, onion, and three tablespoons oil. Saute over medium heat for 5 minutes.
  2. In a medium saucepan place 3 tablespoons olive oil, garlic, turmeric, curry powder, cinnamon, salt and pepper and saute over medium heat for 3 minutes.
  3. Pour garlic and spice mixture into the Dutch oven with vegetables in it. Add the garbanzo beans, almonds, zucchini, raisins, and orange juice. Simmer 20 minutes, covered.
  4. Add spinach to pot and cook for 5 more minutes. Serve!

Have A Terrific Week My Friends,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/29/2010 5:36:44 PM

Hello Everyone,

Here's one for our Friend Donna, as well as all of you other Shrimp lovers out there. This crunchy coconut shrimp is baked instead of fried, and so easy! Great for dinner or as an appetizer. I serve with orange marmalade for dipping.

Baked Coconut Shrimp

Ingredients

• 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 1/3 cup cornstarch
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 2 cups flaked sweetened coconut
  • 3 egg whites, beaten until foamy

Directions

1. Preheat an oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Lightly coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
  2. Rinse and dry shrimp with paper towels. Mix cornstarch, salt, and cayenne pepper in a shallow bow; pour coconut flakes in a separate shallow bowl. Working with one shrimp at a time, dredge it in the cornstarch mixture, then dip it in the egg white, and roll it in the coconut, making sure to coat the shrimp well. Place on the prepared baking sheet, and repeat with the remaining shrimp.
  3. Bake the shrimp until they are bright pink on the outside and the meat is no longer transparent in the center and the coconut is browned, 15 to 20 minutes, flipping the shrimp halfway through.

Have A Wonderful Week,

Phil

+0
9/30/2010 4:27:12 PM

Thank you Phil for all the fantastic recipes! I wish I had one of those potato things right now!

I love shrimp anyway it is fixed and that sounds great but these guys don't like coconut. Why is that men don't like coconut??

Sara

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!