Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
9/1/2011 1:57:08 PM
Hello Everyone,

Today we're going to combine two meals and save some time. We have a Meaty version and a Veggie version of these Dinner Pies, along with some stewed Cabbage as a side for either one.

First, the whole family will enjoy this savory pie. It's loaded with chicken and cheese, and it’s a great way to serve broccoli.

Impossibly Easy Chicken 'n Broccoli Pie

Ingredients

package (10 ounces) frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained
1 1/2
cups shredded Cheddar cheese (6 ounces)
cup cut-up cooked chicken
medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
1/2
cup Original Bisquick® mix
cup milk
1/2
teaspoon salt
1/4
teaspoon pepper
eggs
Directions
  1. Heat oven to 400ºF. Grease 9-inch pie plate. Sprinkle broccoli, 1 cup of the cheese, the chicken and onion in pie plate.
  2. Stir Bisquick mix, milk, salt, pepper and eggs until blended. Pour into pie plate.
  3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 1 to 2 minutes longer or just until cheese is melted. Cool 5 minutes. Serves 6

Next, here's my Vegetarian meal, a flavorful mix of zucchini, tomatoes and cheese baked in a pie.

Impossibly Easy Zucchini Pie

Ingredients

cup chopped zucchini
cup chopped tomato
1/2
cup chopped onion
1/3
cup grated Parmesan cheese
2/3
cup Bisquick Heart Smart® mix
3/4
cup fat-free (skim) milk
eggs or 1/2 cup fat-free cholesterol-free egg product
1/2
teaspoon salt
1/4
teaspoon pepper
Directions
  1. Heat oven to 400°F. Lightly grease bottom and side of pie plate, 9x1 1/4 inches.
  2. Sprinkle zucchini, tomato, onion and cheese evenly in pie plate.
  3. Stir together remaining ingredients with fork until blended. Pour evenly into pie plate.
  4. Bake about 35 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool at least 10 minutes. Serves 6.

And finally, for our side dish, this is a family favorite that my mother used to fix for me. Serve over white rice, if desired.

Stewed Cabbage

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup butter
  • 4 onions, chopped
  • 2 stalks celery, chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 2 medium heads cabbage, cut into squares
  • 2 (14.5 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes, with liquid
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions

1. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, celery, and garlic and saute for 3 to 5 minutes, or until translucent. Stir in cabbage, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 15 minutes.
  2. Pour in tomatoes and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover pan and cook over medium heat for 30 to 40 minutes, or until cabbage is tender. Serves 8.

Have A Terrific Thursday,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/1/2011 4:58:06 PM
Hi Phil,

That stewed cabbage reminded of the fried cabbage I had once at a friends home many years ago. She fried the cabbage in oil, added caraway seeds, served over the wide flat noodles, I guess they are called egg noodles. It was so good. I have tried to make it a few times but it never tasted like hers. I lost contact with her not long after that.
I was wondering if you have ever heard of this dish and tell me what I missed, or a good recipe.

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/1/2011 5:59:05 PM

Hi Myrna,

Still looking for that Cabbage with Noodles, but now you're talking 'bout the way my Granny used to fix Cabbage, or just about anything else that she cooked. She fried just about everything. Even my "Grilled" Cheese Sandwiches were fried. She would Butter both pieces of Bread, slap a slab of Velvetta Cheese and some Mayonaise in between, melt some Crisco in an old cast iron skillet and then fry me a couple of Cheese Sandwiches. I can still feel my arteries hardening just thinking about it, but I defy anyone to find a better tasting sandwich on the face of God's green earth.

In my last post, I was trying to have some Cabbage that both Meat eaters and Vegetarians could eat, so I stewed it. Generally speaking, I eat my Cabbage fried up with Bacon and Onions. This dish was always a favorite at my Granny's house. Of course, Granny always had some Fried Cornbread to go with it.

Southern Fried Cabbage

Ingredients

• 4 slices bacon, cut into thirds
  • 1/4 cup and 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
  • 1-1/2 heads cabbage, cored and sliced
  • 1-1/2 white onion, chopped
  • A pinch of white sugar

Directions

1. Place the bacon and vegetable oil into a large pot over medium heat. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until bacon is crisp. Add cabbage, onion, and sugar to the pot; cook and stir continuously for 5 minutes, until tender. Serves 8.

This is the real stuff. Find your cast iron skillet and whip up a batch of cornbread tonight.

Real Southern Cornbread

Ingredients

• 2 cups cornmeal
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons baking powder
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup margarine, melted
  • 4 cups buttermilk
  • 1/4 cup corn oil

Directions

1. In a large bowl mix together the corn meal, flour, salt, and baking powder.
  2. In a separate bowl mix together the eggs, butter, and buttermilk. Add to the dry ingredients and stir until well blended.
  3. Heat a dry 12 inch cast iron skillet over high heat for 2 minutes. Add corn oil to skillet, swirl oil around to coat bottom and sides. Leave remaining oil in pan. Return to high heat for 1 minute.
  4. Pour the cornbread batter into the skillet and cook on high heat until bubbles start to form in the center. Remove from stove.
  5. Bake in a preheated 400 degree F (200 degree C) oven for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Serve warm. Cut into 12 pieces.

Have A Happy Week,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/1/2011 9:09:49 PM

Hello Again Myrna,

According to some Polish friends of mine, what your Friend used to fix for you was probably Haluski, a dish of fried noodles and sweet cabbage, of Polish and Slovakian origin, and which it seems is a favorite around the Pittsburgh, PA area.

Haluski (Pan-Fried Cabbage and Noodles)

Ingredients

• 4 cups wide egg noodles
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 2 cups sliced sweet onions, about 1/8 inch thick
  • 2 teaspoons brown sugar
  • 6 cups cabbage, sliced thin
  • 1 teaspoon caraway seed (optional)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • pepper

Directions

• Cook egg noodles according to package directions, then drizzle with a bit of oil to prevent the noodles from sticking together and set aside.
  • While noodles are cooking, melt butter in large deep skillet over medium-low heat.
  • Add onion, sprinkle with brown sugar and saute, stirring occasionally for about 5 to 10 minutes, or until softened and just beginning to turn golden.
  • Add cabbage to skillet, stirring well to incorporate with onion, and saute for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  • Stir in caraway seeds if using, then cover, reduce heat to low, and let simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
  • Turn heat back to medium, add cooked noodles, salt and pepper, and stir well until noodles are heated though.
  • Adjust seasoning if necessary and serve hot. Serves 4.
  • Have A Great Evening My Friend,

Phil

+0
    9/1/2011 10:25:12 PM

Bless you Phil for this recipe and Myrna thank you too for bringing this to Phil's attention! Sometime in '04 my father was a patient in one of the Knoxville hospitals before he died in November of that year and this sounds exactly like something I ate in the hospital cafeteria there. When I asked one cafeteria workers what was in it, she told me she had no idea as all the food was prepared in a central location for both hospitals they had and then brought in. Isn't it strange how something as simple as a food dish can leave such an impression? Every now and then I remember eating it and how scrumptious it was and now I believe this is the recipe or at least similiar enough that I can now go buy the ingredients and satisfy my longing for such a delicious dish. I know there were caraway seeds and cabbage and noodles but I could never identify the other ingredients. I will let you both know how it turns out after I cook it. And Phil, yesterday I bought a pound of bacon and this weekend I am going to try your recipe for cooking it in the oven. I have decided that I can put it in a freezer bag and store in the freezer for those times I get a craving for a BLT or bacon and eggs. Again thanks. :)

Quote:

Hello Again Myrna,

According to some Polish friends of mine, what your Friend used to fix for you was probably Haluski, a dish of fried noodles and sweet cabbage, of Polish and Slovakian origin, and which it seems is a favorite around the Pittsburgh, PA area.

Haluski (Pan-Fried Cabbage and Noodles)

Ingredients

• 4 cups wide egg noodles
    • 1/2 cup butter
    • 2 cups sliced sweet onions, about 1/8 inch thick
    • 2 teaspoons brown sugar
    • 6 cups cabbage, sliced thin
    • 1 teaspoon caraway seed (optional)
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • pepper

Directions

• Cook egg noodles according to package directions, then drizzle with a bit of oil to prevent the noodles from sticking together and set aside.
  • While noodles are cooking, melt butter in large deep skillet over medium-low heat.
  • Add onion, sprinkle with brown sugar and saute, stirring occasionally for about 5 to 10 minutes, or until softened and just beginning to turn golden.
  • Add cabbage to skillet, stirring well to incorporate with onion, and saute for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  • Stir in caraway seeds if using, then cover, reduce heat to low, and let simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
  • Turn heat back to medium, add cooked noodles, salt and pepper, and stir well until noodles are heated though.
  • Adjust seasoning if necessary and serve hot. Serves 4.
  • Have A Great Evening My Friend,

Phil

+0

facebook
    Like us on Facebook!