Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
3/23/2012 6:55:05 PM

Hello Again My Friends,

Another Friday is upon us, so here's something that I hope you might all like. When you're looking for a main course on the lighter side, try this flavorful dish. The crunchy topping nicely complements the tender fish.

Crispy Orange Roughy

Ingredients

• 1/3 cup lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil or vegetable oil
  • 2 teaspoons dried oregano
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 2 cups instant mashed potato flakes
  • 4 (6 ounce) fillets orange roughy, cod or haddock

Directions

1. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray; set aside. In a shallow bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, oil, oregano, salt and pepper. Place the potato flakes in another bowl.
  2. Dip fillets in lemon juice mixture, then coat with potato flakes. Place on prepared pan. Bake at 500 degrees F for 10 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork and is golden brown. Serves 4.

For a different kind of side, this is good when toped with crushed red pepper or parmesan cheese.

Oven Baked Lentil and Brown Rice Casserole

• 3 cups vegetable broth or water (or combination of both)
  • 3/4 cup uncooked lentils, rinsed and sorted
  • 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
  • 3/4 cup diced onion
  • 1/2 cup chopped carrots
  • 1/2 cup chopped celery
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 tsp italian seasoning
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • Optional: bay leaf + salt if using water instead of broth, rosemary, basil, any herbs to your liking
  1. Preheat oven to 325F
  2. Mix all ingredients in a 2 qt baking dish.
  3. Cover with lid or foil and bake for about an hour, or until most of the liquid is absorbed. Serves 4-6.

Have A Wonderful Weekend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/23/2012 9:30:32 PM
Hi Phil,

This is not a good time to be looking at recipes. I am hungry and getting ready to get some dinner. My mouth is about to water, thinking how good this roughy and rice and lentels sound.

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/27/2012 9:54:00 PM

Hi Myrna,

Sorry that I've haven't gotten back to you before now but I got tied up with a couple of things, like the POTW for one. Hope that you got to enjoy the Orange Roughy. It's always been one of my favorite types of fish.

Tonight I thought that we might try some seasoned chicken, stewed with tomatoes and then served over mixed vegetables. Goes quite well with rice or if you'd like to skip a few calories, try it the way I eat it with some of those Spinach Miracle Noodles.

Tender Tomato Chicken Breasts

Ingredients

• 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
  • 2 tablespoons ground black pepper, or to taste
  • 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons onion powder, or to taste
  • 2 (28 ounce) cans chopped stewed tomatoes, 1/2 the liquid reserved
  • 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
  • 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen mixed vegetables
  • 1/2 cup water

Directions

1. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Season chicken breasts on both sides with pepper and onion powder, and arrange in the skillet. Cook 2 minutes on each side, just until browned. Pour tomatoes and reserved liquid over the chicken. Pour in broth. Cover skillet, and continue cooking 15 minutes on each side, until chicken juices run clear.
  2. While the chicken is cooking, place the frozen mixed vegetables and water in a pot. Scoop about 3/4 cup liquid from the skillet, and mix into the pot. Bring to a boil, and cook 5 minutes, or until vegetables are tender; drain. Arrange chicken breasts over the vegetables, and drizzle with liquid from the skillet to serve. Serves 6.

Have A Wonderful Week,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/28/2012 6:38:21 PM

Hello Everyone,

The garlicky, ginger marinade packs this simple flank steak with flavor, and it’s just as delicious on skirt steaks, fresh skin-on salmon fillets, and skinless tuna steaks, so feel free to use what you have on hand. Serve with some Crisp Asian Broccoli and Basic White Rice.

Ginger Flank Steak

5 large cloves garlic, peeled
1-inch chunk fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
1/3 cup thinly sliced scallions (white and tender light green parts)
6 Tbs. peanut oil
3-/2 Tbs. soy sauce
1-/4 tsp. toasted sesame oil
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 to 2-1/2 lb. flank steak, trimmed of excess fat
Kosher salt
1-1/2 Tbs. rice vinegar

Heat the broiler to high with the rack as close to the heat source as possible, or heat a gas grill, covered, to high.

Put the garlic and ginger in a food processor and pulse until roughly chopped. Scrape the sides with a spatula, add the scallions, 3 Tbs. of the peanut oil, 2 Tbs. of the soy sauce, 1 tsp. of the sesame oil, and process until the mixture has a paste-like texture and the garlic and ginger are minced. Season well with pepper. Use the thin tip of a sharp knife to score both sides of the meat in a diagonal crosshatch pattern, going across the grain, making each slit about 1/4-inch deep. Put the meat in a 9x13-inch nonreactive dish and season well with salt. Pour the marinade over the meat and rub it into the scored crevices.

Lay the meat either on a cold broiler pan or on the hot grill; broil or grill, turning once, until done to your liking, 8 to 10 minutes. Using tongs, transfer the meat to a warmed serving tray and let it rest for 5 minutes. In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining 3 Tbs. peanut oil, 1-1/2 Tbs. soy sauce, 3/4 tsp. sesame oil, and the rice vinegar. Slice the meat thinly on the diagonal and serve drizzled with the sauce. Serves 6.

The fermented black beans are optional, but they add a wonderful salty kick.

Crisp Asian Broccoli

1 Tbs. soy sauce
1 tsp. rice vinegar
1 tsp. toasted sesame oil
3 Tbs. peanut or canola oil
1 Tbs. fermented black beans, rinsed, dried, and coarsely chopped (optional)
Pinch dried red chile flakes
3/4 lb. broccoli crowns, cut into medium florets
1/4 red bell pepper, finely-diced
2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and quartered
Kosher salt
1/4 cup water; more if needed

Combine the soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, and 1 Tbs. of the peanut oil in a small bowl; set aside. Turn on the exhaust fan and heat a heavy 12-inch skillet or large wok over high heat for 2 minutes. When the pan is hot, pour in the remaining 2 Tbs. peanut oil; a couple of seconds later, add the black beans (if using), the chile flakes, broccoli, red pepper, garlic, and ginger. Season the mixture well with salt and cook, tossing or stirring often, until the broccoli deepens to a dark green and browns in places, 3 to 4 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium low, carefully add the water (it will steam), and cover the pan with the lid ajar. Cook until the broccoli softens but still has some crunch, about 4 minutes. (If the water evaporates before the broccoli is done, add more, 1 Tbs. at a time.) Stir the soy sauce mixture well and drizzle it over the broccoli, toss well, and serve immediately. Serves 4 as a Side Dish.

Have A Wonderful Wednesday,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/29/2012 10:00:25 PM
Hello My Friends,

This easy to make meatloaf gets great flavor from French fried onions and condensed tomato soup...it takes just 10 minutes to make before you pop it in the oven...and it tastes so good.

Onion-Crusted Meat Loaf with Roasted Potatoes

Ingredients

• 1 (10.75 ounce) can Campbell's® Condensed Tomato Soup
  • 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
  • 1 (2.8 ounce) can French's® French Fried Onions
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 6 small potatoes, cut into quarters

Directions

1. Thoroughly mix 1/2 cup soup, beef, 1/2 can onions, egg and Worcestershire in a large bowl. Place the mixture in a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan and firmly shape into an 8 x 4-inch loaf. Spoon the remaining soup over the meat loaf. Arrange the potatoes around the meat loaf.
  2. Bake at 400 degrees F for 1 hour or until the meat loaf is cooked through. Stir the potatoes. Sprinkle the remaining onions over the meat loaf and bake for 3 minutes or until the onions are golden. Serves 6.

Have A Terrific Thursday,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!