Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
8/30/2010 1:11:30 AM

Hi Myrna,

Glad you liked the Blueberry Buckle. I do love my Blueberries, but then I also love Raspberries, and Blackberries, and Strawberries, etc., etc., if you know what I mean. I think that they call it Blueberry "Buckle", so that we have something to let out, when we start expanding just a little around the middle.

This evening, I thought that I would share one more Delicious Blueberry Concoction, if you all don't mind.

This is a very unique breakfast dish. It's good for any Breakfast or Brunch, it's filled with the fresh taste of Bluberries, and then it's covered with a rich Blueberry Sauce to make it one of a kind.

Overnight Blueberry French Toast

Ingredients

• 12 slices day-old bread, cut into 1 inch cubes
  • 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, cut into 1 inch cubes
  • 1 cup fresh blueberries
  • 12 eggs, beaten (Or 3 cups of Egg Beaters)
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/3 cup maple syrup
  • 1 cup white sugar (Equiv. of Splenda)

Sauce:

• 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 cup fresh blueberries
  • 1 tablespoon butter

Directions

1. Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish. Arrange half the bread cubes in the dish, and top with cream cheese cubes. Sprinkle 1 cup blueberries over the cream cheese, and top with remaining bread cubes.
  2. In a large bowl, mix the eggs, milk, vanilla extract, and syrup. Pour over the bread cubes. Cover, and refrigerate overnight.
  3. Remove the bread cube mixture from the refrigerator about 30 minutes before baking. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  4. Cover, and bake 30 minutes. Uncover, and continue baking 25 to 30 minutes, until center is firm and surface is lightly browned.
  5. In a medium saucepan, mix the sugar, cornstarch, and water. Bring to a boil. Stirring constantly, cook 3 to 4 minutes. Mix in the remaining 1 cup blueberries. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes, until the blueberries burst. Stir in the butter, and pour over the baked French toast

Have A Terrific Week My Friends,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/31/2010 1:16:03 AM

Hello Friends,

As I was telling Sara over at my Crockpot Thread, I do much prefer doing everything the Old Fashioned way, but sometimes there is just not time in the day. Whenever I do have sufficient time though, this is more the way I prefer to cook.

Here's a little something special, for those "Special Occsions". Bay scallops, chopped tomatoes, and fresh basil are added to garlic and zucchini, then poured over fettuccini for an elegant seafood dish. When I really want to impress, I make some fresh handmade fettuccine out of semolina, the perfect complement to the scallops, zucchini and tomato sauce.

Pasta with Scallops, Zucchini, and Tomatoes

Ingredients

• 1 pound dry fettuccine pasta
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 zucchinis, diced
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1 cup chopped fresh basil
  • 4 roma (plum) tomatoes, chopped
  • 1 pound bay scallops
  • 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

Directions

1. In a large pot with boiling salted water cook pasta until al dente. Drain.
  2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet heat oil, add garlic and cook until tender. Add the zucchini, salt, red pepper flakes, dried basil (if using) and saute for 10 minutes. Add chopped tomatoes, bay scallops, and fresh basil (if using) and simmer for 5 minutes, or until scallops are opaque.
  3. Pour sauce over cooked pasta and serve with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.

Have A Wonderful Week My Friends,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
8/31/2010 3:06:18 PM

Sounds great, Phil!! I am sure those who get to eat it are in awe of the taste.

Thanks for sharing,

Sara

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/1/2010 10:27:45 PM
Hello Everyone,

Today we're sticking to the basics. Nothing fancy, just plain old good eating. This is the meatloaf I originally made back when I first tried to duplicate my Daddy's meatloaf! It's a perennial family favorite! It's also wonderful sliced cold the next day and used in a warm, toasted sandwich with a little butter. Just good ole, stick to your ribs kind of food.

My Meatloaf

Ingredients

• 1 pound ground sirloin
  • 1/4 cup ketchup
  • 1/2 packet dry onion soup mix
  • 3 slices leftover bread (heels are great), torn into bite-size pieces
  • 1 teaspoon Italian-style seasoning
  • 1 tablespoon water
  • water as needed

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
  2. In a large bowl, combine the beef, ketchup, soup mix, bread, Italian-style seasoning and water. Mix well. Shape into a loaf and place into a 9 inch pie pan OR a 9x13 inch baking dish. Baste the top of the meatloaf with ketchup.
  3. Bake at 425 degrees F (220 degrees C) for one hour, or until the edges are just crispy and the top has a crust.
  4. Cool for 15 to 20 minutes before cutting.

Have A Terrific Week,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/3/2010 9:44:02 PM

Hello Everyone,

Has anyone else still got Zucchini left over like I do, from this past Season's Garden. These little Latkes are just the perfect way to use up some of what I have left.

Tzatziki, a flavorful Greek yogurt sauce laced with cucumber, is a tangy accompaniment for these high-fiber latkes. Make it a meal: Enjoy with sliced fresh tomatoes and a few kalamata olives, or put patties and tzatziki in pita pockets for lunch on the go.

Zucchini-Potato Latkes with Tzatziki

Ingredients

• 1 pound(s) zucchini, shredded
  • 2 cup(s) shredded cooked potato
  • 2 medium shallots, minced, divided
  • 1 egg beaten
  • 2 cup(s) fresh whole-wheat breadcrumbs
  • 1/2 cup(s) crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
  • 2 tablespoon(s) chopped fresh dill, divided
  • 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt divided
  • 1/2 teaspoon(s) freshly ground pepper
  • 2 tablespoon(s) extra-virgin olive oil, divided
  • 1 cup(s) low-fat plain yogurt
  • 1/2 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and shredded
  • 1 tablespoon(s) red-wine vinegar

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
  2. Toss zucchini, potato, 3 tablespoons shallot and egg in a large bowl. Add breadcrumbs, feta, 1 tablespoon dill, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; toss to combine. Form the mixture into 12 patties.
  3. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 6 patties, cover and cook until crispy and browned on one side, 2 to 5 minutes. Carefully transfer the latkes to the prepared pan, browned-side down. Repeat with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and patties.
  4. Transfer the latkes to the oven and bake until firm and heated through, 10 to 12 minutes.
  5. Meanwhile, prepare tzatziki: Combine yogurt, cucumber, vinegar, the remaining minced shallot, 1 tablespoon dill and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a small bowl. Serve the latkes with the tzatziki on the side.

Have A Terrific Weekend,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!