Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
RE: Papas Kitchen
7/6/2011 9:56:51 PM

Ok Phil & Friends, I am hungry again. All of these look so delicious!!

Wish we could get fresh salmon around here but would have to drive 50 miles or more. Frozen works in those cases. Will try that recipe next time we get some.

Love to all,

Sara

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/7/2011 3:21:24 AM
Hello My Friends,

Lest my Vegetarian Friends think that I have forgotten you, here's another of my favorites from my Meatless Menu. Grilled vegetable, that summer side dish staple can easily become a satisfying main course when turned into a vibrant sauce for spaghetti.

Spaghetti with Grilled Ratatouille

Ingredients
1 lb. ripe plum tomatoes, halved
2 medium zucchini (about 12 oz.), trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch rounds on a slight diagonal
2 baby eggplants (about 12 oz.), trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch rounds on a slight diagonal
1 large red bell pepper (about 8 oz.), stemmed, seeded, and quartered
1 large red onion (about 1 lb.), cut into 1/2-inch slices
1 small head garlic
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 tsp. herbes de Provence
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup pitted Kalamata olives
12 oz. dried thin spaghetti
2 Tbs. chopped fresh basil
2 tsp. chopped fresh marjoram
1/2 cup crumbled feta or goat cheese

Preparation

Prepare a high gas or charcoal grill fire. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, toss the tomatoes, zucchini, eggplant, red pepper, onion, and garlic with 3 Tbs. of the oil, the herbes de Provence, and a generous sprinkling of salt and pepper.

Put the vegetables (tomatoes cut side up) and garlic on the grill in a single layer and cover. Grill the tomatoes without turning until their skins have darkened and their flesh is soft; grill the remaining vegetables, turning once, until grill-marked and tender, about 8 minutes. Transfer the tomatoes and garlic to a medium bowl. Transfer the remaining vegetables to another medium bowl and let cool briefly.

When cool enough to handle, very coarsely chop the zucchini, eggplant, bell pepper, and onion; return to the bowl and add 1/2 cup of the olives to the bowl. Slip the garlic cloves out of their skins into a food processor. Add the remaining 1/4 cup of olives, the tomatoes, and the remaining 1 Tbs. of oil; process until smooth.

Meanwhile, bring 3 quarts of well-salted water to a boil in a large pot. Cook the spaghetti in the water about 1 minute less than the package timing for al dente texture. Reserve 1/2 cup of the water, drain the pasta, and return it to the pot.

Toss 1/2 cup of the tomato-olive sauce and the basil and marjoram with the warm vegetables in the bowl. Toss the remaining sauce and the reserved cooking liquid with the pasta; stir over low heat for about 2 minutes so the pasta absorbs some of the sauce. Divide the pasta among 4 plates, top with the vegetables, sprinkle with the cheese, and serve. Serves 4.

Have A Terrific Week,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/7/2011 10:49:38 PM

Hello Sara & Friends,

Tonight, a sweet, tangy balsamic vinegar marinade gives this pan-fried chicken flavor and color and then the marinade is cooked into a sauce for the chicken. We'll just finish up with a little something special for Dessert.

Balsamic Chicken

Ingredients

• 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth
  • 2 tablespoons white sugar
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon dried Italian herb seasoning
  • 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil

Directions

1. Whisk together the balsamic vinegar, chicken broth, sugar, garlic, and Italian seasoning in a bowl, place the chicken breasts in the marinade, and marinate for 10 minutes on each side.
  2. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Remove the chicken from the marinade and reserve the marinade. Place the chicken in the heated pan and cook until they start to brown and are no longer pink inside, at least 7 minutes per side. Pour the marinade into the skillet, and cook until it thickens slightly, turning the chicken breasts over once or twice, about 5 minutes. Serves 4.
Want a low calorie Southern dessert recipe that will knock your socks off? This delicious and easy Peach Cobbler Recipe certainly fits the bill. No need to feel guilty when indulging in this, as each serving is only 3 WW Points +. By bulking up the fruit, and decreasing the amount of crusty cobbler, you'll get a dessert that has all the tastes and texture you know and love in a traditional Peach Cobbler Recipe, but for far less fat and calories

Low Calorie Peach Cobbler

Ingredients

• 3 cups fresh peaches (about 4), peeled and pitted
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup whole wheat all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup fat free milk
  • 1/4 cup liquid egg substitute
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tbsp light butter, melted (I used Brummel & Brown)
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1 tsp fresh grated lemon rind

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray an 8" square baking dish with nonstick, butter flavored spray.
  2. In a large bowl, combine peaches, 1/4 cup of the sugar and the nutmeg. Toss well to coat. Set aside for about 30 minutes to let the peaches soak up the sugar.
  3. In another large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and remaining sugar.
  4. In a separate bowl, mix together the milk, liquid egg substitute, vanilla, lemon rind and butter.
  5. Slowly blend the milk mixture into the flour mixture until the batter is smooth.
  6. Pour the peaches into the baking dish. Evenly spread the batter over top of the peaches and bake until the batter becomes brown - about 30 - 35 minutes.
  7. Remove from oven and let dessert rest for half an hour before serving. Cut into 6 equally sized pieces and serve at room temp or warm if desired.

Entire recipe makes 6 servings or 1/6 of cobbler. Each with 3 WW Points + and 110 calories; 1.5 g fat; 20 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber

Have A Terrific Thursday,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
7/8/2011 4:24:08 PM

Phil, I think you have just planned my menu for tonight. Thank you!!

Have a great day!

Sara

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/8/2011 8:02:30 PM

Hello My Friends,

Well it's Friday night Fish once again, and let's keep it healthy with some more Salmon. This dinner is meant to help you stay healthy, while saving time cooking and cleaning. The recipe takes roughly 20 minutes from start to finish and is a breeze to clean up.

Salmon with Broccoli and Pasta

Ingredients

• 8 ounces uncooked whole wheat spaghetti
  • 3-1/2 cups chopped fresh broccoli
  • 6 salmon fillets (4 ounces each)
  • 3/4 teaspoon seafood seasoning
  • 2-1/2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
  • 1 package (7 ounces) mozzarella and Asiago cheese with roasted garlic
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper

Directions

• In a large saucepan, cook spaghetti according to package directions, adding broccoli during the last 5 minutes of cooking.
  • Meanwhile, sprinkle salmon with seafood seasoning. Cook in batches on an indoor grill for 5 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
  • Drain spaghetti and broccoli; transfer to a large bowl. Add the tomatoes, cheese, oil, salt and pepper; toss to coat. Serve with salmon. Serves 6.

Have A Fantastic Friday,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!