Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Healthy Crockpot Recipes - High Flavor, Low Sodium, Low Fat
2/16/2012 12:18:03 AM
HI Phil,

Thanks for the tips on the cabbage leaves. I just got cabbage today. But too busy for several days to try this one. I have been cooking a few things for a man who has had some rough times. I have been taking from Doctor to doctor and he always want to stop for food. So I will make him a cabbage roll.

Looked up the Miracle noodles too. Book mark that too. They do sound good. Yes I could lose a few pounds. Would like to do that before gardening time makes things a little easier. lol
LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/16/2012 9:30:30 PM

Hi Myrna,

It sounds like you and I share another passion besides good food and good cooking, my Friend. I always volunteer to help with the Cooking & Serving at our local Homeless Shelters at least two or three times each week, especially during the Winter. I don't know how some of these folks survive the cold nights. I know that He is watching over them, but it still must be so hard for them.

Here's a little something else that you might like to try. There's lots of flavorful stuff in this easy recipe-sweet dried cherries, tart apples and savory onions. I always buy the Whole Pork Loin when it's on sale and usually the Butcher will slice it free, if you ask. It's a lot more economical that way. In addition, dried blueberries or cranberries make a delicious substitute for the cherries. Steamed green beans and some baked sweet potatoes, such as the ones below, would be tasty additions to the pork chops.

Slow Cooker Pork Chops with Apple-Cherry Stuffing

package (6 ounces) herb stuffing mix
medium celery stalks, chopped (1 cup)
medium tart cooking apple, peeled and chopped (1 cup)
medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
cup dried cherries
1/4
cup butter or margarine, melted
cup Progresso® chicken broth (from 32-ounce carton)
pork boneless loin chops, about 1/2 inch thick
  1. Spray inside of 4- to 5-quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
  2. Mix all ingredients except pork. Place half of the stuffing mixture in slow cooker; top with pork. Spoon remaining stuffing mixture over pork.
  3. Cover and cook on low heat setting 6 to 8 hours or until pork is tender. Makes 6 servings
Very healthy and tasty sweet potatoes that will be a great addition to any meal. Very easy!
Baked Sweet Potatoes

Ingredients

• 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 3 large sweet potatoes
  • 2 pinches dried oregano
  • 2 pinches salt
  • 2 pinches ground black pepper

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Coat the bottom of a glass or non-stick baking dish with olive oil, just enough to coat.
  2. Wash and peel the sweet potatoes. Cut them into medium size pieces. Place the cut sweet potatoes in the baking dish and turn them so that they are coated with the olive oil. Sprinkle moderately with oregano, and salt and pepper (to taste).
  3. Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) oven for 60 minutes or until soft. Serves 4.

Have A Terrific Thursday,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Patricia Bartch

9394 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/16/2012 10:19:23 PM
i love making stuffed cabbage phil. thank you so much for the recipe. i have made it in the oven and i'm glad i have a crockpot recipe now.

thanks,
pat

Quote:

Hello My Friends,

Today's recipre features Cabbage leaves stuffed with ground beef, onion and rice, then covered in a sweet and tangy tomato sauce and cooked in a slow cooker. Absolutely delicious!

Slow-Cooker Cabbage Rolls

Ingredients

• 12 leaves cabbage
  • 1 cup cooked white rice
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup minced onion
  • 1 pound extra-lean ground beef
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons ground black pepper
  • 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

Directions

1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Boil cabbage leaves 2 minutes; drain.
  2. In large bowl, combine 1 cup cooked rice, egg, milk, onion, ground beef, salt, and pepper. Place about 1/4 cup of meat mixture in center of each cabbage leaf, and roll up, tucking in ends. Place rolls in slow cooker.
  3. In a small bowl, mix together tomato sauce, brown sugar, lemon juice, and Worcestershire sauce. Pour over cabbage rolls.
  4. Cover, and cook on Low 8 to 9 hours. Serves 6.

Phil

I'm Your AVON LADY: http://youravon.com/pbartch *Ask me how to get FREE Shipping.
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/18/2012 2:51:30 AM

Hi Pat,

Glad you liked it and hope you'll come back often. If you want to offer your family more veggies, you might like to try this rich and hearty stew for the slow cooker that you can fix and forget.

Slow Cooker Winter Vegetable Stew

cans (14.5 oz each) Muir Glen® organic diced tomatoes with Italian herbs, undrained
medium red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
medium stalks celery, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (2 cups)
medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (1 1/2 cups)
medium parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
medium leeks, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
can (14 oz) vegetable broth or 1 3/4 cups Progresso® chicken broth (from 32-oz carton)
1/2
teaspoon salt
1/2
teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1/2
teaspoon dried rosemary leaves
tablespoons cornstarch
tablespoons cold water
  1. In 4- to 5-quart slow cooker, place all ingredients except cornstarch and water.
  2. Cover; cook on Low heat setting 8 to 10 hours.
  3. In small bowl, mix cornstarch and water; gradually stir into stew until blended. Increase heat setting to High; cover and cook about 20 minutes longer, stirring occasionally, until thickened. Makes 8 servings
Please note: Parsnips are tasty little root vegetables that look like creamy white carrots, and have a slightly sweet flavor. If you don't have any on hand, you can use regular baby carrots instead. Also, to add a special touch, sprinkle the stew with chopped fresh chives or thyme leaves and shredded Parmesan cheese.
Have A Happy Weekend Friends,
Phil
“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/21/2012 8:17:15 PM

Hello My Friends,

This is an easy slow cooker recipe that cooks while you are at work. It is wonderful on a cold, snowy day. I have a family who are sometimes picky eaters, and they all love this.

Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings

Ingredients

• 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup
  • 1 onion, finely diced
  • 2 (10 ounce) packages refrigerated biscuit dough, torn into pieces

Directions

1. Place the chicken, butter, soup, and onion in a slow cooker, and fill with enough water to cover.
  2. Cover, and cook for 5 to 6 hours on High. About 30 minutes before serving, place the torn biscuit dough in the slow cooker. Cook until the dough is no longer raw in the center. Serves 6-8.

Have A Great Day My Friends,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!