Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
8/6/2011 11:34:35 PM

Hello My Friends,

For tomorrow's Sunday Dinner, here's a Recipe for a succulent Roast with meltingly tender vegetables which couldn't be simpler to make: just pop it in the oven in the morning, and let it cook slowly all day long. the result: meat with an amazing fall-off-the-bone texture. Serve the pork and vegetables with Creamy Garlic Mashed Potatoes, recipe that follows.

Slow-Roasted Pork Shoulder with Carrots, Onions, and Garlic

Ingredients
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 6-3/4- to 7-lb. boneless pork shoulder roast
1 large yellow onion, cut into 1/2-inch-thick rings
3 medium carrots, cut into sticks 1/2 inch wide and 2 to 2-1/2 inches long
10 cloves garlic, peeled
1 cup dry white wine

Preparation

Combine 2 Tbs. salt and 2 tsp. pepper in a small bowl and rub the mixture all over the pork. Put the pork, fat side up, in a large roasting pan (about 12x16x3 inches). Cover and refrigerate overnight or for up to 3 days.

Remove the pork from the refrigerator and let sit at room temperature for 1 to 1-1/2 hours before cooking.

Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 300°F. Uncover the pork and roast until tender everywhere but the very center when pierced with a fork, 4 to 4-1/2 hours. Add the onion, carrots, garlic, wine, and 1 cup water to the roasting pan and continue to roast, stirring the vegetables occasionally, until the pork is completely tender, about 1 hour more.

Remove the roast from the oven and raise the oven temperature to 375°F. Using tongs, separate the pork into 8 to 10 large, rustic chunks and spread out on the pan. If most of the liquid has evaporated, add a splash more water to the pan to create a little more juice. (It shouldn’t be soupy.) Return the pork to the oven and continue to roast until nicely browned on the newly exposed surfaces, about 15 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven, transfer the meat and vegetables to a serving platter, and tent loosely with foil. Let rest for 20 minutes. Skim the excess fat from the juices and serve the juices with the vegetables and meat. Serves 4, with plenty of leftovers for Lunch on Monday.

It might seem like this recipe calls for a lot of garlic and very few potatoes, but boiling and mashing them together with butter and cream delivers just the right amount of mellow garlic flavor.

Creamy Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Ingredients
5 oz. garlic cloves (25 to 30 large cloves), blanched and peeled
3 medium Yukon Gold potatoes (about 1-1/4 lb.), peeled and halved
One-half dried or 1 fresh bay leaf
Kosher salt
1/4 cup light cream or whole milk
4 Tbs. unsalted butter, at room temperature
Freshly ground black pepper

Preparation

Cut the garlic cloves in half lengthwise and remove the germs. Put the potatoes and garlic in a 3-quart saucepan. Add the bay leaf, 1 tsp. salt, and enough cold water to cover the potatoes by about 1 inch. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium low, partially cover the pot, and simmer until the potatoes are very tender when pierced with a fork but not falling apart, about 20 minutes. Serves 4 (About 3 cups)

Hope You Have A Peaceful Sunday,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/8/2011 2:56:24 PM

Hello Friends,

Chinese cooks have used five-spice powder and hoisin to flavor barbecued meat for centuries, and they’re really onto something: it gives this chicken a sweet, spicy, haunting flavor. Unless you’re feeding all white-meat lovers or all dark-meat lovers, grill an assortment of chicken legs, thighs, breasts, and wings. Serve the grilled chicken with a Tomato, Feta, and Chickpea Salad and a special Blueberry-Orange Treat for Dessert.

Five-Spice Grilled Chicken with Hoisin-Maple Glaze

Ingredients:
2 Tbs. dark brown sugar
1 Tbs. sweet Hungarian paprika
1 Tbs. minced fresh garlic (about 3 large cloves)
2-1/2 tsp. Chinese five-spice powder
1 tsp. ground fennel seed
1 tsp. dry mustard
3 lb. bone-in chicken pieces (legs, thighs, breasts, and wings)
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
2 Tbs. pure maple syrup
1 Tbs. soy sauce
1 Tbs. honey
2 tsp. Asian sesame oil
2 tsp. minced fresh ginger
1/4 cup peanut or canola oil

Tip: Indirect grilling is a must for chicken on the bone so the chicken can cook through before the outside burns. Don’t glaze the chicken until just before it’s done, or the glaze will burn; watch for flare-ups after the glaze goes on.

Directions:

In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, paprika, garlic, 2 tsp. of the five-spice, fennel, mustard, 1 Tbs. salt, and 2 tsp. pepper. Put the chicken pieces in a 9x13-inch baking dish and rub the spice mix all over the chicken. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and no more than 6 hours.

Prepare a charcoal or gas grill fire for indirect cooking over medium heat (325°F to 375°F). In a small bowl, combine the hoisin, maple syrup, soy sauce, honey, sesame oil, ginger, and the remaining 1/2 tsp. five-spice powder.

Lightly brush the chicken pieces with the peanut oil and arrange skin side down over direct heat. Cover and cook until grill marks form, 3 to 5 minutes. If the chicken flares up, immediately move it to indirect heat. Flip the chicken and mark the other side, 2 minutes more. Move the chicken to the cooler side of the grill to finish cooking over indirect heat. Cover and cook, occasionally rearranging the pieces to ensure even cooking, until an instant-read thermometer registers 165°F (breast pieces) to 170°F (leg pieces), 30 to 45 minutes.

Generously brush the glaze on the chicken and flip glaze side down over to the hotter part of the grill. Cook until the glaze is bubbly and deep red, 30 to 60 seconds. Brush more glaze on the top of the chicken, flip, and cook for 30 to 60 seconds more. Serve immediately. Serves 4-6.

Za’atar, a Middle Eastern spice blend treasured for its savory thyme-oregano flavor, adds a lovely herbal quality to this easy side salad. (I order mine from The Spice House).

Tomato, Chickpea, and Feta Salad

Ingredients:
3 oz. feta, crumbled (about 1/2 cup)
2 tsp. za’atar
Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
1 lb. cherry, grape, or pear tomatoes, halved
1 15-oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and patted dry
1 Tbs. white wine vinegar

Directions:

In a small bowl, mix together the feta, za’atar and crushed red pepper flakes. Add 1 Tbs. of the oil and let sit while you prepare the rest of the salad.

Put the tomatoes in a large bowl. Stir in the chickpeas and season with 1/4 tsp. salt and a few grinds black pepper.

Add the remaining 2 Tbs. oil and the vinegar. Stir in the feta, season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve. Serves 6.

Ripe fresh fruit is nature's own fast food. It's already sweetened, it's loaded with flavor, it has interesting textures, and it's the perfect building block for intriguing desserts like this vibrant summer pudding made with blueberries and ladyfingers.

Blueberry-Orange Summer Pudding

Ingredients:
6 cups or 4 pints (10 ounces each) blueberries, rinsed and dried
1 medium navel orange
1-1/3 cups granulated sugar
2 packages (3 ounces each) or 4 dozen soft ladyfingers

Directions:

Set aside a few of the blueberries for garnish, if desired. Lightly grease a small (4-cup) bowl with cooking spray. Line with 2 long pieces of plastic wrap, letting the excess hang over the sides. Make room in the fridge.

Finely grate 2 tsp. zest from the orange. Squeeze 2/3 cup juice from the orange. Put the juice and zest in a medium saucepan with about two-thirds of the blueberries and the sugar. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring, until the berries are soft and the liquid is syrupy, about 3 minutes. Slide the pan from the heat and add the remaining blueberries. With the back of a spoon, press on the fresh blueberries until lightly crushed. Set aside to cool slightly.

Arrange one row of ladyfingers top side down and slightly overlapping (keep attached, if possible) to cover the interior of the bowl completely. Fill gaps with smaller pieces. Spoon the berries (with as little liquid as possible) into the bowl. Cover with the remaining ladyfingers, then pour the juice on top. Wrap the excess plastic over the bowl. Put a flat plate large enough to cover the pudding on top and set a 2- or 3-pound weight (think large can of tomatoes) on it. Refrigerate for at least 8 hours or up to 2 days.

To serve, unwrap the mold and invert onto a shallow serving bowl or plate. Gently pull on the plastic while lifting off the bowl. Cut into wedges. Garnish with the reserved blueberries, if you like. Serves 6.

Have A Great Week My Friends,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/9/2011 3:06:19 PM
Hello Everyone,
They always say that Breakfast is the most important meal of the Day, so let's getstarted right. Sour cream makes these eggs rich and creamy and the basil adds a little kick of flavor. This morning I used pepperjack cheese and a little fresh garlic and onion seasoning for extra flavor.

Creamy Cheesy Scrambled Eggs with Basil

Ingredients

• 12 eggs
  • 1/2 cup and 1 tablespoon sour cream
  • 1-1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil

Directions

1. Whisk eggs and sour cream in a bowl until creamy and smooth. Mix in cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
  2. Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Pour in egg mixture; cook, stirring constantly, until eggs reach the desired consistency. Mix in basil during final minutes of cooking. Serves 6.

This is the way to get crisp bacon without having to constantly turn it, watch over it, or get burnt by splatters of grease. It 'fries' up flat and doesn't curl, which looks great beside a breakfast plate of eggs, and makes BLT sandwiches much easier. Very nice when feeding a family or crowd

Bacon for the Family or a Crowd

Ingredients

• 1 pound thick sliced bacon

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Arrange bacon on baking sheet in a single layer with the edges touching or slightly overlapping.
  2. Bake in preheated oven to desired degree of doneness, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove bacon from the baking sheet with tongs or a fork, and drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
Finally, if you're looking for a flaky basic biscuit, this recipe is the best. These golden-brown rolls bake up tall, light and tender. Their mild flavor tastes even better when the warm biscuits are spread with butter or jam.

Fluffy Biscuits

Ingredients

• 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 3 teaspoons sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 1 egg
  • 2/3 cup milk

Directions

1. In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Beat egg with milk; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
  2. Turn onto a well-floured surface; knead 20 times. Roll to 3/4-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at

450 degrees F for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Makes a Dozen.

Have A Wonderful Week My Friends,

Phil

+0
8/9/2011 3:51:57 PM

Happy Tuesday Phil, even though I rarely post in this thead I do read it and was overjoyed to see this recipe for cooking bacon. When my grandchildren come to spend the night I always cook them bacon for breakfast because they like it so well and I usually cook the whole package, which takes a while when cooked in the skillet. So since two of my little granddaughers will be spending the night Thursday I will definitely try this. Another thing too is since the nitrates in bacon are what are supposed to be harmful I buy Homel's Nitrate Free so they can eat as much as they want. Again thanks for this recipe and I will let you know how it goes when I use it. Have a blessed day. :)

Quote:
Hello Everyone,

Bacon for the Family or a Crowd

Ingredients

• 1 pound thick sliced bacon

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Arrange bacon on baking sheet in a single layer with the edges touching or slightly overlapping.
  2. Bake in preheated oven to desired degree of doneness, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove bacon from the baking sheet with tongs or a fork, and drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
Finally, if you're looking for a flaky basic biscuit, this recipe is the best. These golden-brown rolls bake up tall, light and tender. Their mild flavor tastes even better when the warm biscuits are spread with butter or jam.

Fluffy Biscuits

Ingredients

• 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 3 teaspoons sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 1 egg
  • 2/3 cup milk

Directions

1. In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Beat egg with milk; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
  2. Turn onto a well-floured surface; knead 20 times. Roll to 3/4-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at

450 degrees F for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Makes a Dozen.

Have A Wonderful Week My Friends,

Phil

+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/9/2011 4:52:53 PM
Hi Phil and Mary Evelyn,

I did not know there was a bacon that did not of nitrate. Thank you for this info.Have read a lot of different brands labels for nitrate, but missed this one. I will be buying that nitrate free bacon. Good news
LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!