Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Healthy Crockpot Recipes - High Flavor, Low Sodium, Low Fat
3/1/2012 12:17:44 AM

Hi Friends,

I've made this dish often, but I've never really measured the ingredients, so here's my best reasonable approximation.

Note: If you freeze the leftover cooking liquid, it can then be added to bean soup, ham or cabbage dishes, or even used to cook dumplings in. It's delicious.

Slow Cooker Green Beans, Ham and Potatoes

Ingredients

• 2 pounds fresh green beans, rinsed and trimmed
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 3 ham hocks
  • 1 1/2 pounds new potatoes, quartered
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
  • 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules
  • ground black pepper to taste

Directions

1. Halve beans if they are large, place in a slow cooker with water to barely cover, and add onion and ham hocks. Cover, and cook on High until simmering. Reduce heat to Low, and cook for 2 to 3 hours, or until beans are crisp but not done.
  2. Add potatoes, and cook for another 45 minutes. While potatoes are cooking, remove ham hocks from slow cooker, and remove meat from bones. Chop or shred meat, and return to slow cooker. Season with garlic powder, onion powder, seasoning salt, bouillon, and pepper. Cook until potatoes are done, then adjust seasoning to taste.
  3. To serve, use a slotted spoon to put beans, potatoes, and ham into a serving dish with a little broth. Serves 8-10.

Have A Terrific Week,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/6/2012 2:57:04 AM

Hi Friends,

We originally came up with this recipe using ingredients on hand and it has became a family favorite! You can even make it using low sodium/fat free/reduced fat ingredients and it still has a wonderful flavor!

Slow Cooker Italian Chicken Alfredo

Ingredients

• cooking spray
  • 6 (4 ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1-1/2 (.7 ounce) packages dry Italian-style salad dressing mix
  • 1-1/2 cloves garlic, pressed
  • 1-1/2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
  • 1-1/2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup
  • 1-1/2 (4.5 ounce) cans chopped canned mushrooms
  • 1-1/2 (8 ounce) packages spaghetti
  • 1 tablespoon and 1-1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley

Directions

1. Spray the crock of a slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray. Place chicken breasts in crock. Combine Italian dressing mix, and water in a small bowl. Pour over chicken; sprinkle with garlic, cover, and cook on Low 4 hours.
  2. After 4 hours, whisk softened cream cheese and cream of chicken soup together in a bowl. Pour over chicken; stir in mushrooms. Cover and cook on Low for 1 additional hour.
  3. Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a rolling boil over high heat. Once the water is boiling, stir in the spaghetti, and return to a boil. Cook the pasta uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the pasta has cooked through, but is still firm to the bite, about 12 minutes. Drain well in a colander set in the sink.
  4. To serve, spoon chicken and sauce over hot cooked pasta and sprinkle with parsley. Serves 6.

Have A Happy Monday,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Peter Fogel

7259 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/6/2012 7:24:21 AM
Hi Phil,

Some of the best meals are the result of using 'ingredients on hand'. The problem is that you have to remember to save it all in order to remember what was on hand originally and we don't always do that so each time it comes out differently.

This recipe sounds great and I'll try it one of these days. I like this thread cos crockpot recipes are cook and carry on with your day without fear of burning and ruining the meal. Great for working families who'll have a meal ready when they get home from work and cooks like me who sometimes get so engrossed in what they're doing they forget to check on the food cooking on the stove. :)

Shalom,

Peter

Quote:

Hi Friends,

We originally came up with this recipe using ingredients on hand and it has became a family favorite! You can even make it using low sodium/fat free/reduced fat ingredients and it still has a wonderful flavor!

Slow Cooker Italian Chicken Alfredo

Ingredients

• cooking spray
  • 6 (4 ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1-1/2 (.7 ounce) packages dry Italian-style salad dressing mix
  • 1-1/2 cloves garlic, pressed
  • 1-1/2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
  • 1-1/2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup
  • 1-1/2 (4.5 ounce) cans chopped canned mushrooms
  • 1-1/2 (8 ounce) packages spaghetti
  • 1 tablespoon and 1-1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley

Directions

1. Spray the crock of a slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray. Place chicken breasts in crock. Combine Italian dressing mix, and water in a small bowl. Pour over chicken; sprinkle with garlic, cover, and cook on Low 4 hours.
  2. After 4 hours, whisk softened cream cheese and cream of chicken soup together in a bowl. Pour over chicken; stir in mushrooms. Cover and cook on Low for 1 additional hour.
  3. Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a rolling boil over high heat. Once the water is boiling, stir in the spaghetti, and return to a boil. Cook the pasta uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the pasta has cooked through, but is still firm to the bite, about 12 minutes. Drain well in a colander set in the sink.
  4. To serve, spoon chicken and sauce over hot cooked pasta and sprinkle with parsley. Serves 6.

Have A Happy Monday,

Phil

Peter Fogel
Babylon 7
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/7/2012 1:59:16 AM

Hi Peter,

So nice of you to stop by for visit. I must admit that I don't always use the same ingredients each time in recipes, but I've found that with very few exceptions, experimenting works out fine and the results are usually quite tasty. As for Crockpot cooking, I've always been a big Fan too, not only for the convenience, but also because you can be a little less particular with the cuts of Meat and it usually comes out Tender & Tasty.

Here's another favorite at my house. If you're looking for a tangy slow cooked dinner then you should check out this hearty chicken and veggie dinner flavored by peach preserves.

Glazed Peach Chicken

boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 2 pounds)
1/4
teaspoon salt
cloves garlic, finely chopped
jalapeño chilies, seeded and chopped
medium dark orange sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces (4 cups)
1 1/2
cups frozen small whole onions (from 1-pound bag)
tablespoons water
tablespoons cornstarch
1/4
teaspoon salt
3/4
cup peach preserves
1 1/2
cups frozen snap pea pods (from 1-pound bag), thawed
  1. Place chicken in 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Top with garlic, chilies, sweet potatoes and onions.
  2. Cover and cook on low heat setting 7 to 8 hours or until juice of chicken is no longer pink when centers of thickest pieces are cut.
  3. Remove chicken, sweet potatoes and onions from slow cooker, using slotted spoon; place on serving platter. Cover to keep warm.
  4. Mix water, cornstarch and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Pour juices from slow cooker into 2-quart saucepan. Stir preserves and cornstarch mixture into juices. Heat to boiling; boil and stir about 1 minute or until thickened. Stir in pea pods. Cook 1 to 2 minutes longer or until pea pods are tender. Serve sauce over chicken and vegetables. Makes 6 servings.

Have A Wonderful Evening,

Phil

+0
Patricia Bartch

9394 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/7/2012 2:17:57 AM
thanks for the recipe phil using peach preserves.

i often open can of peaches and put in pork crockpot cookery. peaches add a touch of natural sweetness.

thanks for posting all the cute and funny cat pictures too. i hope you're going over to my cat thread to see the new ones i have added. i also have a "funny" thread.

will post a good crock pot recipe here tomorrow.
thanks phil and myrna.

pat

I'm Your AVON LADY: http://youravon.com/pbartch *Ask me how to get FREE Shipping.
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!