Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
9/1/2011 11:07:11 PM

Hi Mary Evelyn,

Glad to help out and thanks for allowing us to share in those Sweet Memories. My Dad's been in Heaven since '94 and it sometimes seems like only yesterday. Memories are such a Comfort. They are God's way of keeping us company 'till we all meet again up in Heaven. Praise the Lord! I Can Only Imagine what it will be like.

If this is not the right recipe, I still might have it available. I just counted up roughly and I have something over 200+ Cabbage recipes, everything from Cabbage Rolls and Cabbage Soup to my personal favorite, Corn Beef & Cabbage. I even have several Kim Chee, or Korean Pickled Cabbage, recipes.

Be sure and let me know what you think of the Bacon. I have made it ahead and froze it and it seems to work out just fine.

By the way...

He said that it was somewhere around September 15th, so I let him go Free, so that I would have time to get ready to Celebrate!

Have A Wonderful Evening My Friend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Amanda Martin-Shaver

2587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/1/2011 11:13:37 PM
Hi Phil
I have not posted over here in a little while but have looked over recipes from time to time.

I had to smile at your description of the 'fried sandwich'.. I hear them mostly called 'grilled cheese sandwich' in the States while in New Zealand they are called 'toasted sandwiches'

The preparation is the same - that you butter both pieces of bread and lay the filling for your sandwich on the unbuttered side cause you are going to lay the buttered side on a frypan - I often use an electric skillet because I am making 3 or 4 at a time when James is home.

The difference that I like about NZ toasted sandwiches is we put just about anything in ours - like left-overs cold potato, cold cuts of meat ..beef, pork, etc or you can have the various fillings you would put in an ordinary sandwich - leaving out the lettuce!.

There are many fillings one can select from at a cafe or Takeout - Burgers,
Fish and chips are not the only thing on the menus we have quite a different list which I never see in the States.

I mostly prepare ham or cooked bacon, pineapple and cheese as this is my favourite

Amanda
+0
9/1/2011 11:22:08 PM

Oh how sweet Phil. :) Yes my birthday is coming up on the 15th. They seem to come around much too fast anymore but then you know the saying about the more birthdays we have the longer we live or something like that. :)

I probably won't get a chance to go grocery shopping until this weekend since I just went yesterday and loaded up on things I needed but then when you think about it, the weekend is just a day away.

Phil I miss my parents very much but I know they're in a better place. They both suffered, my dad with Parkinson's and my mom with cancer so even though I miss them it was a relief also to see them relieved of their pain. Thanks for the link for the beautiful song and you have a wonderful weekend.

Again thanks for the recipe. It sounds as though from the ingredients it is the one.

Quote:

Hi Mary Evelyn,

Glad to help out and thanks for allowing us to share in those Sweet Memories. My Dad's been in Heaven since '94 and it sometimes seems like only yesterday. Memories are such a Comfort. They are God's way of keeping us company 'till we all meet again up in Heaven. Praise the Lord! I Can Only Imagine what it will be like.

If this is not the right recipe, I still might have it available. I just counted up roughly and I have something over 200+ Cabbage recipes, everything from Cabbage Rolls and Cabbage Soup to my personal favorite, Corn Beef & Cabbage. I even have several Kim Chee, or Korean Pickled Cabbage, recipes.

Be sure and let me know what you think of the Bacon. I have made it ahead and froze it and it seems to work out just fine.

By the way...

He said that it was somewhere around September 15th, so I let him go Free, so that I would have time to get ready to Celebrate!

Have A Wonderful Evening My Friend,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/2/2011 10:06:49 PM

Hello My Friends,

No, Amanda, I'll still stick with my original wording. A Toasted Cheese Sandwich is made either in a Toaster Oven or on a Sandwich Grill Press like they used to have at the Snack Bars that were located in many Drugstores like McLarty's in High Point, NC, or at the old Denton Drug down in Denton, NC. I can still remember stopping by Denton Drug back in 1979 and having a Grilled Homemade Egg Salad Sandwich and an fresh made Orange Aide to drink, while I was waiting to pick up my new Mustang over at the old Hill Brother's Ford place that used to be Downtown.

A Grilled Cheese is just like what I make these days on my Electric Skillet and as you say, you butter the outside of the bread and lay the sandwich, butter side down on the skillet to grill it. Whenever you first add the Butter to your Bread and then lay it in down in the melted Crisco in a Cast Iron Fry Pan an fry it on both sides, it adds a whole new definition to how the sandwich tastes and that's why I called them Fried Cheese Sandwiches, 'cause they were fried and not grilled. I try to eat much healthier now and I can't remember the last time I fried a sandwich in Crisco, but they sure were good back then.

Mary Evelyn, I understand exactly what you mean about our Parents not suffering any longer. My Dad's Cancer had invaded just about every organ in his body and was even starting to get into his bones. Mother on the other hand had gone steadily down hill over the years ever since her late 50's when she was diagnosed with Diabetes. She died in 1989 from complications from a Stroke, but right before she went into the Hospital that last time, she had gotten up to taking 14 different pills every day and two shots, or 105 units, of Insulin each and every day.

Every night when I talk to the Lord, I thank Him for taking them Home to be with Him in Glory and for stopping their pain and suffering. I'm also glad that you liked the song my Friend. It's one of my favorites and I was blessed to be able to sing it at the Funeral of my wonderful Cousin, after she died last year from Cancer. It always reminds me that of all my Loved Ones who are walking the Golden Streets of Heaven right now, free from pain, and with smiles on their faces, ready to greet me one of these days when He decides to take me Home as well. Thank You Jesus.

Have A Blessed Weekend My Friends,

Phil

P.S. Speaking of Blessings, here's an Irish Blessing for you both.

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/2/2011 10:28:21 PM
Hello My Friends,

Here's a little something simple for this Friday Fish night. My Sister doesn't like anything fishy, but I snuck this one by her and she has loved them ever since. I serve them as snacks, for sandwiches, or as dinner with rice and a veggie on the side.

Potato Salmon Patties

Ingredients

• 1 (14.75 ounce) can salmon, drained and flaked
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1/4 cup garlic and herb seasoned dry bread crumbs
  • 1/4 cup dry potato flakes
  • 1 medium onion, minced
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried dill weed
  • 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil

Directions

1. In a medium bowl, mix salmon, eggs, garlic and herb seasoned dry bread crumbs, dry potato flakes, onion, garlic, dill weed, celery salt, salt, and pepper. Form the mixture into 2 inch balls, and flatten into patties about 1/2 inch thick.
  2. Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. In batches, cook patties about 5 minutes on each side, until lightly browned. Serves 6.
The combination of flavors is what makes this dish a hit.

Green Beans with Caramelized Onions

Ingredients

• 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon white sugar
  • 1 (16 ounce) package frozen pearl onions
  • 1 (16 ounce) package frozen cut green beans, thawed
  • 1 tablespoon fresh dill weed
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

Directions

1. Heat the oil and sugar in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions; cook and stir until tender and golden brown, about 10 minutes.
  2. Mix the green beans with the onions, and cook for about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and season with dill, salt and pepper. Serves 6-8.

This is a delicious twist to traditional rice.

Rice Pilaf

Ingredients

• 3 tablespoons butter
  • 3/4 cup orzo pasta
  • 3/4 cup diced onion
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3/4 cup uncooked white rice
  • 3 cups chicken broth

Directions

1. Melt the butter in a lidded skillet over medium-low heat. Cook and stir orzo pasta until golden brown. Stir in onion and cook until onion becomes translucent, then add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Mix in the rice and chicken broth. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the rice is tender, and the liquid has been absorbed, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork. Serves 6.

Have A Wonderful Weekend,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!