Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
RE: Papas Kitchen
3/29/2012 11:10:40 PM
Oh my goodness....All this looks so good! I am going to be busy cooking ;-)
Unique vintage items,jewelry,accessories,collectibles,and more! http://myworld.ebay.com/starlightfaith
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/30/2012 2:22:05 PM

Hi Christina,

It's so good to see you here at the Forum. Hope it gives you lots of good ideas for recipes. Just love sharing good food with good Friends.

When my grandparents lived in the Florida Keys years ago, my Grandfather went fishing every day. They ate fish often, so Grandmother had to find creative ways to serve it. The Parmesan cheese in this fast and easy recipe always adds just the right flavor. I just add some Steamed Asparagus and a healthy helping of zero-calorie Miracle Rice.

Flavorful Flounder

Ingredients

• 3 pounds flounder or sole fillets
  • 3 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
  • 1/4 cup and 1 teaspoon mayonnaise
  • 1/4 cup and 1 teaspoon chopped green onions
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions

1. Coat a piece of heavy-duty foil (about 14 in. x 14 in.) with nonstick cooking spray. Place fillets on foil; brush with lemon juice. Crimp foil, forming edges. Place foil flat on the grill (do not seal). Grill, covered, over medium-hot heat for 4 minutes. Combine Parmesan cheese, butter, mayonnaise, onions and salt; brush over fillets. Grill 3-4 minutes longer or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Serves 6.

This is the best way to cook asparagus to enjoy it's flavor. It comes out absolutely perfect. For the wine, I always recommend Pinot Grigio.

Steamed Asparagus

Ingredients

• 1-1/2 pounds fresh asparagus spears, trimmed
  • 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons white wine
  • 3 tablespoons butter

Directions

1. Place asparagus in a microwave-safe dish. Pour in wine, and dot with pieces of butter.
  2. Cover loosely, and cook in the microwave on High for 3 minutes, or until bright green and tender. Allow the dish to stand 5 minutes before serving. Serves 6.

Have A Fantastic Friday,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/31/2012 10:14:46 PM
Hello Everyone,

Well, the pretty weather finally got to me. Time to fire up the Grill. This recipe can be used for inexpensive chicken pieces or to grill a whole chicken. The Italian salad dressing gives the dish some zing and it does wonders for the chicken breasts, especially if they are left to marinate for several hours in the fridge. Just finish your meal off with some Grilled Veggies.

Marinated Grilled Chicken

Ingredients

• 8 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
  • 2 (16 ounce) bottles Italian-style salad dressing
  • 1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper
  • salt to taste

Directions

1. Rinse chicken and pat dry. Place in a shallow glass bowl and pour 1/2 bottle of salad dressing over it. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
  2. Lightly oil grill and preheat to medium high.
  3. Remove chicken breasts from marinade. Season with lemon pepper and salt to taste. Grill over medium high heat for 10 to 15 minutes on each side, or until chicken is cooked through and juices run clear. Serves 6-8.

Bring out the best flavor of fresh vegetables by basting them with herb-infused Swanson(R) Broth during grilling.

Herb Grilled Vegetables

Ingredients

• 2/3 cup Swanson® Low Sodium Chicken Broth
  • 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1-1/4 large red onion, thickly sliced
  • 1-1/4 large red or green pepper , cut into wide strips
  • 1-1/4 medium zucchini or yellow squash
  • 2-2/3 cups large mushrooms

Directions

Stir the broth, thyme and black pepper in a small bowl. Brush the vegetables with the broth mixture. Lightly oil the grill rack and heat the grill to medium. Grill the vegetables for 10 minutes or until they're tender, turning over once during cooking and brushing often with the broth mixture. Serves 6-8.

Enjoy Your Weekend My Friends,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/1/2012 5:18:32 PM

Hello My Friends,

A nice big roasted chicken with sticky honey-spice coating makes a great meal for this Sunday's dinner or any family occasion you want to make special. It's wonderful when paired with a fresh green salad.

Spicy Honey-Roasted Chicken

Ingredients

• 1 (6 pound) whole roasting chicken
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 2 tablespoons butter melted

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Rinse and pat dry the chicken; place in roasting pan.
  2. In a bowl, mix together the honey, chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and garlic powder. Using your hands, rub the honey mixture all over the chicken. Baste chicken with the melted butter.
  3. Roast the chicken in the preheated oven until the skin begins to brown, 30 to 45 minutes. Baste the chicken with juices in the roasting pan.
  4. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C), and roast until no longer pink at the bone and the juices run clear, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Baste occasionally during roasting. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh, near the bone should read 180 degrees F (80 degrees C). Remove the chicken from the oven, cover with a doubled sheet of aluminum foil, and allow to rest in a warm area for 10 minutes before slicing. Serves 8.

Have A Great Day,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/2/2012 7:13:32 PM
Hello Friends,
For tonight's Dinner, we'll have this slow roast, with the potatoes and vegetables precooked, so they come out perfectly tender when the pork loin is done. The rosemary, coriander, fennel seeds, and other Tuscan flavors rubbed over the pork also season the juice it releases, which creates a delicious jus for serving.

1/4 cup plus 1 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
2 Tbs. sambuca
4 large cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbs. finely chopped fresh rosemary
2 tsp. dried fennel seeds, crushed
1 tsp. ground coriander
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 3-lb. boneless pork loin (have your butcher leave 1/8 inch fat on the top)
1-1/2 lb. small yellow potatoes (about 10), halved
3 medium parsnips, peeled, cut lengthwise into quarters, and cored
2 medium sweet onions, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch slices
1 large fennel bulb, stalks trimmed, bulb quartered, cored, and cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices (fronds reserved)
1-1/2 cups lower-salt chicken broth
3/4 cup dry white wine

In a small bowl, combine 1 Tbs. each of the oil and sambuca with the garlic, rosemary, fennel seeds, coriander, 1-1/2 Tbs. salt, and 3/4 tsp. pepper to make a paste; set aside.

Pat the roast dry with paper towels. Rub the paste over the entire roast. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 400°F.

Arrange the potatoes, parsnips, onions, and fennel in a 13x17-inch (or similar) roasting pan, season with 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/8 tsp. pepper, and drizzle with the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil. Roast, turning occasionally, until a fork inserted in the center of each type of vegetable meets little resistance, about 40 minutes.

Meanwhile, remove the roast from the refrigerator and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.

Reduce the oven temperature to 300°F. Put the roast, fat side up, on top of the vegetables. Add the chicken broth and wine, and roast, basting the meat and vegetables occasionally, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the roast registers 135°F to 140°F, about 2 hours.

Transfer the roast to a serving platter or carving board, cover loosely with foil, and let rest for 20 to 30 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer the vegetables to a large sheet of foil; wrap and keep warm in the turned-off oven.

Pour the juice from the roasting pan into a fat separator and let sit until the fat rises to the top. Pour the clear juice into a 1-quart saucepan, leaving the fat behind, and put over medium-high heat. Add the remaining 1 Tbs. sambuca and simmer until the jus is slightly reduced, 3 to 5 minutes. Strain through a fine sieve and season to taste with salt and pepper.

Arrange the pork on a platter with the vegetables, garnish with the fennel fronds, and serve with the jus on the side. Serves 6.
Have A Marvelous Monday.
Phil
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!