Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
1/25/2012 5:25:53 AM
Well now that Tuesday dinner looks mighty good, guess I will have to wait until next Tuesday to make it, because my clock says it is Wednesday. lol The chicken sounds yummy

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/25/2012 8:58:59 PM

Hi Myrna,

Sorry about that, got a late start! Here's a sandwich or two that you could make tonight, along with some healthy "fries".

First, here's an all-around, eat-anytime burger with cheese and a fried egg. Feel free to add your other favorite toppings to this satisfying sandwich.

Burley Burger

Ingredients

• 2 slices white bread
  • 1 (4 ounce) beef hamburger patty
  • 1 teaspoon mayonnaise
  • 1 egg
  • 1 slice American cheese

Directions

1. Place the bread in a toaster set to your desired level of darkness. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Fry the hamburger patty for about 5 minutes per side, until cooked through. While the patty is cooking, spread mayonnaise on one side of each piece of toasted bread and place them on a plate, mayonnaise side up.
  2. Once the patty is cooked through, transfer it to one slice of bread. Crack the egg into the skillet and fry until the yolk is firm, about 3 minutes if you cover the pan. Place the egg onto the patty when done and top with a slice of cheese. Top with the other slice of bread. When finished, it should look like a sandwich.

Now for the healthier alternative. I have two different favorite veggie burger recipes and found that mixing them into one created the ULTIMATE veggie bean burger. Even my meat-and-potatoes family LOVES these and says that they could eat them every week.

Best of Everything Veggie Burger

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 (16 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 green bell pepper, halved and seeded
  • 1 onion, quartered
  • 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
  • 6 cloves garlic, peeled
  • 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon ground cumin
  • 1 tablespoon garlic salt
  • 1 teaspoon hot sauce
  • 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs, or as needed

Directions

1. Bring the brown rice and water to a boil in a saucepan over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the rice is tender, and the liquid has been absorbed, 45 to 50 minutes.
  2. Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat. Lightly oil a sheet of aluminum foil. Mash black beans in a large bowl with a fork until thick and pasty; set aside.
  3. Place the bell pepper, onion, mushrooms, and garlic in the bowl of a food processor, and chop finely. Stir the bell pepper mixture into the mashed black beans. Place the brown rice and mozzarella cheese in the food processor, and process until combined. Stir the mixture into the black beans.
  4. Whisk together the eggs, chili powder, cumin, garlic salt, and hot sauce. Stir the egg mixture into the black bean mixture. Stir in the bread crumbs, adding additional bread crumbs as needed until the mixture is sticky and holds together. Divide into 6 large patties.
  5. Place patties onto the prepared foil, and grill until browned and heated through, about 8 minutes per side. Serves 6.

Whichever choice that you decide to make, you really should try these "fries". Great snack or side dish to a healthy (baked not fried) meal. First time I made these, it was sort of an experiment; but apparently it was a successful one, because these fries disappeared in no time! These can also be made on the grill as well and make a great side for a summer barbecue.

Baked Fries

Ingredients

• olive oil cooking spray
  • 6 russet potatoes
  • 1 tablespoon and 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon and 1-1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
  • 2-1/4 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
  • 3/4 teaspoon dried parsley
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground sage
  • 3/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions

1. Preheat an oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
  2. Place whole potatoes into a covered dish; cook in microwave on High for 4 minutes. Allow to cool slightly before cutting each potato into 8 to 10 wedges.
  3. Place the potato wedges in a large bowl, drizzle with olive oil, and toss until evenly coated. Spread the wedges in a single layer onto the prepared baking sheet.
  4. Bake the potatoes in the preheated oven for 10 minutes. Spray the wedges with the cooking spray, turn, and spray again with the cooking spray. Continue baking until golden brown, about 12 minutes more.
  5. Stir the rosemary, thyme, garlic powder, oregano, parsley, sage, pepper, and salt together in a small bowl; sprinkle evenly over the potato wedges. Serve hot. Serves 6.

Have A Wonderful Wednesday,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/26/2012 8:19:40 PM

Hello My Friends,

Today we have a simple, savory recipe for pork shoulder roast that you can put in the oven and forget about until it's time to eat.

Easy Pork Roast

Ingredients

• 1 (4 pound) pork shoulder roast
  • 2 (16 ounce) cans cannellini beans
  • 1 (12 fluid ounce) can beer
  • 1 (28 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, drained
  • 2 large onions, coarsely chopped
  • 10 shallots, peeled
  • 10 cloves garlic, peeled
  • salt and black pepper to taste
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 3 sprigs fresh rosemary

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 275 degrees F (135 degrees C).
  2. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown the roast on all sides, about 10 minutes. Place roast into a large roasting pan. Pour beans, beer, and tomatoes over roast. Arrange onions, shallots, garlic, bay leaves and sprigs of rosemary around the roast, and season with salt and pepper.
  3. Cover, and bake for 4 hours. Raise the temperature to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C), and roast 1 hour more. Serves 6-8.

Next, we'll add this sweet and chunky side dish that reminds me of the fall and all of the flavors that I look forward to cooking with.

Carrot-Sweet Potato Mash

Ingredients

• 1 (16 ounce) package baby carrots
  • 1 sweet potato, peeled and cubed
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup applesauce, or as needed
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup raisins

Directions

1. Place carrots and potatoes into a large pot and cover with salted water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and allow to steam dry for a minute or two.
  2. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat, then stir in the applesauce and brown sugar until dissolved. When the potatoes are ready, transfer to a serving bowl and mash until smooth. Then fold in the applesauce mixture and raisins. Serves 6.

Hope Your Week's Going Great,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/27/2012 9:01:32 PM
Hello My Friends,

As you all know, I love Fish in any form, but some of my family don't really care for it. Fortunately, Tilapia can make even the non-fish lover take notice. Great sweet taste and no fishy smell! Best of all it's on your table in 40 minutes.

Raspberry Tilapia

Ingredients

• 4 (4 ounce) fillets tilapia (bream)
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup raspberry vinegar
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 11x7 inch baking dish.
  2. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the olive oil, raspberry vinegar, honey, mustard and dill weed.
  3. Arrange the tilapia filets in a single layer in the prepared baking dish. Pour mixture over the fish filets, coating the filets evenly.
  4. Bake in a preheated oven, uncovered for 20 minutes or until fish is flaky with a fork. Serves 4.
This side dish is simple to put together, but delicious. I hope you all enjoy it as much as we did.

Easy Red Rice

Ingredients

• 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 4 fresh tomatoes, diced
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1 1/3 cups uncooked white rice

Directions

1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the onions in the heated oil until clear, but not brown. Add tomatoes, chicken broth, and basil; bring to a boil. Stir in rice and return to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer until the liquid is completely absorbed into the rice, about 20 minutes. Serves 4.

Finally, if you really love those Raspberries, and you're looking for a little something different, try this Salad Vinaigrette. A very easy, flavor-filled dressing that goes with any kind of salad. Only three ingredients! I like to use it with romaine, feta, toasted pecans, bacon, and red onion. Makes around 2 Cups.

Red Raspberry Vinaigrette

Ingredients

• 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 cup seasoned rice vinegar
  • 1 (10 ounce) jar seedless raspberry jam

Directions

1. Combine the olive oil, rice vinegar and raspberry jam in the container of a blender. Process until smooth. Store in a jar in the refrigerator.

Have A Wonderful Weekend My Friends,

Phil

+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/27/2012 9:44:27 PM
Hi Phil,

I have been wanting a recipe for Red Raspberry Vinaigrette

It is funny, so many times I wish I had that recipe, and it isn't long until you post it. Are you reading my mind??? lol
LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!