Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
RE: Papas Kitchen
8/30/2011 2:37:02 PM

Thanks for the good recipes Phil. Chicken is one of my favorite meats, I am not too fond of beef. Those sound like very good meals. I like the vegetable one though, bet it turned out good.

My Son Stanley's Birthday!!

Sara

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/30/2011 3:14:51 PM

Hello Sara,

Yes, the Vegetables were delicious. As far as meats, as you know by now, I don't eat Red Meat at all, if I can avoid doing so, so I eat a lot of Chicken and of course Fish. I do like my Italian food however, and Hoagies have always been a weakness of mine. So as you can imagine, this low calorie, Vegetarian version of my favorite traditional Italian Hoagie recipe brings back many of the flavors I've always adored, but thanks to Weight Watchers, with a lot less fat and calories. So if you are feeling the need for a savory Italian Hoagie, this low fat vegetarian sandwich recipe is a must try.

Vegetarian Italian Hoagie

Ingredients

• 1 16- to 20-inch-long baguette (I used a whole grain one for more fiber)
  • 2 slices reduced fat provolone cheese, cut into halves
  • 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion, separated into rings
  • 1 14-oz can artichoke hearts, rinsed and coarsely chopped
  • 2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
  • 1/4 cup sliced pepperoncini
  • ¼ cup black olives
  • 1 medium tomato, seeded and diced
  • 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
  • 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • Dash of salt and pepper

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Combine artichoke hearts, olives, tomato, vinegar, oil, oregano and salt & pepper in a small bowl.
  3. Cut baguette into 4 equal lengths. Split each piece horizontally and pull out about half of the soft bread from each side.
  4. To assemble sandwiches, divide provolone among the bottom pieces of baguette. Spread on the artichoke mixture and top with the onion, lettuce and pepperoncini, if using.
  5. Cover with the baguette tops.
  6. Place in oven and toast until bread is browned and cheese has melted, about 8-10 minutes. Serves 4.

Have A Wonderful Week,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/31/2011 4:45:49 AM
Hi Phil,
Hoagie sound wonderful.
LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/31/2011 2:36:19 PM

Hi Myrna,

Glad you liked the Hoagie recipe. Today we're doing something a little different. No, don't check your Calendars, it's only Wednesday, not Friday, and we're having Seafood.

Thanks to Weight Watchers meal plans, here's a healthy and low calorie casserole that tastes great and has just 7 Points + for a nicely sized serving. This Shrimp Enchilada Casserole is a great idea for a quick, low fat dinner in a pinch. It tastes fantastic and is loaded with good for you ingredients too. It doesn't take too long to throw together either , which makes it a great choice when you need a quick and easy weeknight dinner idea.

Shrimp Enchilada Casserole

Ingredients

• 1 lb peeled cooked shrimp, tails removed, diced
  • 12 corn tortillas
  • 2 4-ounce cans chopped green chiles, (not drained)
  • 2 cups canned green enchilada sauce
  • 1 cup red onion, diced
  • 1 cup fresh tomatoes, seeded and diced
  • 1 cup zucchini, diced
  • 1 15-ounce can black beans
  • 1 cup reduced-fat Mexican-style cheese blend, shredded
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Directions

Preheat oven to 425°F.

1. Spray a 9-by-13-inch glass baking dish with non-fat cooking spray.
  2. Combine shrimp, zucchini, tomatoes, chiles, onions, and 1/2 cup enchilada sauce in a microwave-safe medium bowl. Cover and microwave on High until heated through, about 2 1/2 minutes.
  3. Spread 1/4 cup enchilada sauce in the prepared baking dish. Top with a layer of 6 overlapping tortillas. Spread black beans evenly over the tortillas.
  4. Top the beans with the shrimp mixture, followed by the remaining 6 tortillas. Pour the remaining sauce over the tortillas. Cover with foil.
  5. Bake the casserole until it begins to bubble on the sides, about 20 minutes.
  6. Remove the foil; sprinkle cheese on top. Continue baking until heated through and the cheese is melted, about 5 minutes more.
  7. Top with cilantro, cut into 6 equally sized portions, and serve. Serves 6.

Have A Happy Wednesday,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/31/2011 2:44:31 PM
Hi Everyone,

For a true Vegetarian's delight, I love the flavors and variety in this pasta. The sauce is made from the feta melting down around the hot noodles, the artichoke marinade and lemon juice. Delicious!

Greek Pasta Toss

Ingredients:

1/2 pound whole wheat penne pasta, uncooked
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 large red onion, chopped
1 zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch rounds and quartered
1 yellow squash, cut into 1/4-inch rounds and quartered
1 14-ounce can marinated artichoke hearts (you can chop these if you want - I leave mine as is, because I don't really care for them - just easier for me to pick out :)
1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
1/2 cup green and/or black olives, sliced
1/2 cup crumbled feta
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

1. Cook pasta according to package directions in salted water.
2. While pasta is cooking, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
3. Saute onions and minced garlic until the onions begin to turn translucent. Then, add in the zucchini and yellow squash and cook until tender.
4. When the pasta is done, drain well, then return to pot over medium-low heat. Add in sauteed vegetables, and all of the remaining ingredients. Season to taste. Heat until the feta has melted and all of the ingredients are heated though. Garnish with lemon.

Happy Wednesday My Friends,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!