Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
10/14/2011 7:48:02 PM

Hi Pat,

Glad you liked the recipe. Sometimes it's the simple ones that are the best, at least they were when I was growing up at home. Thanks for stopping back by for a visit.

Well, we're back for Friday Fish night once again it seems. Fish is the ultimate fast food, but that doesn’t mean it has to taste like fast food. If you don’t have flounder, it’s fine to substitute another lean, white-fleshed variety, but don’t substitute oily-fleshed fish, such as salmon, char, tuna, and bluefish. Flounder, sole, striped bass, snapper, and farm-raised tilapia work best with this Caesar-inspired glaze.

Broiled Flounder with Parmesan “Caesar” Glaze

8 skinless flounder fillets, 4 to 5 oz. each
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup good-quality mayonnaise
1-1/2 oz. (1/2 cup) freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano, grated on the small holes of a box grater
1-1/2 Tbs. loosely packed finely grated lemon zest (from 1 large lemon)
1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 small clove garlic, minced
2 Tbs. coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

Preparation

Position a rack 4 inches from the heat element and heat the broiler on high. Lightly season both sides of the fillets with salt and pepper. Set a fillet before you, skinned side up, and starting at the narrow end, roll up the fillet. Repeat with the remaining fillets.

Spray a broiler pan with nonstick cooking spray. Arrange the flounder rolls, seam side down, in the pan. Broil until the tops are lightly browned, 7 to 8 min. Meanwhile, whisk the mayonnaise, Parmesan, lemon zest and juice, Worcestershire, and garlic in a small bowl. Season with pepper to taste.

When the tops of the fillets are lightly browned, remove the fish from the broiler. Spread equal amounts of the mayonnaise mixture over the top of each fillet. Return to the broiler until the topping is golden brown and bubbling, 1-1/2 to 2 min. Transfer the fillets to four dinner plates and sprinkle with the parsley. Serve immediately. Serves 4-6.
Have A Super Weekend My Friends,
Phil
“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/16/2011 5:07:37 PM
Hello My Friends,

Here's Sunday's Dinner, at least at my house, this week. Hope that you all will give a try as well. The Apples are in at all of the Farmer's Markets around the area, so I don't have to wait any longer. In this recipe, the Apples add a little fruity flavor to the gravy that's served with this tender herb-rubbed pork roast. I usually serve it with baked apple slices, boiled potatoes and some French bread.

Apple Braised Pork

Ingredients

• 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
  • 1 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 (3 pound) boneless pork loin roast
  • 1 tablespoon canola oil
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 large apple - peeled, cored and chopped
  • 1/2 cup frozen unsweetened apple juice concentrate, thawed
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions

1. Combine the thyme, sage and pepper; rub over pork. In a Dutch oven, brown meat on all sides in oil; remove and keep warm. In the same pan, saute onion and garlic until tender. Add the apple, apple juice concentrate and salt; bring to a boil. Return meat to the pan. Cover and bake at 325 degrees F for 55-75 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 160 degrees F, basting occasionally with juices.Remove to a serving platter and keep warm.
  2. Pour cooking liquid into a measuring cup; skim off fat. Cool cooking liquid slightly; place in a blender or food processor. Cover and process until smooth. Serve with the roast. Serves 10-12.

Have A Terrific Sunday My Friends,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/31/2011 2:49:13 AM

Hello My Friends,

Here's one that we had for Dinner this evening and I just wanted to share it with you all. This is fried chicken that's gone to finishing school, as a basil-Parmesan sauce brings it to a new level. It's a welcome change from the usual fried chicken and the cream sauce gives it a wonderful flavor.

Chicken In Basil Cream

Ingredients

• 1/4 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup dried bread crumbs
  • 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 1 (4 ounce) jar sliced pimento peppers, drained
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

Directions

1. Place milk and bread crumbs in separate, shallow bowls. In skillet, heat butter or margarine to medium heat. Dip chicken in milk, then coat with crumbs. Cook in butter or margarine, on both sides, until juices run clear (about 10 minutes). Remove and keep warm.
  2. Add broth to skillet. Bring to a boil over medium heat, and stir to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in cream and pimentos; boil and stir for 1 minute. Reduce heat.
  3. Add Parmesan cheese, basil and pepper. Stir sauce and cook until heated through. Pour mixture over chicken and serve. Serves 4.

Happy Sunday My Friends,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/29/2011 2:50:17 AM

Hello Friends,

Hope that everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving and that your Turkey wasn't the only thing that ended up stuffed! If you still have any leftovers from Thanksgiving or if you're planning ahead for the leftovers from Christmas, here's a little something different that you might like.

These delectable croquettes completely transfor leftover Thanksgiving turkey. They're bound with mashed potatoes, coated in crunchy crumbs, and served with a salad that gets a kick from dried cranberries.

Turkey Croquettes with Mixed Greens and Cranberry Vinaigrette

For the croquettes

4 cups (1 lb.) minced leftover grill-roasted turkey (or substitute any roast turkey or rotisserie chicken)
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
2 tsp. finely chopped fresh rosemary
1 tsp. finely chopped fresh thyme
1/2 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
12 oz. russet potatoes (2 small potatoes)
2-1/2 oz. (5 Tbs.) unsalted butter
6 Tbs. minced shallot
1 Tbs. all-purpose flour
1 cup whole milk
1 large egg
1 cup plain dry breadcrumbs
3 Tbs. olive oil
For the salad

1 medium shallot, minced
1/4 cup dried cranberries
3 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
6 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
5 oz. mixed greens (about 5 cups)

Make the croquettes

In a large bowl mix the turkey, cheese, parsley, rosemary, thyme, and lemon zest until combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Peel the potatoes and cut into 1-inch pieces. Put in a small saucepan, cover with cold water by at least 1 inch, and add a big pinch of salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer until tender, about 12 minutes. Drain and return to the pot. Put back over medium heat and dry the potatoes, shaking the pan until they’re floury-looking. Pass the potatoes through a ricer or food mill into the bowl with the turkey (or mash well and add to the turkey mixture).

Melt 1 Tbs. of the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallot and cook until translucent, about 2 minutes. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for about 1 minute. Whisk in the milk and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. Reduce the heat to low and simmer gently for 5 minutes.

With a spatula, scrape the sauce into the turkey mixture and stir to combine well. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide and shape the mixture into twelve 2-1/2-inch-wide patties.

Beat the egg and 2 Tbs. water in a shallow bowl. Spread the breadcrumbs on a plate. Dip each croquette into the egg, let any excess drip off, and then coat with breadcrumbs.

Make the salad dressing

Put the shallot in a small bowl with the dried cranberries, vinegar, lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine and let sit for about 5 minutes to let the cranberries soften. Gradually whisk in the oil until emulsified.

Cook the croquettes

Melt 2 Tbs. butter with 2 Tbs. oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. When the butter stops sizzling, add half the croquettes. Fry until golden brown, about 4 minutes, then turn carefully (the croquettes are delicate) and brown the other side, about 4 minutes more. Transfer to a plate. Add the remaining 2 Tbs. butter and 1 Tbs. oil to the skillet and fry the rest of the croquettes.

Toss the greens in a large bowl with the cranberry vinaigrette and salt and pepper to taste. Serve alongside the croquettes. Serves 6.

Have A Terrific Week.

Phil

+0
11/29/2011 3:05:03 AM

Hello Phil, GREAT to see you back and posting this awesome sounding recipe for these croquettes. This is one I will definitely be trying. Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. I've not been able to cook much in the last couple of weeks because the refrigerator wasn't keeping anything cool enough in the refrigerated section so I wasn't able to store things like milk, butter, eggs and etc that you normably do, but the freezer part works fine. I didn't realize in time though before I lost several things. I have a new one coming Wednesday, thank heavens for the black Friday sales.:) I guess I didn't have a very thorough home inspector because he also failed to find that neither of the showers had hot water due to faulty valves because they were Moen facets, which I found has an ongoing problems with them. Anyway, thanks again and have a great week. :)

Evelyn

Quote:

Hello Friends,

Hope that everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving and that your Turkey wasn't the only thing that ended up stuffed! If you still have any leftovers from Thanksgiving or if you're planning ahead for the leftovers from Christmas, here's a little something different that you might like.

These delectable croquettes completely transfor leftover Thanksgiving turkey. They're bound with mashed potatoes, coated in crunchy crumbs, and served with a salad that gets a kick from dried cranberries.

Turkey Croquettes with Mixed Greens and Cranberry Vinaigrette

For the croquettes

4 cups (1 lb.) minced leftover grill-roasted turkey (or substitute any roast turkey or rotisserie chicken)
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
2 tsp. finely chopped fresh rosemary
1 tsp. finely chopped fresh thyme
1/2 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
12 oz. russet potatoes (2 small potatoes)
2-1/2 oz. (5 Tbs.) unsalted butter
6 Tbs. minced shallot
1 Tbs. all-purpose flour
1 cup whole milk
1 large egg
1 cup plain dry breadcrumbs
3 Tbs. olive oil
For the salad

1 medium shallot, minced
1/4 cup dried cranberries
3 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
6 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
5 oz. mixed greens (about 5 cups)

Make the croquettes

In a large bowl mix the turkey, cheese, parsley, rosemary, thyme, and lemon zest until combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Peel the potatoes and cut into 1-inch pieces. Put in a small saucepan, cover with cold water by at least 1 inch, and add a big pinch of salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer until tender, about 12 minutes. Drain and return to the pot. Put back over medium heat and dry the potatoes, shaking the pan until they’re floury-looking. Pass the potatoes through a ricer or food mill into the bowl with the turkey (or mash well and add to the turkey mixture).

Melt 1 Tbs. of the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallot and cook until translucent, about 2 minutes. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for about 1 minute. Whisk in the milk and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. Reduce the heat to low and simmer gently for 5 minutes.

With a spatula, scrape the sauce into the turkey mixture and stir to combine well. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide and shape the mixture into twelve 2-1/2-inch-wide patties.

Beat the egg and 2 Tbs. water in a shallow bowl. Spread the breadcrumbs on a plate. Dip each croquette into the egg, let any excess drip off, and then coat with breadcrumbs.

Make the salad dressing

Put the shallot in a small bowl with the dried cranberries, vinegar, lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine and let sit for about 5 minutes to let the cranberries soften. Gradually whisk in the oil until emulsified.

Cook the croquettes

Melt 2 Tbs. butter with 2 Tbs. oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. When the butter stops sizzling, add half the croquettes. Fry until golden brown, about 4 minutes, then turn carefully (the croquettes are delicate) and brown the other side, about 4 minutes more. Transfer to a plate. Add the remaining 2 Tbs. butter and 1 Tbs. oil to the skillet and fry the rest of the croquettes.

Toss the greens in a large bowl with the cranberry vinaigrette and salt and pepper to taste. Serve alongside the croquettes. Serves 6.

Have A Terrific Week.

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!