Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
9/6/2011 12:45:15 AM

Hello Friends,

Yes Sara, I'll have to join with you in thanking Mary Evelyn for the Cornbread recipe. I also made some Green Tomato Cornbread, but I had mine with my Baked Beans from the Crockpot and some fresh Fried Green Tomatoes. Deeeee-licious!

Here's a couple more Grilling Recipes that I thought you all might enjoy. A little late for Labor Day, but there's always this Weekend! Today we've got something for all of the Meat Eaters and a little something for us Veggie People as well. And finally, because evryone's been so doggone good this week, there's some Peaches & Cream for dessert.

First of all, honey, soy sauce, pepper, and garlic make a terrific marinade and basting sauce for these chicken chunks grilled on skewers with your favorite vegetables. You can marinate overnight and make these kabobs for an outdoor barbecue as a tasty alternative to the usual barbecue fare. Fresh mushrooms and cherry tomatoes can also be used, and in case of rain, this can also be done in the broiler.

Honey Chicken Kabobs

Ingredients

• 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 1/3 cup soy sauce
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 8 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into 1 inch cubes
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 5 small onions, cut into 2 inch pieces
  • 2 red bell peppers, cut into 2 inch pieces
  • skewers

Directions

1. In a large bowl, whisk together oil, honey, soy sauce, and pepper. Before adding chicken, reserve a small amount of marinade to brush onto kabobs while cooking. Place the chicken, garlic, onions and peppers in the bowl, and marinate in the refrigerator at least 2 hours (the longer the better).
  2. Preheat the grill for high heat.
  3. Drain marinade from the chicken and vegetables, and discard marinade. Thread chicken and vegetables alternately onto the skewers.
  4. Lightly oil the grill grate. Place the skewers on the grill. Cook for 12 to 15 minutes, until chicken juices run clear. Turn and brush with reserved marinade frequently. Makes a total of 12 Skewers.

Next, for us Veggie Livers, these mushrooms are dressed up with red and green peppers and brushed with olive oil and lemon juice that's infused with rosemary, thyme, and garlic. This is a wonderful kabob for fall grilling, when all the mushrooms are fruiting. With more types of mushrooms available in the grocery store, you can now make these year round using an assortment of button, portabello, ****aake, and crimini mushrooms.

Mushroom Kabobs

Ingredients

• 2-1/4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
  • 6 red bell peppers, chopped
  • 3 green bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
  • 3/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

Directions

1. Preheat grill for medium heat.
  2. Thread mushrooms and peppers alternately on skewers.
  3. In a small bowl, mix together olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, thyme, rosemary, and salt and pepper. Brush mushrooms and peppers with this flavored oil.
  4. Brush grate with oil, and place kabobs on the grill. Baste frequently with oil mixture. Cook for about 4 to 6 minutes, or until mushrooms are tender and thoroughly cooked. Makes 12 Skewers.

Finally, as promised, here's an easy grilled peach dessert. I use a honey nut flavored cream cheese spread and it's wonderful! Drizzle a little extra honey after they're grilled and they're perfect.

Grilled Peaches and Cream

Ingredients

• 4 peaches, halved and pitted
  • 2 tablespoons clover honey
  • 1 cup soft cream cheese with honey and nuts
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil

Directions

1. Preheat a grill for medium-high heat.
  2. Brush peaches with a light coating of oil. Place pit side down onto the grill. Grill for 5 minutes, or until the surfaces have nice grill marks. Turn the peaches over, and drizzle with a bit of honey. Place a dollop of the cream cheese spread in the place where the pit was. Grill for 2 to 3 more minutes, or until the filling is warm. Serve immediately. Serves 8.

Have A Terrific Week My Friends,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
9/6/2011 1:59:03 AM

Phil I plan on having the Green Tomato Cornbread with your fried cabbage and noodles recipe you posted but I am going to leave out the noodles because I think the cabbage would be fine without the noodles and now here you go and post a recipe for Grilled Peaches and Cream. LOL. Looks like another good one to try and I love the honey nut flavored cream cheese spread. I use it on bagels occasionally. I still haven't gotten to the grocery store yet because of the holiday and then last night and today we have had torrential rains from the remmants of the tropical storm Lee and I was afraid I might melt if I went out in it. :) Just kidding of course, but we have been under a flood warning and still are and a lot of the low lying areas are flooded so I decided my grocery shopping could wait, especially since it is still raining. The system has also been spawning tornados and there was one in the adjoining county where I used to live before I moved here to Oak Ridge. I really do need to start cooking more because I am getting out of practice and am not the cook I was at one time. Being the oldest of seven and having to help cook for everyone and then cooking for my family of five I was always used to cooking large amounts and now it is so hard to try to cook in small amounts so I eat out a lot which is not good. We never know what is hidden in the food and at least when you cook it yourself you know what goes in it. I really have no excuse for not cooking more, I have tons of cookbooks plus a big file of recipes people have shared with me over the years and I can always freeze the left overs. I'm really looking forward to the fried cabbage and again thanks for the recipe.

Quote:

Hello Friends,

Yes Sara, I'll have to join with you in thanking Mary Evelyn for the Cornbread recipe. I also made some Green Tomato Cornbread, but I had mine with my Baked Beans from the Crockpot and some fresh Fried Green Tomatoes. Deeeee-licious!

Here's a couple more Grilling Recipes that I thought you all might enjoy. A little late for Labor Day, but there's always this Weekend! Today we've got something for all of the Meat Eaters and a little something for us Veggie People as well. And finally, because evryone's been so doggone good this week, there's some Peaches & Cream for dessert.

First of all, honey, soy sauce, pepper, and garlic make a terrific marinade and basting sauce for these chicken chunks grilled on skewers with your favorite vegetables. You can marinate overnight and make these kabobs for an outdoor barbecue as a tasty alternative to the usual barbecue fare. Fresh mushrooms and cherry tomatoes can also be used, and in case of rain, this can also be done in the broiler.

Honey Chicken Kabobs

Ingredients

• 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 1/3 cup soy sauce
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 8 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into 1 inch cubes
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 5 small onions, cut into 2 inch pieces
  • 2 red bell peppers, cut into 2 inch pieces
  • skewers

Directions

1. In a large bowl, whisk together oil, honey, soy sauce, and pepper. Before adding chicken, reserve a small amount of marinade to brush onto kabobs while cooking. Place the chicken, garlic, onions and peppers in the bowl, and marinate in the refrigerator at least 2 hours (the longer the better).
  2. Preheat the grill for high heat.
  3. Drain marinade from the chicken and vegetables, and discard marinade. Thread chicken and vegetables alternately onto the skewers.
  4. Lightly oil the grill grate. Place the skewers on the grill. Cook for 12 to 15 minutes, until chicken juices run clear. Turn and brush with reserved marinade frequently. Makes a total of 12 Skewers.

Next, for us Veggie Livers, these mushrooms are dressed up with red and green peppers and brushed with olive oil and lemon juice that's infused with rosemary, thyme, and garlic. This is a wonderful kabob for fall grilling, when all the mushrooms are fruiting. With more types of mushrooms available in the grocery store, you can now make these year round using an assortment of button, portabello, ****aake, and crimini mushrooms.

Mushroom Kabobs

Ingredients

• 2-1/4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
  • 6 red bell peppers, chopped
  • 3 green bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
  • 3/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

Directions

1. Preheat grill for medium heat.
  2. Thread mushrooms and peppers alternately on skewers.
  3. In a small bowl, mix together olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, thyme, rosemary, and salt and pepper. Brush mushrooms and peppers with this flavored oil.
  4. Brush grate with oil, and place kabobs on the grill. Baste frequently with oil mixture. Cook for about 4 to 6 minutes, or until mushrooms are tender and thoroughly cooked. Makes 12 Skewers.

Finally, as promised, here's an easy grilled peach dessert. I use a honey nut flavored cream cheese spread and it's wonderful! Drizzle a little extra honey after they're grilled and they're perfect.

Grilled Peaches and Cream

Ingredients

• 4 peaches, halved and pitted
  • 2 tablespoons clover honey
  • 1 cup soft cream cheese with honey and nuts
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil

Directions

1. Preheat a grill for medium-high heat.
  2. Brush peaches with a light coating of oil. Place pit side down onto the grill. Grill for 5 minutes, or until the surfaces have nice grill marks. Turn the peaches over, and drizzle with a bit of honey. Place a dollop of the cream cheese spread in the place where the pit was. Grill for 2 to 3 more minutes, or until the filling is warm. Serve immediately. Serves 8.

Have A Terrific Week My Friends,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/7/2011 3:21:13 AM

Hi Mary Evelyn,

I think that the Fried Cabbage is just as good without the Noodles, but I found that recipe since that was what Myrna had remembered. I've tried it both ways and like either way, but Momma never cooked it with Noodles and we did just fine. That rain from Lee has now moved on over the Mountains and into the Piedmont of NC, so it's been raining all day today. We're really blessed living here in the Piedmont, because usually the Snow & Weather from the West is diluted by those Mountains, and also we're far enough inland that most of the Weather from the Coast such as the Hurricanes doesn't get up this far.

Speaking of melting in the rain, I don't think that you need to worry. Like a Waitress told me one time, "Salt melts, but Sugar just gets Lumpy. So I'd just get Lumpy." I think that you would also probably just get Lumpy like me. By the way, that Waitress got a "real" good tip!

Glad you liked the Peaches & Cream. I don't eat Sweets very often, but every once in awhile I get a hankering for some, and these usually hit the spot.

Here's a little something that I hope that you all might like as well. This recipe is simple and it goes together nicely. Tender chops are encased with a crunchy coating.

Parmesan Sage Pork Chops

Ingredients

• 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • Dash pepper
  • 2-1/4 cups soft bread crumbs
  • 1-1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 tablespoon and 1-1/2 teaspoons rubbed sage
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
  • 3 egg, lightly beaten
  • 6 bone-in pork loin chops
  • 3 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
  • 3 tablespoons butter or margarine

Directions

1. In a shallow dish, combine the flour, salt and pepper. In another shallow dish, combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, sage and lemon peel. Place egg in shallow bowl. Coat pork chops with flour mixture, dip in egg, then coat with bread crumb mixture. Let stand for 5 minutes.
  2. In a skillet, brown chops in oil and butter for 2 minutes on each side. Transfer to a greased 11-in. x 7-in. x 2-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 425 degrees F for 10-15 minutes or until juices run clear and a meat thermometer reads 160 degrees F. Serves 6

This is one of my family's favorite vegetables. They are also great for the holdiays.

Candied Carrots

Ingredients

• 1-1/2 pounds carrots, cut into 2 inch pieces
  • 3 tablespoons butter, diced
  • 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
  • 1-1/2 pinches salt
  • 1-1/2 pinches ground black pepper

Directions

1. Place carrots in a pot of salted water. Bring water to a boil, reduce heat to a high simmer and cook about 20 to 30 minutes. Do not cook the carrots to a mushy stage!
  2. Drain the carrots, reduce the heat to its lowest possible setting and return the carrots to the pan. Stir in butter, brown sugar, salt and pepper. Cook for about 3 to 5 minutes, until sugar is bubbly. Serve hot! Serves 6.

These are the best I've had! The Red Potato skins are full of flavor.

Mashed Red Potatoes

Ingredients

• 2 pounds small red potatoes, quartered
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup sour cream
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions

1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add potatoes, and cook until tender but still firm, about 10 minutes. Drain, and place in a large bowl.
  2. Combine potatoes with butter, milk, sour cream, salt, and pepper. Mash together until smooth and creamy.

Hope Your Week's Going Great,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/7/2011 11:04:59 PM

Hello Everyone,

Tonight, fix your Family a fine, Restaurant meal without all of the fuss. This elegant meal is shockingly simple to make. If fresh, ripe apricots are available, you can use them instead of peaches. Add a side of Green Beans with Goat Cheese and Walnuts for a complete meal.

Duck Breasts with Peaches and Tarragon

Ingredients
2 1-lb. boneless duck breasts
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 Tbs. unsalted butter
2 medium shallots, thinly sliced (1/2 cup)
6 Tbs. dry white wine or dry vermouth
6 Tbs. lower-salt chicken broth
3 medium peaches (or 6 medium apricots), pitted and sliced 1/2 inch thick
1 Tbs. chopped fresh tarragon leaves
2 tsp. mild honey, such as clover honey

Preparation

Heat the oven to 425°F. Score the skin and fat on each breast without cutting into the meat. Season with 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper.

Heat a 12-inch ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add the breasts skin side down and cook until the skin is browned and crisp, about 6 minutes. Flip and put the skillet in the oven. Roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 130° to 135°F for medium rare, 8 to 9 minutes.

Transfer the duck to a cutting board. Discard all but 1 Tbs. fat from the skillet. Swirl in the butter and return the skillet to medium heat. Add the shallots and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add the wine and simmer until reduced by half, about 2 minutes. Add the broth and simmer until reduced by half, another 2 minutes. Add the peaches, tarragon, honey, 1/4 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Stir until the sauce is bubbling, 1 minute.

Slice the duck and serve with the fruit sauce. Serves 4.

It's never been one of my favorites, but if you love goat cheese, feel free to add more to this simple dish.

Haricots Verts with Toasted Walnuts and Chèvre

Ingredients
Kosher salt
3/4 lb. haricots verts (green, yellow, or both), trimmed
1 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
2 Tbs. minced shallots
1/3 cup walnuts, lightly toasted and chopped
2 tsp. walnut oil
Freshly ground black pepper
2 oz. fresh goat cheese, crumbled (2/3 cup)

Preparation

Bring a medium pot of well-salted water to a boil. Cook the beans in the water until tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain and run under cold water to cool. Drain well.

Heat the olive oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and cook, stirring, until they begin to brown, about 30 seconds. Stir in the walnuts. Add the walnut oil and the beans and cook, stirring to heat through, 2 to 3 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper and transfer the beans to a serving dish. Sprinkle the goat cheese over the top and serve. Serves 4.

Have A Wonderful Evening,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/8/2011 8:45:04 PM
Hello Friends,

Today a warm vinaigrette brings the sauté and the greens together, giving the finished dish the dressiness of a composed salad and the simplicity of a one-pot meal. Start off with Homemade Tortilla Chips and finish the meal with a refreshing Mango-Lime Granita.

Baby Romaine Salad with Spicy Chicken & Warm Chipotle Vinaigrette

Ingredients
6 oz. baby romaine, washed and spun dry (about 8 loosely packed cups)
1/4 lb. iceberg lettuce, thinly sliced, washed and spun dry (about 2 cups)
1/2 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves
1 chipotle chile (from a can of chipotles in adobo sauce), chopped, plus 2 Tbs. adobo sauce
3 oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and chopped
2 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
2 tsp. light brown sugar
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1/2 cup plus 3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
2 Tbs. fine cornmeal (preferably white)
1 Tbs. chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
1-1/4 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 3 small), cut crosswise into 1-inch-thick strips
1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced into half moons
1 ripe avocado, cut into 3/4-inch dice
1-1/2 cups cooked fresh or thawed frozen corn kernels (from about 2 ears)
1 lime, cut into quarters
Preparation
Toss the romaine, iceberg, and half of the cilantro in a large bowl. In a blender or food processor, purée the chipotle chile and adobo sauce, sun-dried tomatoes, vinegar, brown sugar, and mustard. With the machine running, slowly pour in 1/2 cup of the oil. Transfer to a measuring cup; season to taste with salt and pepper.
In a shallow dish, mix the flour, cornmeal, chili powder, and cumin with 1-1/2 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. black pepper. Season the chicken with 1 tsp. salt and then dredge in the flour mixture.

Heat 2 Tbs. of the remaining oil in a heavy nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until it’s shimmering, about 1 minute. Add half of the chicken strips, evenly spaced, and cook without touching for 2 min. Flip and cook until the strips are just cooked through and firm to the touch, 1 to 2 min. Transfer to a large plate lined with ­paper towels and sprinkle with salt. Reduce the heat to medium, add the remaining 1 Tbs. oil, and cook the remaining strips in the same manner.

Discard the fat from the pan and wipe it clean with paper ­towels. Set the pan over low heat, add the vinaigrette, and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon or spatula, until warmed through, about 1 min. Return the vinaigrette to a liquid measuring cup and whisk to recombine.

Gently toss the greens with about 1/4 cup of the vinaigrette or enough to lightly coat. Portion among four plates and top with the chicken, onion, avocado, corn, and the remaining 1/4 cup cilantro. Drizzle with some of the remaining vinaigrette (you may not need it all) and serve with lime wedges on the side for squeezing over the salads. Serves 4.

Nothing beats warm, salty, homemade tortilla chips when you're serving guacamole or other dips, and they couldn't be easier to make. In fact, they're so good, you might want to make a double batch while the oil is hot.

Homemade Tortilla Chips

Ingredients

2 to 3 quarts peanut or canola oil
One 10-pack 6-inch corn tortillas
Kosher salt

Preparation

Pour the oil into a 6-quart pot to a depth of at least 2 inches and set over medium-high heat. While the oil heats, stack the tortillas and, cutting through the entire stack, cut the tortillas into six wedges each. When the oil is shimmering hot but not smoking, drop in a piece of tortilla. If the oil is hot enough, the tortilla will float to the surface and brown in about 1 minute. If it’s not hot enough, it will sink.

Fry as many chips as you can at a time without overcrowding the pot (it may be just a handful), turning halfway through, until they’re lightly colored, about 1 minute. With a slotted spoon, transfer the chips to a large paper-towel-lined plate. Repeat.

Put the warm chips in a clean paper bag, add 1/4 tsp. salt, close the bag, and gently shake to season them. Season with more salt to taste.

This recipe yields about 8 cups of scraped granita and serves­ sixteen.

Mango-Lime Granita

Ingredients
1-1/2 ripe mangos (1-1/2 lb. total), peeled
1 tsp. finely grated lime zest
2 cups water
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 Tbs. fresh lime juice

Preparation

Cut the mango flesh away from the pit and chop coarsely into 1-inch pieces; you should have 2 to 2-1/2 cups packed fruit. In a food pro­cessor, combine the mango and lime zest. Process until completely smooth, 1 to 2 min., stopping to scrape down the sides with arubber spatula as needed. Transfer the purée to a medium bowl and add the water, sugar, and lime juice. Stir with a large spoon or whisk until the sugar has thoroughly dissolved.

Pour the purée into a 9-inch-square shallow baking pan. This pan size works best ­because it provides a large surface area, a key point in speeding up the freezing process. To further hasten freezing, use a metal pan (metal conducts cold well).

Put the pan in the freezer and stir every 30 minutes, being sure to scrape the ice crystals off the sides and into the ­middle of the pan, until the mixture is too frozen to stir, about 3 hours, depending on how cold your freezer is (some granitas can freeze in as ­little as 1 hour). Use a large dinner fork to stir and scrape; the tines are perfect for breaking up ice crystals.

Cover the pan with plastic and freeze over­night. When ready to serve the granita, place a fork at the top of the dish and pull it toward you in rows, moving from left to right and rotating the pan as well. Scape up the shaved ice and fill your chilled glasses or bowls.

Have A Great Day My Friends,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!