Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
1/21/2012 1:01:57 AM

Hello Friends,

Here's a little treat for Friday Fish night. Chinese five-spice powder, honey, and soy sauce create a tasty glaze for this simple salmon dish. Broil the green beans and salmon on the same baking sheet, and you have a meal in minutes.

Five-Spice-Glazed Salmon With Sesame Green Beans

Ingredients
1/4 cup honey
4 tsp. reduced-sodium soy sauce
1-1/2 tsp. five-spice powder
2 large cloves garlic, minced
Four 6-oz. skin-on salmon fillets (preferably wild), pin bones and scales removed
Nonstick cooking spray
1 lb. slender green beans, trimmed
2 tsp. canola oil
1 tsp. Asian sesame oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 Tbs. toasted sesame seeds
1 tsp. lemon juice

Directions

In a small bowl, whisk the honey, soy sauce, five-spice powder, and garlic. Put the salmon skin side down on a large plate and pour the honey mixture over it. Flip the fillets so they are skin side up. Let the fish marinate for 15 minutes at room temperature.

Position a rack 6 inches from the broiler and heat the broiler on high. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil and coat with cooking spray.

In a large bowl, toss the green beans with the canola and sesame oils. Arrange the beans on one half of the prepared baking sheet and season with salt and pepper. Arrange the salmon skin side down on the other half of the baking sheet. Brush the salmon with any remaining marinade from the plate.

Broil the salmon and green beans for 3 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven, toss the green beans with tongs, and reposition the salmon pieces as needed so that they cook evenly. Continue to broil until the salmon is just cooked through and the beans are crisp-tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Toss the green beans with the sesame seeds and lemon juice and serve. Serves 4.

For a delightful side dish, this recipe makes good use of leftover broccoli stalks, but its easily adaptable, so feel free to substitute other vegetables you might have in the fridge—asparagus, zucchini, peas, mushrooms, bok choy, bean sprouts, and jícama are all possibilities. The chewy brown rice has a nutty flavor, and you just can't argue with its antioxidant power and fiber. If you order the brown rice with Chinese takeout, bear in mind that the rice has to be well chilled so the starch hardens and becomes fry-able. Use fresh rice and you wind up with a gummy mess.

Five-Treasure Fried Rice

Ingredients
2 Tbs. canola oil
1 cup peeled, finely diced broccoli stems (from about 1-1/4 lb. broccoli)
3/4 cup finely diced carrots
3/4 cup finely diced red bell pepper
3/4 cup frozen shelled edamame
3/4 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen
4 scallions (both white and green parts), thinly sliced
2 Tbs. finely grated fresh ginger
2 large cloves garlic, minced
4 cups very cold cooked brown rice
3/4 cup finely diced Canadian bacon (4 oz.)
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup lower-sodium soy sauce

Directions

Heat all but 1 tsp. of the oil in a large nonstick skillet or stir-fry pan over medium-high heat. Add the broccoli stems, carrots, and bell pepper and cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables begin to soften, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the edamame and corn and cook until the edamame is thawed, about 1 minute. Add the scallion, ginger, and garlic and cook, stirring, until the raw garlic aroma subsides, about 1 minute. Add the rice and Canadian bacon and cook, stirring, until heated through, 3 to 5 minutes.

Make a 3-inch well in the center of the rice mixture. Add the remaining 1 tsp. oil, then the eggs, and cook, stirring, until the eggs are almost fully scrambled. Stir the eggs into the rice mixture. Stir in the soy sauce and serve. Serves 4.

Have A Happy Friday,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/21/2012 2:39:09 AM
Hi Phil,

Good dinner. I love friend rice, thank for the recipe

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/21/2012 3:02:21 AM

Hi Myrna,

Thanks for stopping by and thanks for the cute Baby Pic! I'm right with you, I could eat Fried Rice every day, and this way it's even healthier.

Since we're eating healthier, how's about we reward our Sweet Tooth as well. Here, an apple is filled with a cinnamon cheesecake center. I used a Braeburn apple but any variety will work. Great on those cold nights! Serve with whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

Baked Stuffed Apple

Ingredients

• 1 apple
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 pinch ground nutmeg
  • 1 tablespoon white sugar
  • 2 tablespoons cream cheese
  • 1 tablespoon dried cranberries

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
  2. Cut the stem out of the apple and hollow out the center until it is about 1 1/2 inches wide without going through the bottom. In a small cup, stir together the cinnamon, nutmeg and sugar. Set aside half of this mixture, and mix the rest with the cream cheese and dried cranberries.
  3. Sprinkle some of the reserved cinnamon sugar into the apple's cavity. Fill with the cream cheese mixture, and sprinkle the remaining cinnamon sugar on the top. Place the apple in a small baking dish.
  4. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the apple is tender enough to easily pierce with a fork. Serves 1.

Wishing You A Wonderful Weekend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/23/2012 7:13:40 PM

Hello Friends,

In honor of the Chinese New Year, here's one that I try from time to time. A savory pork, shrimp and salted cabbage filling, seasoned with ginger, garlic and scallions, is the most traditional filling for Jiao Zi. Butcher counters in Asian markets often offer several grinds of pork. For dumplings, use a coarser grind with more fat to ensure a tender, juicy filling. Hand-minced or ground beef or lamb, both typical in northern Chinese cooking, can be substituted for the ground pork and shrimp.

Chinese Pork & Shrimp Dumplings (Jiao Zi)

For the dough:
6-3/4 oz. (1-1/2 cups) unbleached all-purpose flour; more for kneading
For the filling:
2 cups finely chopped napa cabbage
Kosher salt
12 oz. ground pork
8 oz. peeled, deveined shrimp, coarsely chopped
3 medium scallions, thinly sliced
3 large cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbs. Shaoxing (Chinese rice wine) or dry sherry
1-1/2 Tbs. grated fresh ginger
1 Tbs. soy sauce
2 tsp. toasted Asian sesame oil
1/2 tsp. granulated sugar
Freshly ground black pepper
To finish the dumplings:
Vegetable oil, as needed (for pan-fried dumplings)
Kosher salt, as needed (for boiled dumplings)
Favorite Dipping Sauce

Make the dough:

Pour the flour into a mound on a clean work surface. Make a deep, wide well in the center and pour in 1/2 cup cold water. Stir with your fingers, staying in the center at first and being careful that the water doesn’t breach the wall. Little by little, using your hand and a bench knife, mix in flour from the sides until the dough starts to come together. (Alternatively, put the flour in a medium bowl. Make a well, add the water, and stir first with a spoon and then your hand.) If the dough remains in shreds, sprinkle in additional water, a teaspoon at a time, until it begins to stick together. Don’t add too much water or the dough will be difficult to work.

Knead the dough for 5 minutes to form a smooth, firm, elastic ball. (If you began the dough in a bowl, lightly dust a clean, dry surface with flour before kneading.) The dough should not be sticky and should bounce back when pressed with a fingertip. Divide in half with a bench knife and roll into two 6-inch logs. Sprinkle each log evenly with flour, cover with a clean kitchen towel, and let rest for at least 30 minutes at room temperature before rolling and filling.

Make the filling:

In a medium bowl, toss the cabbage with 2 tsp. salt and set aside for 30 minutes to shed moisture. Wring out in a clean kitchen towel to extract as much liquid as possible.

In a large bowl, combine the cabbage with the pork, shrimp, scallions, garlic, Shaoxing, ginger, soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar, and 1/4 tsp. pepper. Stir until well mixed. Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.

Cut and roll the dough:
Tip: If you have helpers, set up an assembly line and roll out each wrapper, then pass it along to the next person to fill. If you're filling all the dumplings yourself, it's best to roll out several wrappers, and keep them covered with a kitchen towel as you fill them, to prevent them from drying out.

Cut each log in half crosswise. Cut each half crosswise into thirds, and then slice each of those pieces into three even coins. You should have 36 pieces of equal size. Toss the pieces in flour to coat evenly and then cover with a clean towel so they don’t dry out.

Using a small rolling pin, roll a piece of dough into a thin 3-inch circle; with the dough in one hand and the pin in the other, roll from the edges toward the center as you rotate the dough. This rolling technique helps create a round with thin edges and a thicker center.

Fill and shape the dumplings:

Spoon 1 to 2 tsp. of the filling onto a dough circle, fold it in half, and then if you’re going to boil the dumplings, seal it by pinching along the curved edge. If you’re planning to pan-fry the dumplings for pot stickers, make your first pinch at the center of the curved edge and then pleat toward the center on both sides to create a rounded belly. This wider shape allows the dumplings to sit upright in the pan and form a flat surface for browning.

Repeat with the remaining wrappers and filling. As you work, arrange the filled dumplings in a single layer without touching on large plates, so they don’t stick together.

To cook: either boil the dumplings...

Bring a large (7- to 8-quart) pot of salted water to a boil. Working in 2 or 3 batches to avoid overcrowding, quickly add the dumplings one at a time, making sure they don’t stick to each other. Lower the heat to medium and continue to boil, gently stirring occasionally, until the dumplings float and are cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and serve immediately with your choice of dipping sauce.

...or pan-fry the dumplings

Heat 2 Tbs. vegetable oil in a heavy-duty 10- or 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Working quickly and in batches if necessary (adding more oil for the second batch if needed), arrange the dumplings belly side down in concentric circles starting from the outer edge. Cook until golden brown on the bottom, 1 to 2 minutes. Pour in about 1/2 cup water or enough to come about a third of the way up the sides of the dumplings, bring to a boil, cover, and cook until all of the water has been absorbed, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the lid, reduce the heat to medium, and continue cooking just until the dumplings are dry and crisp on the bottom, 1 to 2 minutes. Loosen the dumplings from the pan with a spatula. Invert the pan over a plate to flip the dumplings, browned side up, onto the plate (or transfer with a spatula). Serve immediately with your choice of dipping sauce. Personally I like Ginger-Vinegar Sauce (Recipe Below). Makes (36) 3-Inch Dumplings.

Serve this tangy sauce with your Chinese Pork and Shrimp Dumplings. You can find Chinese black and red vinegar at an Asian market.

Ginger Vinegar Sauce

3 Tbs. Chinese black or red vinegar
1 Tbs. finely julienned fresh ginger

Pour the vinegar into a small serving bowl. Add the ginger just before serving.

Have A Great Week,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/25/2012 3:18:58 AM

Hello My Friends,

Look's like Grandma's in the kitchen tonight.

First, we have some delicious chicken coated in bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Sooo easy and your guests will never know how hard you didn't work!

Grandma's Chicken Chardon

Ingredients

• 6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
  • 3/4 egg
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder, divided
  • 3/4 cup bread crumbs
  • 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
  • 3/4 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
  • 3 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 2-1/4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
  • 3/4 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
  2. In a shallow bowl, beat the egg with salt, pepper and 1 teaspoon garlic powder. In a separate dish, mix bread crumbs with 1 teaspoon of garlic powder and Parmesan cheese. Set aside.
  3. Mix together the melted butter and lemon juice. Pour about 2/3 of the butter mixture into the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Tilt pan to coat the bottom. Spread mushrooms in an even layer in the bottom of the dish. Dip each chicken breast into the egg mixture, then into the bread crumb mixture. Place on top of the mushrooms. Drizzle remaining butter over the chicken, and sprinkle with parsley.
  4. Bake uncovered for 45 minutes in the preheated oven, until chicken is golden brown and juices run clear. Serves 6.

Next, honey and balsamic vinegar add the sweet and tangy aspects of this delicious and nutritious vegetarian side dish or salad.

Sweet & Tangy Sauteed Collard Greens

Ingredients

• 2-1/4 teaspoons vegetable oil
  • 3/8 Vidalia or other sweet onion, sliced
  • 1-1/4 pounds collard greens - rinsed, trimmed and chopped
  • 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons water
  • 2 tablespoons and 3/4 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon and 1-1/2 teaspoons honey
  • 3/4 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root
  • 3 tablespoons and 2-1/4 teaspoons melted butter
  • salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Directions

1. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in collard greens, in batches if necessary, until they wilt slightly and all fit in the skillet. Pour in water and cook, stirring occasionally, until bright green and tender, 5 to 7 minutes, regulating heat to prevent burning. Drain.
  2. Meanwhile, whisk vinegar, honey, ginger and butter together in a serving bowl for dressing. Add greens to bowl and toss with dressing. Season to taste with salt and pepper; serve warm. Serves 6.

Finish off the meal with this simple and delicious recipe for rosemary-kissed roasted red potatoes.

Roast Potatoes

Ingredients

• 3 pounds red potatoes, cut into quarters
  • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 3/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (250 degrees C).
  2. Place potatoes in a large roasting pan and toss with oil, salt, pepper, and rosemary until evenly coated. Spread out potatoes in a single layer.
  3. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve immediately. Serves 6.

Have A Delightful Week,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!