Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
8/2/2011 10:09:29 PM

Hello Everyone,

Here's a quick Vegetarian Treat for the Hot Summertime. This recipe calls for broccoli, snow peas, carrots, and green beans, but you can use any of your favorites. The vegetables are stir fried with garlic, ginger, and soy sauce. Serve over your favorite rice, I prefer steamed jasmine rice.

Ginger Veggie Stir-fry

Ingredients

• 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1 1/2 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 2 teaspoons chopped fresh ginger root, divided
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil, divided
  • 1 small head broccoli, cut into florets
  • 1/2 cup snow peas
  • 3/4 cup julienned carrots
  • 1/2 cup halved green beans
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons water
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion
  • 1/2 tablespoon salt

Directions

1. In a large bowl, blend cornstarch, garlic, 1 teaspoon ginger, and 2 tablespoons vegetable oil until cornstarch is dissolved. Mix in broccoli, snow peas, carrots, and green beans, tossing to lightly coat.
  2. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet or wok over medium heat. Cook vegetables in oil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly to prevent burning. Stir in soy sauce and water. Mix in onion, salt, and remaining 1 teaspoon ginger. Cook until vegetables are tender but still crisp. Serves 6.

Have A Terrific Tuesday,

Phil

Add a Photo

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/3/2011 5:54:30 PM

Hello My Friends,

Today we have some delicious, moist, good-the-next-day Chicken! You can use as many pieces of chicken as needed. I use breasts, thighs, and legs. Honestly, I have never found anyone who did not like this dish.

Easiest Oven Baked Chicken

Ingredients

• 1 (3 pound) whole chicken, cut into parts
  • 3/4 cup melted butter
  • 2 cups crushed saltine crackers

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
  2. Dip the skinless chicken pieces in the melted butter/margarine. Coat with the crushed salted cracker crumbs. Place on a cookie sheet lined with tin foil and bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour. Serves 8.
This is a great side dish when I'm tired of the same old thing. I usually use the frozen bag of mixed broccoli, cauliflower and carrots, (California Blend).

Swiss Vegetable Medley

Ingredients

• 1 (16 ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
  • 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
  • 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 (6 ounce) can French-fried onions
  • ground pepper to taste

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Set aside 1/4 cup of cheese, and 1/4 cup of onions.
  2. In a medium-size mixing bowl, combine thawed vegetables, mushroom soup, 3/4 cup Swiss cheese, sour cream, remaining fried onions, and pepper. Pour ingredients into a 2 quart casserole dish.
  3. Bake for 30 minutes. Sprinkle reserved cheese and onions on top of the casserole and bake additional 5 minutes, or until the cheese has melted. Serves 6.

Finish off your meal with another of my favorite Side Dishes. Couscous is the best! It's fast and tastes great. This recipe is savory and goes great with the Chicken.

Company Couscous

Ingredients

• 1-1/2 cups couscous
  • 1-1/2 cups boiling water
  • 1/4 cup and 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 1-1/2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons diced red bell pepper
  • 6 green onions, sliced
  • 1-1/2 cups cherry tomatoes
  • 1-1/2 cups fresh basil leaves
  • 1-1/2 pinches salt
  • 1-1/2 pinches ground black pepper
  • 1-1/2 dashes balsamic vinegar
  • 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. Stir couscous into boiling water and return water to a boil. Cover and remove pot from heat. Let stand 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
  3. While the couscous is cooking, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in garlic, green onions and peppers; saute briefly. Stir in tomatoes, basil, cooked couscous, salt and pepper. Mix together and transfer to a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish. Splash some balsamic vinegar on top.
  4. Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) oven for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese while still warm. Serves 6.

Have A Wonderful Week My Friends,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/4/2011 9:54:43 PM

Hello My Friends,

North Carolina farmers grow as many as 70-kinds of peaches. The five month peach season in our state officially lasts from June through early October so to celebrate, here's a couple of my favorite Recipes, starting with a peach of a recipe that you can get on the table in less than 30 minutes.

Almond and Peach Crusted Pork Chops

Ingredients:

egg
tablespoons peach preserves
1/2
cup Original Bisquick® mix
1/2
cup coarsely chopped sliced almonds
tablespoon cornmeal
1/2
teaspoon salt
pork boneless loin chops, 1/2 inch thick (1 1/2 pounds)
tablespoon vegetable oil
Chopped fresh parsley, if desired
Directions:
Beat egg and preserves in shallow dish with fork, breaking apart any large pieces of preserves. Mix Bisquick mix, almonds, cornmeal and salt in another shallow dish. Dip pork chops into egg mixture, then coat with Bisquick mixture.

Heat oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Cook pork chops in oil 15 to 18 minutes, turning once, until crust is golden brown and pork is no longer pink in center. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve immediately. Serves 6.

And then, for your Sweet Tooth, a down-home dessert that goes together in a flash.

Fresh Peach Cobbler

Ingredients:

1/2
cup sugar
tablespoon cornstarch
1/4
teaspoon ground cinnamon
cups sliced fresh peaches (6 medium)
teaspoon lemon juice
tablespoons shortening
cup Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
tablespoon sugar
1 1/2
teaspoons baking powder
1/2
teaspoon salt
1/2
cup milk
Cream, if desired
Directions:
Heat oven to 400º.
  1. Mix 1/2 cup sugar, the cornstarch and cinnamon in 2-quart saucepan. Stir in peaches and lemon juice. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils. Boil and stir 1 minute. Pour into ungreased 2-quart casserole; keep peach mixture hot in oven.
  2. Cut shortening into flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, the baking powder and salt in medium bowl, using pastry blender or crisscrossing 2 knives, until mixture look like fine crumbs. Stir in milk. Drop dough by 6 spoonfuls onto hot peach mixture.
  3. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until topping is golden brown. Serve warm with cream if desired. Makes 6 Servings

Or, if you're watching your Calories, skip the Cobbler and try this Sorbet instead. It's the perfect light dessert. Calorie-conscious guests always say 'yes' to this, even when they might decline a slice of cake or pie.

Peach Sorbet

Ingredients

• 1 cup water
  • 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 8 medium ripe peaches, peeled and sliced

Directions

1. In a saucepan, combine the water, sugar and lemon juice. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Cool slightly; transfer to a blender.
  2. Add the peaches; cover and process until smooth. Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer; freeze according to manufacturer's directions. Transfer sorbet to a freezer container; cover and freeze for 4 hours or until firm. Serves 6.

Have A Terrific Thursday,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/4/2011 11:21:30 PM

Hello Again My Friends,

Of course, for a Meatless Alternative, these really taste like Crab Cakes but without the Crab, and it's a really good way to utilize that bumper crop of Zucchini.

Connie's Zucchini 'Crab' Cakes

Ingredients

• 3 cups grated zucchini
  • 1-1/4 egg, beaten
  • 2 tablespoons and 1-1/4 teaspoons butter, melted
  • 1 cup and 3 tablespoons bread crumbs
  • 1/4 cup and 2 teaspoons minced onion
  • 1-1/4 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning TM
  • 1/4 cup and 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup and 1 tablespoon and 2 teaspoons vegetable oil for frying

Directions

In a large bowl, combine zucchini, egg, and butter or margarine. Stir in seasoned crumbs, minced onion, and seasoning. Mix well.

Shape mixture into patties. Dredge in flour.

In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium high heat until hot. Fry patties in oil until golden brown on both sides. Serves 6.

Have A Wonderful Week,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/5/2011 9:36:08 PM
Hello My Friends,

Here's a little something different on the Menu tonight for Friday night Fish Night. Although it looks quite complicated to make, this dish is ready in less than 15 minutes, thanks to jarred Thai red curry paste. Be sure to use underripe or barely ripe bananas, which are less sweet and hold together well in the sauce. Serve with Steamed Jasmine Rice and Gingery Sautéed Carrots.

Thai-Style Halibut and Banana Curry with Peanuts

Ingredients
1 cup well-shaken canned coconut milk (not light)
1 Tbs. Thai red curry paste
12 oz. skinless halibut fillet, about 1-1/2 inches thick, cut into 2 pieces
Kosher salt
1 medium lime, zest finely grated, then halved
3 medium scallions, thinly sliced (white and green parts kept separate)
1 very large underripe or barely ripe banana (or 2 small), halved lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 1/2-inch half-moons
2 Tbs. chopped salted roasted peanuts
1/2 cup lightly packed chopped fresh cilantro
Preparation

In a 10-inch straight-sided sauté pan, whisk the coconut milk and curry paste until smooth.

Sprinkle the fish with 1/2 tsp. salt; then sprinkle with the lime zest. Squeeze a lime half over the fish.

Bring the coconut-curry mixture to a simmer over medium-high heat and then arrange the fillets in the pan, skinned side down. Add the white parts of the scallions, cover the pan, and simmer, adjusting the heat as necessary, for 2 minutes. Add the bananas and half of the peanuts to the sauce. Sprinkle half of the cilantro over the top. Cover the pan and continue to simmer until the fish flakes easily but is slightly translucent rather than fully opaque at the very center (check with a paring knife), 2 to 4 minutes. Squeeze the remaining lime half over the fish. Top with the scallion greens and the remaining peanuts and cilantro, and serve. Serves 2.

Steamed Jasmine Rice

Ingredients
1 cup jasmine rice
1/2 tsp. kosher salt

Preparation

Wash the rice well by putting it in a bowl and covering it with cool water. Swish the rice around with your hand until the water gets cloudy. Drain and repeat until the water gets only slightly cloudy; usually it takes about three rinses.

Drain the rice, put it in a small (1-qt) metal bowl, and stir in 1 cup cold water and the salt. Fit a rack or steaming trivet into a pot large enough to accommodate the bowl. Pour about an inch of water into the pot. Put the bowl of rice on the rack (it shouldn’t touch the water in the pot), cover the pot, and bring the water in the pot to a boil over high heat. As soon as the water in the pot begins to boil, set a timer for 25 minutes and reduce the heat to maintain a steady amount of steam. When the timer goes off, take the pot off the heat and use tongs or a hot pad to remove the hot bowl from the pot. Fluff the rice with a fork and serve. Serves 3-4.

These carrots have a nice spicy kick, courtesy of the fresh ginger, but a touch of maple syrup mellows them. Try to keep the size of your carrot “sticks” as consistent as possible so they cook at about the same rate; err on the smaller size if you have to.

Gingery Sautéed Carrots

Ingredients
1 Tbs. maple syrup
2 tsp. fresh lime juice
2 Tbs. unsalted butter
1 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
1 lb. carrots, trimmed, peeled, and cut into sticks about 4 inches long and 1/3 inch wide (see tip, right)
Kosher salt
1 Tbs. minced fresh ginger

Tip: To prep the carrots, cut each crosswise into 4-inch lengths and then halve each piece lengthwise. Put each piece on a flat cut side and slice lengthwise 1/3 inch thick.

Preparation

Combine the maple syrup, lime juice, and 1 Tbs. water in a small dish and set near the stove. Set a shallow serving dish near the stove, too.

In a 10-inch straight-sided sauté pan, heat 1 Tbs. of the butter with the olive oil over medium-high heat. When the butter is melted, add the carrots and season with 3/4 tsp. salt. Toss with tongs to coat well. Cook, gently tossing occasionally at first and then more frequently, until most of the carrots are well browned and tender when pierced with a fork, 6 to 9 minutes (if the carrots aren’t fully tender but look like they’re burning, reduce the heat to medium).

Reduce the heat to low, add the remaining 1 Tbs. butter and the ginger and cook, stirring and scraping the bottom of the pan with a heatproof rubber spatula, until the butter has melted and the ginger is fragrant, 15 to 20 seconds. Carefully add the maple syrup mixture and cook, stirring, until the liquid reduces to a glazey consistency that coats the carrots, 15 to 20 seconds.

Immediately transfer the carrots to the serving dish, scraping the pan with the spatula to get all of the gingery sauce. Let sit for a few minutes and then serve warm. Serves 2-3.

Hope Your Friday's Fantastic

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!