Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
8/29/2011 3:07:49 PM

Hi Myrna,

Thanks for stopping by and I'm glad that you liked the Squash Recipe. That fried squash in the coconut oil sounds good. I'll have to try it that way. Here's one of my favorite ways to fix White Squash.

ITALIAN WHITE SQUASH AND POTATOES

4 medium white squash, peeled and diced
4 medium red potatoes, peeled and diced
1 lg. onion, chopped
1/4 c. Italian cheese, grated
Season to taste
1/2 c. water
Garlic powder to taste
Salt and pepper to taste

Spray large cook pan with Pam. Then add squash, potatoes, onion, and water. Season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste. Cover pan and cook over medium heat until vegetables are tender. Cook water out. When cooked, add Italian cheese. Stir well, then serve. Delicious.

Hint: Sargento puts out a Fancy Shredded Italian Blend with Mozzarella, Provolone, Parmesan, Fontina, Romano and Aged Asiago that would be worth giving a try.

Happy Monday My Friend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/29/2011 3:23:05 PM

Hello My Friends,

Since I did a Vegetarian recipe first today, here's today's Recipe for everyone else. This is one of my best recipes. Blueberries are mixed with apricot jam and mustard to create a sweet tangy sauce for tender chicken.

Chicken with Blueberry Sauce

Ingredients

• 6 (4 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breast halves
  • 1 tablespoon and 1-1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
  • 3/4 cup apricot preserves or spreadable fruit (optional)
  • 1/4 cup and 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
  • 1/2 cup white wine vinegar or cider vinegar
  • 3/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
  • Hot cooked rice

Directions

1. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook chicken in oil for about 4 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Combine preserves and mustard; spoon over chicken. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.
  2. With a slotted spoon, remove chicken and keep warm. Add vinegar to skillet; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3 minutes or until sauce is reduced by one-third, stirring occasionally. Stir in blueberries. Serve over chicken and rice if desired. Serves 6.

Get a head start on a flavorful rice side dish with this mixture. With just five ingredients, it's simple to prepare and can be stored in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

Chicken-Flavored Rice Mix

Ingredients

• 1/4 cup and 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
  • 1/4 cup and 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
  • 1 tablespoon and 1-1/2 teaspoons dried celery flakes
  • 1 tablespoon and 1-1/2 teaspoons dried minced onion
  • 1 tablespoon and 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
  • ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
  • 1-1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
  • 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
  • 3 cups water

Directions

In a bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

When ready to serve: In a saucepan, saute rice in butter until lightly browned. Add water and about 1/4 cup of seasoning mix. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until the rice is tender. Yield: 4-6 servings.

Salty and savory, the roasting method kills the natural bitterness of Asparagus.

Oven-Roasted Asparagus

Ingredients

• 1-1/2 bunches thin asparagus spears, trimmed
  • 1/4 cup and 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons and 3/4 teaspoon grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
  • 1-1/2 cloves garlic, minced (optional)
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons sea salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon and 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice (optional)

Directions

1. Preheat an oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
  2. Place the asparagus into a mixing bowl, and drizzle with the olive oil. Toss to coat the spears, then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, garlic, salt, and pepper. Arrange the asparagus onto a baking sheet in a single layer.
  3. Bake in the preheated oven until just tender, 12 to 15 minutes depending on thickness. Sprinkle with lemon juice just before serving. Serves 6.

Finally, if you just can't get enough of those delicious berrie, I love to make this pie with fresh blueberries and strawberries from area farms. It's an easy summer treat that my family just gobbles up.

Summer Berry Cheese Pie

Ingredients

• 1 pint fresh strawberries, sliced, divided
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 2/3 cup sugar, divided
  • 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
  • 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
  • 1 (9 inch) graham cracker crust
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 3 drops red food coloring (optional)
  • 1 pint fresh blueberries

Directions

1. In a bowl, combine half of the strawberries and lemon juice; mash berries. Add 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar; set aside. In a mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, lemon peel and remaining sugar. Spread into the crust. In a saucepan, combine cornstarch and reserved strawberry mixture until blended. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in food coloring if desired. Cool slightly. Fold in blueberries and remaining strawberries. Spread over cream cheese mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours. Serves 6.

Have A Wonderful Monday,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
8/29/2011 8:04:30 PM

Myrna, if I were close by I would surely take some. I like any kind of fresh vegetable. Yesterday the Pastor and his wife gave away some Zuchinni squash and I came home & cooked up some to go with the beef ribs I had cooked. I sliced, battered and fried them but not in coconut oil :), sure did enjoy them.

Phil, thanks for all the good recipes.

Sara

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/29/2011 8:53:01 PM

Hi Sara,

Speaking of fresh Vegetables, here's a quick and healthy recipe that features three of my favorite Veggies. Matter of fact, I think I'll have it tonight.

Vegetable Medley Saute

Ingredients

-
2 Tbsp. Shedd's Spread Country Crock® Calcium plus Vitamin D
-
1-1/2 cups sliced carrots
-
1 large red bell pepper, sliced
-
1 cup broccoli florets
-
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
-
2 tsp. chopped fresh parsley (optional)
-
1/4 tsp. salt
-
1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
Directions

Melt Shedd's Spread Country Crock® Calcium plus Vitamin D in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and cook carrots, red pepper and broccoli, stirring occasionally, 6 minutes or until crisp-tender. Stir in garlic and cook 30 seconds. Stir in parsley and heat through. Season lightly with salt and black pepper. Serves 4.

Have A Terrific Evening,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/30/2011 2:03:34 PM

Hello My Friends,

Here's a chicken dinner that's flavorful inside and out, just be sure your prosciutto pieces are long and full enough to wrap all the way around the chicken breasts. Serve with the Cherry Tomato Bread Salad with Basil & Fresh Mozzarella which follows.

Grilled Prosciutto-Wrapped Chicken Stuffed with Fresh Mozzarella & Basil

Ingredients
4 medium boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 1lb.)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
12 large basil leaves
1/4 lb. fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
4 thin slices prosciutto (preferably imported)
1 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil

Directions

Prepare a medium charcoal fire or light a gas grill to medium high.

Meanwhile, prepare the chicken breasts. Cut through each one horizontally almost all the way through and open it like a book. Sprinkle the chicken all over with 1/2 tsp. each salt and pepper. Layer the basil and mozzarella evenly on half of each breast and then fold it closed. Wrap a slice of prosciutto around each breast to hold it closed and then brush lightly on both sides with the olive oil.

Reduce the heat on the gas grill to medium. Grill the chicken breasts, covered, until they are well marked, about 4 minutes. Flip and cook, turning every few minutes, until the chicken is just firm to the touch and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of the breast registers 165°F, 10 to 12 minutes more. Let cool for a couple of minutes and then serve. Serves 4.

Cherry Tomato Bread Salad with Basil & Fresh Mozzarella

Ingredients

6 slices, 1/2 inch thick, ciabatta or other squat, chewy bread
2 Tbs. plus 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt
30 basil leaves
1 small strip lemon zest, about 2 inches long, white pith removed
4 cups small cherry tomatoes (or other bite-size tomatoes, such as pear or grape) in assorted colors, halved
1 lb. small fresh mozzarella balls (about 1 inch in diameter)
1/4 tsp. crushed red chile flakes
Freshly ground black pepper

Directions

Heat the oven to 400°F. Tear the bread into 1-inch pieces, pile them on a rimmed baking sheet, and drizzle with 2 Tbs. of the oil. Sprinkle with salt, toss, spread in a single layer, and bake, turning occasionally, until the bread cubes are golden and crunchy, 8 to 12 min. Set aside to cool.

Bring a saucepan of water to a boil. Add the basil leaves and lemon zest and blanch for 5 seconds. Drain. Transfer the basil and zest to a blender and pulse a few times to chop the leaves. With the blender running, slowly add the remaining 1/3 cup oil through the lid’s fill hole and process for 30 seconds. Scrape down the sides of the blender and continue to purée until smooth, 30 to 60 seconds.

In a large bowl, toss together the cherry tomatoes, mozzarella, and bread cubes. Let sit, tossing occasionally, for 20 min. Sprinkle with the chile flakes; season with salt and pepper to taste. Serves 6.

Have A Terrific Week,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!