Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
9/8/2011 8:59:30 PM

Hello Friends,

Now a little something for us Vegetarians. This one's healthy, tasty, and fresh. I love this recipe. It takes a bit of chopping, but it's totally worth it. This is a great dish to bring to a summer potluck. It's a delightful salad that doesn't skimp on taste.

Greek Garbanzo Bean Salad

Ingredients

• 3 (15 ounce) cans garbanzo beans, drained
  • 3 cucumbers, halved lengthwise and sliced
  • 18 cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 3/4 red onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1-1/2 (15 ounce) cans black olives, drained and chopped
  • 1-1/2 ounces crumbled feta cheese
  • 3/4 cup Italian-style salad dressing
  • 3/4 lemon, juiced
  • 3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

Directions

1. Combine the beans, cucumbers, tomatoes, red onion, garlic, olives, cheese, salad dressing, lemon juice, garlic salt and pepper. Toss together and refrigerate 2 hours before serving. Serve chilled. Serves 12.

Have A Great Day My Friends,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/9/2011 11:14:41 PM
Hi Everyone,

For this Friday fish night we're going with an old standby, Salmon. This is perfect for summer grilling, especially if you want something different than the same old same old.

Grilled Salmon Fillets with a Lemon, Tarragon, and Garlic Sauce

Ingredients

• 6 (4 ounce) fillets salmon
  • salt and ground black pepper to taste
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 3/4 cup mayonnaise
  • 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 6 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon and 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon and 1-1/2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

Directions

1. Prepare a grill for high heat.
  2. Season the salmon fillets with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil.
  3. Whisk together the mayonnaise, mustard, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, tarragon, salt and pepper; set aside.
  4. Lightly oil the grill grate. Cook the salmon on the grill until the fish flakes easily with a fork, 5 to 10 minutes. Place on a serving plate and top with the prepared sauce. Serves 6.

For our Veggie Side Dish, this colorful combination includes so many different vegetables that there's something to please everyone.

Harvest Vegetables

Ingredients

• 1 small head cabbage, cored
  • 2 tablespoons butter, softened
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion salt (optional)
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper
  • 4 medium carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces
  • 2 celery ribs, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1 small onion, cut into wedges
  • 1/2 pound whole fresh mushrooms
  • 1 small green bell pepper, cut into pieces
  • 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled

Directions

1. Cut cabbage into six wedges; spread butter on cut sides. Place cabbage on a piece of heavy-duty foil (about 24 in. x 18 in.). Sprinkle with onion salt if desired and pepper. Arrange remaining vegetables and bacon if desired around cabbage. Seal the foil tightly.
  2. Grill, covered, over medium-hot heat for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender, turning occasionally.
Finally, we'll finish off the menu with some Rice, but with a twist. This is an easy recipe to make and it's very flavorful and spicy and it has just about everything in it but the kitchen sink.

Dirty Rice

Ingredients

• 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1 green bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 2 teaspoons annatto or achiote powder (optional)
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 1/3 cups uncooked white rice
  • 2 3/4 cups water
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3 roma (plum) tomatoes, chopped
  • 1 1/3 cups whole corn kernels, blanched
  • 1 cup black beans, cooked and drained
  • 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
  • freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 red onion, thinly sliced
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1 lime, cut into wedges
  • 2 teaspoons annatto powder

Directions

1. In a heavy saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and the chopped onions; saute for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Mix in the bell pepper, chili powder, ground annatto, chili flakes, cumin, and cinnamon. Saute for 2 minutes.
  2. Pour the rice into the saucepan and stir to coat. Add the water and 1 teaspoon salt, and bring the rice to a boil over high heat. Cover the pan and turn the heat to low. Simmer the rice for 25 minutes.
  3. When the rice is cooked, mix in tomatoes, corn, black beans, and pine nuts. Stir in salt, pepper and lime juice. When the mixture is heated through, spoon it onto plates and top with the sliced red onion and cilantro. Serve a wedge or two of lime with each plate to squeeze over the rice. Serves 6.

Have A Great Weekend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/9/2011 11:28:57 PM
Hello Friends,

Here's some grilling for us Vegetarians as well. Southwestern flavors star in this potluck-perfect salad. I added a pablano pepper for extra heat and reduced the amount of juice since I prefer a more smokey taste and less citrus-y flavor. I can't wait to eat the leftovers today. Oh, and there's a sweet treat at the end since we've ben eating so healthy.

Grilled Corn Salad with Black Beans & Rice

Ingredients

• 2/3 cup short-grain brown rice
  • 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
  • 3 large ears corn, husked
  • 2 medium red onions, cut into 3/8-inch-thick slices
  • 1 green bell pepper, cored and quartered lengthwise
  • 1 small ripe avocado
  • 1/2 cup hot tomato salsa, preferably chipotle
  • 1/2 cup orange juice
  • 1/3 cup lime juice
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1 tablespoon canola oil
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
  • Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
  • Baked tortilla chips, (optional)

Preparation

1. Cook rice in a large pot of boiling salted water, until al dente, 25 to 30 minutes. Drain and rinse. Place in a large bowl, toss with beans and set aside.
  2. Meanwhile, preheat grill.
  3. Oil the grill rack. Grill corn, onions and bell pepper, turning frequently, until tender and charred, 10 to 12 minutes.
  4. Cut kernels from cobs and add to reserved rice and beans. Dice the bell pepper and half the onions; add to the rice mixture. Place the remaining onions in a mixing bowl. Peel and dice avocado; add half to rice mixture and half to the bowl with sliced onions.
  5. Whisk salsa, orange juice, lime juice, cilantro, oil and cumin in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Toss 3 tablespoons of the salsa mixture with sliced onions and avocado. Toss the rest with rice mixture.
  6. Spoon rice mixture onto a serving dish and top with onion-avocado mixture. Serve with chips, if desired. Serves 4.

For just 2 Points +, indulge in a decadent treat with this low fat Cheesecake Brownie Bars Recipe. The perfect low calorie snack or dessert for any Weight Watcher, this easy recipe is the perfect solution for your sweet tooth.

Low Calorie Cheesecake Brownies

Ingredients

Brownie:

• 2/3 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup liquid egg substitute
  • 2 large egg whites
  • 1 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup plain, unsweetened applesauce
  • 1/4 cup strong coffee
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract

Cream Cheese Topping:

• 4 oz reduced-fat cream cheese
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup liquid egg substitute
  • 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
  • 1 tbsp nonfat plain Greek yogurt
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
  2. Coat a 7-by-11-inch brownie pan or baking pan with cooking spray.
  3. To make cream cheese topping: Place cream cheese in a small mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Add sugar and beat until smooth. Add egg, flour, yogurt and vanilla; beat until well blended.
  4. To prepare brownie: Whisk whole-wheat flour, cocoa and salt in a bowl. Place egg, egg whites and brown sugar in a large bowl and beat with the electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Add applesauce, coffee and vanilla; beat until well blended. Add the dry ingredients and beat on low speed just until well blended, stopping once to scrape down the sides.
  5. Scrape about half of the brownie batter into the prepared pan. Slowly pour the topping evenly on top. Drop the remaining brownie batter in large dollops over the topping. Draw the tip of a sharp knife or skewer through the two batters to create a swirled effect.
  6. Bake the brownies until the top is just firm to the touch, about 20 minutes. Let cool completely in the pan on a wire rack. Cut into 24 bars.

Have A Great Weekend,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/10/2011 7:48:56 PM
Hello Friends,

This is among the tastiest and speediest recipes in my collection and it's one of my family's favorite one-pot dishes.

Mexican-Style Goulash

Ingredients

• 1-1/4 pounds lean ground beef
  • 1 cup and 3 tablespoons chopped onion
  • 1-1/4 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 1-1/4 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
  • 1 cup and 3 tablespoons fresh or frozen corn
  • 1/2 cup and 1 tablespoon and 2 teaspoons water
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
  • 1-1/4 teaspoons dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup and 2 teaspoons uncooked elbow macaroni
  • 3/4 cup and 2 teaspoons shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese

Directions

1. In a large nonstick skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, corn, water, chili powder, oregano and salt. Bring to a boil. Add macaroni. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until macaroni is tender. Sprinkle with cheese; cover and cook 2-3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Serves 6.

Have A Good Weekend,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/10/2011 7:52:31 PM
Hello My Friends,

For a quick and satisfying last-minute supper for us Vegetarians, it's hard to beat a sweet potato zapped in the microwave. The fragrant filling of beans and tomato adds protein, making it a nutritionally complete entree. Be sure to eat the potato skin; it's full of fiber.

Black Bean-Smothered Sweet Potatoes

Ingredients

• 2 medium sweet potatoes
  • 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
  • 1 medium tomato, diced
  • 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

Preparation

1. Prick sweet potatoes with a fork in several places. Microwave on High until tender all the way to the center, 12 to 15 minutes. (Alternatively, place in a baking dish and bake at 425ºF until tender all the way to the center, about 1 hour.)
  2. Meanwhile, combine beans, tomato, oil, cumin, coriander and salt in a medium microwave-safe bowl; microwave on High until just heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. (Alternatively, heat in a small saucepan over medium heat.)
  3. When just cool enough to handle, slash each sweet potato lengthwise, press open to make a well in the center and spoon the bean mixture into the well. Top each with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of cilantro. Serves 2.

Have A Wonderful Weekend,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!