Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
2/5/2012 7:33:25 PM

Hello My Friends,

Lean pork always requires some flavor-boosting strategies, on the stovetop and off. So first, these chops get a simple coarse rub of coriander, salt, and pepper; then, they’re quickly sautéed for browning and finished with a flavorful, nuanced sauce.

Coriander-Rubbed Pork Chops with Orange Hoisin Sauce

For the sauce:
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
2 Tbs. rice vinegar
1-1/2 tsp. frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
For the pork chops:
4 bone-in center-cut pork chops (1 to 1-1/2 inches thick)
1/4 cup toasted sesame oil
3 Tbs. freshly cracked coriander seeds
1 Tbs. kosher salt
1 Tbs. coarsely ground white or black pepper
1 Tbs. olive oil
For the scallions and pepper:
6 scallions (white and light green parts), thinly sliced lengthwise into julienne strips
1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and thinly sliced lengthwise into julienne strips
2 Tbs. chopped fresh ginger
3 Tbs. dry sherry
Kosher salt and freshly ground white pepper

Make the sauce:

In a small bowl, stir the hoisin sauce, rice vinegar, and orange juice concentrate until well mixed.

Cook the chops:

Pat the pork chops dry with paper towels and rub both sides with 2 tablespoons of the sesame oil, the coriander, salt, and pepper. Heat the remaining 2 Tbs. sesame oil and the olive oil in a very large sauté pan over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. (If you don’t have a sauté pan large enough to fit the chops without crowding, use two smaller sauté pans, divide the sesame and olive oils between them, and cook two chops in each.) Cook the chops until well browned on one side, 3 to 5 min. Turn and cook the other side until the meat is done, 2 to 4 min. (If they start to burn, turn down the heat slightly.) To check for doneness, make a small cut near the bone and look inside—the pork should have a hint of pinkness. If it’s still red, cook for another minute and check again. Transfer the chops to a plate, tent with foil, and let rest for 3 to 5 min. before serving.

Make the garnish:

Put the scallions, bell pepper, and ginger in the sauté pan over medium-high heat. (If you used two pans for the chops, use just one for the garnish). Cook, stirring constantly, until crisp-tender, about 2 min. Add the sherry; cook for another 30 seconds. Brush each chop generously with the sauce, top with the vegetables, and serve. Serves 4.

For this delightful side dish, look for fresh, tight Brussels sprouts with no discolored leaves or yellowed parts. If possible, buy them on the stalk and cut them off yourself, or buy them from bulk bins so you can pick through and get the freshest ones possible.

Stir-Fried Brussels Sprouts with Red Pepper

1 lb. small Brussels sprouts (3 cups)
2 Tbs. peanut oil
6 medium scallions, thinly sliced
1 Tbs. minced fresh ginger
1 medium clove garlic, minced
1/4 to 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1 medium red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped
2 Tbs. lower-sodium soy sauce
2 Tbs. rice vinegar
Kosher salt

Trim any tough exterior leaves from the Brussels sprouts and halve each lengthwise. Slice each half lengthwise into thirds. Set aside.

Heat the oil in a large wok or 10-inch straight-sided skillet over medium-high heat. Add the scallions, ginger, garlic, and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the Brussels sprouts and cook, stirring constantly, until they are bright green, about 4 minutes. Add the bell pepper, soy sauce, and vinegar. Cover the wok or skillet, reduce the heat to low, and simmer until the Brussels sprouts are crisp-tender, 6 to 8 minutes.

Uncover the wok or skillet, raise the heat to high, and bring the sauce to a full boil, stirring constantly, until reduced to a glaze, about 1 minute. Season to taste with salt and serve.
Serves 4.

Have A Wonderful Weekend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/10/2012 2:09:07 AM

Hello Friends,

Tonight, the Chicken is sauteed in seasoned juice and then baked with juice and olives for a special treat.

Chicken Breasts with Olives

Ingredients

• 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons minced garlic
  • 1 large lemon, juiced
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 20 pitted green olives

Directions

1. Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. Melt the butter in an oven-safe pan over medium heat. Stir the garlic, lemon juice, and tarragon into the butter. Cook the chicken breasts in the butter mixture until evenly browned, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Add the olives to the pan.
  3. Transfer the pan to the preheated oven and bake until the chicken is no longer pink in the center and the juices run clear, about 20 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 165 degrees F (74 degrees C). Serves 4.

Have A Terrific Thursday,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/10/2012 9:01:00 PM

Hello Friends,

Today we have delightfully light meal, excellent for weekend afternoon gatherings. Feel free to experiment with the seasonings and sauce ingredients to match your personal tastes.

Tilapia Pitas

Ingredients

• 1/4 cup mayonnaise
  • 2 tablespoons Italian salad dressing
  • 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
  • 1 anchovy fillets, drained
  • 1/2 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
  • 1/2 pinch salt
  • 1 tablespoon and 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 1/2 pound tilapia fillets
  • 1/8 teaspoon lemon pepper
  • salt and cayenne pepper to taste
  • 2 cups iceberg lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces
  • 1/2 small red onion, chopped
  • 3 pita breads, cut in half

Directions

1. In a small bowl, stir together the mayonnaise, Italian dressing, feta cheese and anchovies. Season with cayenne pepper, black pepper and salt. Mix until well blended, then set aside.
  2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Place the tilapia fillets in the skillet, and season with lemon pepper, salt and cayenne. Fry until browned on each side, and fish flakes easily with a fork, 5 to 7 minutes.
  3. Warm pita breads in the toaster or in the microwave to soften. Open from the cut side to make pockets. Fill pita bread halves with lettuce, onion, and tilapia fillets, then spoon in some of the feta cheese sauce. Serve and enjoy! Serves 6.

Have A Happy Weekend,

Phil

+0
Cheryl Baxter

2279 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/11/2012 6:52:49 AM
Gee Phil....you're making me so hungry! Your recipes sound delicious my friend. I am dropping by to say hello and see what new recipes you're offering up. They all sound good.

This week I've made a special attempt to cook more vegetables. Your brussel sprouts recipe sounds good. I cooked brussel sprouts a couple of days ago & I really enjoyed them. I cooked them just by steaming & added a little pepper and butter. Very simple but tasty. I've found that when you pick them out fresh at the super market, if you pick out the smaller sized ones they taste better. The bigger ones seem to have a bit of a bitter taste, but the small ones are tender and so fresh tasting when you steam them.

Take care,
Cheryl
http://texasgalswholesaleproperties.com "browse our current properties" http://fortworthwholesaleproperty.com "check out our real estate blog" http://mydiscountchristianbooks.com "online bibles, books, music, more"
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/14/2012 11:43:23 PM

Hi Cheryl,

If you're getting hungry, then that means that the food looks appetizing at least. I love to cook, almost as much as I love to eat, and I like to see everyone "full" and happy.

I love Brussels Sprouts as well, my friend and I always try to buy everything fresh. Whenever that's not possible, I've started buying Pictsweet "All Natural" and "Steam'ables". Their Baby Brussels Sprouts are almost as good as fresh.

Here's a little Recipe that I thought you all might like. Though the lamb itself is deeply flavorful, the sweet-tart sauce is the real reason you won't want this meal to end. The sauce cooks in just minutes and its components: pomegranate juice, wine, broth, balsamic vinegar, thyme, and honey, marry beautifully to dress up otherwise simple chops. Serve with mashed potatoes and some Green Beans to make your meal complete.

Lamb Chops with Pomegranate Red-Wine Sauce

12 lamb rib chops
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup minced shallot (about 1 large)
1/2 cup pomegranate juice (such as Pom brand)
1/4 cup full-bodied dry red wine
1/4 cup homemade or low-salt chicken broth
1-1/2 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
1 Tbs. fresh thyme leaves, finely chopped
1/2 Tbs. honey
2 Tbs. cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes

Liberally season the lamb chops with salt and pepper on both sides. Heat the olive oil in a 12-inch sauté pan over medium-high heat until very hot. Sear the chops in two batches, until well browned on both sides, about 2 minutes per side for medium rare, 3 minutes per side for medium. Keep the chops warm on a platter covered with foil. Pour off and discard all but about 1 or 2 Tbs. fat from the pan.

Add the shallot to the pan and cook, stirring constantly, until browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the pomegranate juice, wine, chicken broth, vinegar, thyme, and honey and cook, stirring, until the liquid is reduced by half, 3 to 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium low and swirl in the butter until it melts. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.

Transfer the chops to dinner plates and serve with the sauce. Serves 4.

Have A Terrific Tuesday,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!