Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
11/29/2011 6:00:08 PM
Hi Phil,

This is a cool way to use your mashed potatoes and turkey. It looks so good. Love that salad too.

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Patricia Bartch

9394 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/29/2011 6:20:17 PM
what a yummy meal myrna.

mashed potatoes and turkey!! yum

pat

http://community.adlandpro.com/forums/post/897555/ALLTHINGSCHRISTMASPleaseshareyourPicturesFamilySto.aspx?flag=149252171

Quote:
Hi Phil,

This is a cool way to use your mashed potatoes and turkey. It looks so good. Love that salad too.

I'm Your AVON LADY: http://youravon.com/pbartch *Ask me how to get FREE Shipping.
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/23/2011 11:00:01 PM

Hello Friends,

Here's one that I tried just last Friday over at my Brother's house, so I wanted to share this with you all for Friday fish night. Why should chicken have all the fun? In this recipe, it's a mild and quick-cooking tilapia that gets a coating of herbs and cheese, and, because of its simple yet flavorful sweet tomato sauce, even people who usually pass on fish are willing to give this dish a try.

Herb & Parmigiano Crusted Tilapia with Quick Tomato Sauce

2 large cloves garlic, minced (about 1 Tbs.)
6 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes
Pinch granulated sugar
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup fresh breadcrumbs
3/4 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
1/2 cup chopped mixed fresh herbs, such as thyme, parsley, chives, or oregano
Four 6-oz. skinless tilapia fillets
1 large egg

In a small (1- to 2-quart), heavy saucepan, cook the garlic in 2 Tbs. of the oil over medium heat until it begins to color, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and their juices, sugar, and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally and breaking up the tomatoes with a wooden spoon. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Meanwhile, on a large plate, toss the breadcrumbs, Parmigiano, herbs, 1/4 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper.

Season the fish with salt and pepper. Beat the egg in a wide, shallow dish. Dip each fillet in the egg and then the breadcrumb mixture, pressing it on to help it adhere.

In a 12-inch heavy-duty nonstick skillet, heat the remaining 4 Tbs. olive oil over medium-high heat. Add two of the fillets and cook until the coating is nicely browned and the flesh is opaque and cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Use a slotted spatula to move the fish. Repeat with the remaining fillets. Serve the tilapia with a spoonful of the sauce. Serves 4.

Add this side dish of mildly bitter broccoli raab, tempered with sweet balsamic vinegar, garlic, anchovies, and a touch of hot chiles. Even if you're like me and you think you don’t like anchovies, don’t leave them out. Their flavor blends into the background and gives this dish a savory edge that is absolutely delicious.

Sautéed Broccoli Raab with Balsamic Vinegar

1/4 cup aged balsamic vinegar
Kosher salt
2 large bunches broccoli raab (2-1/2 lb.), thick stems trimmed, leaves and florets rinsed well
4 medium cloves garlic, lightly crushed and peeled
3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
4 oil-packed anchovy fillets, finely chopped
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
Freshly ground black pepper

In a small saucepan, boil the vinegar over medium-high heat until reduced by half, about 4 minutes. Set aside.

Bring a large pot of well-salted water to a boil over high heat. Have a large bowl of ice water ready. Blanch the broccoli raab in the boiling water for 3 minutes (the water needn’t return to a boil). Drain it and transfer to the ice water to cool. Drain well and gently squeeze the broccoli raab to remove excess water.

Heat the garlic and oil in a large skillet over medium heat until the garlic begins to turn golden, 2 minutes; remove and discard the garlic. Add the anchovies, mashing them with the back of a wooden spoon until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add the pepper flakes and cook, stirring constantly, for 5 to 10 seconds. Add the broccoli raab and cook, stirring often, until tender and heated through, 3 to 4 minutes. Drizzle with the vinegar and season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to a platter and serve. Serves 6.

Have A Wonderful Christmas Friends,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/30/2011 8:50:15 PM

Hello Everyone,

Today's Friday Fish Night is Savory Salmon, seasoned with salt and pepper, then coated with Dijon mustard, and then wrapped in phyllo dough and baked. This is basically salmon Dijon, but with a twist. Very easy to make and delicious! Goes quite well with fresh steamed veggies and rice.

Wrapped Salmon

Ingredients

• 4 (6 ounce) fillets salmon, with skin and bones removed
  • 8 sheets phyllo dough
  • 1/2 cup melted butter
  • salt to taste
  • ground black pepper to taste
  • 4 tablespoons Dijon mustard

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
  2. Cut the filets into log shaped pieces, about 2 inches wide by 5 inches long, keeping the filet portions separate. Take 2 sheets of phyllo dough, placing one on top of the other, and brush lightly with melted butter, covering the one side completely.
  3. Place a portion of salmon (6 ounces), on the edge, nearest you, of the phyllo dough. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Coat the portion of salmon with 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard.
  4. Fold the phyllo dough, nearest you, over the salmon and make one complete wrap. Take the sides of the dough and fold them towards the center, and continue rolling up the dough. Brush all sides with butter, covering completely and place on a cookie sheet. Repeat steps for remaining portions of salmon.
  5. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until phyllo dough is golden brown. Serves 4.

I was bored one night and thought that coconut lime rice sounded good, so I made my own recipe. I was very much surprised! This wonderful rice will make your toes curl! Toss the cooked rice with diced mango and chopped cilantro.

Coconut Lime Rice

Ingredients

• 2 cups basmati rice
  • 2 tablespoons coconut oil
  • 2 teaspoons butter
  • 1/2 cup flaked coconut
  • 2 cups coconut milk
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • salt, to taste
  • 2 lime, zested and juiced
  • ground black pepper, to taste

Directions

1. Rinse rice until the water runs clear; drain. Heat coconut oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and stir rice and coconut flakes for 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the lime juice, then add the coconut milk, chicken broth, salt and lime zest. Bring to a low boil, then cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and keep covered for 5 minutes. Fluff with fork and season with pepper. Serves 4.

Have A Safe & Happy New Years,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/5/2012 7:41:26 PM

Hello Everyone,

Let's see if we can start off the New Year on a healthier note. It’s winter, and baby, it’s cold outside, so I want something hearty to warm me from inside out. But since I'm also trying to eat better, I don’t want to ruin my diet by diving into a cream-laden casserole.

A lean stew is just the thing we need. Instead of being heavy, it’s hearty and loaded with veggies, lean protein and warm seasonings. First, we start with a pork tenderloin, sear it for maximum flavor, then simmer it in a flavorful broth. Then once the pork is tender, we shred it for a pulled pork effect, and add in those filling and nutritious vegetables.

Sweet potatoes load on the fiber and vitamin A, while the cabbage packs even more fiber, as well as vitamins. By the time you throw in the leeks, onion and celery, you’ve got a super healthy and satisfying stew. To top the whole thing off, you can also add a dollop of calcium-rich yogurt topping, to add just a little touch of tangy creaminess.

German Pork Stew

1 pound pork tenderloin, trimmed of fat
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced
2 leeks, white parts only, sliced
2 teaspoons caraway seeds, crushed
1 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
1/4 teaspoon celery seeds
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
Zest and juice of 1 orange
1 quart low-sodium chicken broth
1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 1/2 cups shredded cabbage
2 stalks celery, diced
Salt, to taste
1/2 cup fat-free plain Greek-style yogurt
2 tablespoons ketchup
2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
Chopped fresh dill, to garnish

Cut the tenderloin into slices 1 inches thick. In a bowl, toss the sliced pork with the olive oil.

Heat a large saucepan over medium-high. Add the pork and brown, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. It does not need to cook through. Add the onion and leek and continue to cook until the vegetables soften and begin to brown, about 5 to 6 minutes.

Add the caraway seeds, fennel seeds, celery seeds, mustard, black pepper, orange zest, orange juice and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to maintain a simmer. Cook until the pork is very tender, 15 to 20 minutes.

When the pork is tender, use a slotted spoon to remove the meat from the liquid. Using 2 forks, shred the pork to bite-size chunks, then return it to the pot. Add the sweet potato, cabbage and celery. Continue to simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes. Season with salt.

In a small bowl, stir together the yogurt, ketchup and relish. Serve the stew topped with a dollop of the yogurt mixture and a sprinkling of fresh dill. Serves 6.

Note: Nutrition information per serving: 180 calories; 25 calories from fat; 3 g fat (1 g saturated; 0 g trans fats); 50 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrate; 20 g protein; 3 g fiber; 280 mg sodium.

Wishing You All A Happy & Healthy New Year,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!