Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
3/17/2012 5:21:37 PM
Hi Roger,

It must be the English in me that is turned off by the gravy and biscuits. What a waste of biscuits, to me gravy belongs on mashed potatoes. I don't gravy on a lot of things. I guess I am a plain Jane. lol But gravy on biscuits, yuck!!! I like butter and jelly on my biscuits.

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/17/2012 10:28:13 PM

Hi Roger & Myrna,

It seems that you've hit on a Cultural difference, in other words, its a "Southern Thang". Growing up in the South, no Breakfast was complete without the Sausage & Gravy Bicuits! It's right up there with Grits and Fresh 'Maters.

Here's a family favorite that my dad taught me long ago. It's very filling and if company arrives unexpectedly for breakfast, just add more flour and milk. This recipe works best with a cast iron skillet as it holds heat so well and besides, it makes the meal more authentic. Serve over warm homemade buttermilk biscuits. If you can, always avoid using dried herbs. Fresh herbs add much more flavor.

Country Sausage Gravy

Ingredients

• 1-1/2 pounds pork sausage
  • 1-1/2 onion, finely chopped
  • 1-1/2 green bell pepper, finely chopped
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
  • 3 tablespoons garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh sage
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
  • 3 cups milk, divided
  • 3 cubes chicken bouillon
  • 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley

Directions

1. In a skillet on medium heat cook pork, onion, green pepper, red pepper flakes, and garlic until pork is crumbly. Drain off excess fat, but leave a small amount.
  2. Combine butter, salt, and pepper with the meat mixture and stir until butter melts. Slowly sift flour over the top. Mix gently and allow mixture to cook for 5 minutes. It will burn, so do not let it sit unguarded. Don't forget to scrape the bottom of the pan. Add the sage and thyme.
  3. Slowly stir in milk, about a half a cup at a time, and incorporate it well. When the mixture thickens, add more milk. Do not let it boil vigorously, or it will burn. Add chicken bullion and let cook for five minutes. Again, if it thickens too much, add more milk. Adjust taste with more salt and pepper if needed.
  4. Just before serving, add the parsley, and about a 1/4 cup more milk; the gravy will thicken quickly as it cools. Serves 5-6.

Have A Wonderful Weekend,

Phil

P.S. Myrna, I prefer Grandma's Molasses or Honey & Butter with my Biscuits.

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/18/2012 9:51:34 AM

Thank you Phil,

I thank God that we are all so different.

The world is made so much more interesting.

Your Italian connections come through in your recepies.

It appears that the biscuits are similar to English scones but double baked and that the dish was developed through European settlers in the South of the USA. I think that I have seen something similar in Dutch cookery.

Roger

Myrna and I obviously think of gravy as being brown and meaty and find floury white gravy as odd.

You see Grits and Maters would be very foreign to me.

Vive la difference.

Roger

+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/18/2012 7:04:48 PM
Roger,

I think I am between the dutch and the North here. Grits and maters is foreign to me too. As far as the gravy. I use cornstarch and tapioca starch to make gravy. I have gotten away from flour. Cornstrach and Tapioca are better for you, plus I like the taste better too. We just use the dripping in the pan to make the gravy. I like my gravy thin, I do not like the thick stuff.

Funny how we are get use to our ways, it is so good to hear how others like different things.
Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Phil for using your forum.
Happy Sunday to all
LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/20/2012 8:45:40 PM

Hello My Friends,

Seems that I got a little side-tracked talking about Breakfast. Here's a little something else that I often whip up using Bacon and Eggs. When buying spinach, look for leaves that are uniformly green and crisp. Avoid those that are wilted, excessively wet, or yellowed. Fresh spinach can be quite gritty, especially the larger bundled leaves, so wash it very carefully. This will serve six as a first course, or four, when you do as I do, and eat it as a main course.

Warm Spinach Salad with Eggs, Bacon & Croutons

2 large eggs
Kosher salt
4-1/2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
3 to 4 oz. rustic, coarse-textured bread, crust removed, cut into 3/4-inch cubes (to yield 3 cups)
3 Tbs. sherry vinegar
1 Tbs. Dijon mustard
Freshly ground black pepper
3 slices bacon, cut into 3/4-inch squares
1 small shallot, minced (1-1/2 Tbs.)
10 cups loosely packed baby spinach leaves, washed and dried (about 10 oz.)

Put the eggs in a small saucepan of water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil for 4 minutes. Turn off the heat and let cool in the water. When the eggs are cool, crack and peel them. Chop the eggs, season to taste with salt, and reserve.

Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 375°F. Heat 1-1/2 Tbs. of the olive oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until it starts to turn gold, about 1 minute. Discard the garlic.

Arrange the bread in a single layer on a baking sheet. Drizzle with the garlic-infused oil, sprinkle with a little salt, and toss. Bake, shaking the bread cubes once, until golden and crispy, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.

In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining 3 Tbs. olive oil, the sherry vinegar, and the mustard. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

In a 10-inch skillet, cook the bacon over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until golden brown and crisp, 3 to 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a plate lined with paper towels. Add the shallot to the pan and cook, stirring, until softened, about 1 minute. Let the pan cool slightly and add the vinaigrette to the pan, whisking well to blend the ingredients.

Toss the warm vinaigrette and the spinach together in a large bowl. Transfer to a platter and garnish with the chopped eggs, bacon, and croutons. Serve immediately.

Have A Terrific Tuesday,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!