Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
RE: Papas Kitchen
8/9/2011 4:59:37 PM

Myrna not all grocery stores carry it. We have several different grocery stores here but the only place I have found it so far is the Kroger grocery stores. You might want to phone around the grocery stores near you and see if you can find one that carries it. I think there might be other brands besides Hormel but I am not sure. That is the only brand I have found here in my area.

Quote:
Hi Phil and Mary Evelyn,

I did not know there was a bacon that did not of nitrate. Thank you for this info. I will be buying that nitrate free bacon. Good news
+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/9/2011 5:01:22 PM
Mary Evelyn,

I am just glad to know there are a few that don't have nitrate. I have seen Hormel here in one of the stores, it is just to get to the right one. Thanks for the information.

Myrna

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
8/9/2011 5:19:07 PM

Myrna, I don't know about your area but here the grocery business is so competitive that most times if they don't have an item you want, they will order it for you. So if you have one that already carries the Hormel brand but doesn't have the bacon see if they will order some. I am sure they would have no trouble selling it as more and more people are becoming more aware and are educating themselves on what is in our food and the side effects of such additives.

Quote:

Mary Evelyn,

I am just glad to know there are a few that don't have nitrate. I have seen Hormel here in one of the stores, it is just to get to the right one. Thanks for the information.

Myrna

+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/9/2011 5:50:08 PM
Thanks Mary Evelyn, that is very good to know. I do know that they have ordered things for others. I will check it out.

Myrna
LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Amanda Martin-Shaver

2587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/9/2011 6:56:33 PM
Hello Phil,
I did not know you were hosting a a recipe forum with wonderful mouth watering dishes, just happened to see a post and came along to look.

I love bacon and use chopped up bacon in many different dishes as it gives added flavour even always having a bag of cooked chopped bacon on hand.
However one difference, I always like my bacon less cooked as I find everywhere I go where bacon is served they always cook it until crispy which in my opinion makes it more salty - I have to always remember to ask to have it cooked less..

I love biscuits (scones as they are called in New Zealand) and still prefer mine with butter and jam and have not even attempted to eat them with gravy like James (my southerner hubby) likes. I have given up trying to make my own as like many of my home recipes, cookies, pastries and scones do not come out tasting like home, so I buy the rolls of ready prepared batter and just bake them.

There are still many other dishes I cook that come out how they are suppose too. I am going to go back over all the entries and look at all the tempting recipes as one can never have too many.

Thanks for sharing
Amanda

Quote:

This is the way to get crisp bacon without having to constantly turn it, watch over it, or get burnt by splatters of grease. It 'fries' up flat and doesn't curl, which looks great beside a breakfast plate of eggs, and makes BLT sandwiches much easier. Very nice when feeding a family or crowd

Bacon for the Family or a Crowd

Ingredients

• 1 pound thick sliced bacon

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Arrange bacon on baking sheet in a single layer with the edges touching or slightly overlapping.
  2. Bake in preheated oven to desired degree of doneness, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove bacon from the baking sheet with tongs or a fork, and drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
Finally, if you're looking for a flaky basic biscuit, this recipe is the best. These golden-brown rolls bake up tall, light and tender. Their mild flavor tastes even better when the warm biscuits are spread with butter or jam.

Fluffy Biscuits

Ingredients

• 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 3 teaspoons sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 1 egg
  • 2/3 cup milk

Directions

1. In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Beat egg with milk; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
  2. Turn onto a well-floured surface; knead 20 times. Roll to 3/4-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at

450 degrees F for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Makes a Dozen.

Have A Wonderful Week My Friends,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!