Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Healthy Crockpot Recipes - High Flavor, Low Sodium, Low Fat
9/8/2011 1:48:57 PM

Hello My Friends,

Whatever you call this family-pleasing hot dish, it's an easy Slow Cooker Version of a true classic.

Classic Goulash

Ingredients

• 2 pounds lean ground beef
  • 2 large yellow onions, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 3 cups water
  • 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
  • 2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
  • 3 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons dried Italian herb seasoning
  • 3 bay leaves
  • 1 tablespoon seasoned salt, or to taste
  • 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni

Directions

1. In a large Dutch oven, cook and stir the ground beef over medium-high heat, breaking the meat up as it cooks, until the meat is no longer pink and has started to brown, about 10 minutes. Skim off excess fat, and stir in the onions and garlic. Cook and stir the meat mixture until the onions are translucent, about 10 more minutes.
  2. Place the ground beef-onion mixture into the preheated slow cooker. Stir in water, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, soy sauce, Italian seasoning, bay leaves, seasoned salt, and macaroni until thoroughly combined. Cook on High for 1 hour, or low for 4-5 Hours. Serves 8.

Have A Terrific Thursday,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/9/2011 2:06:22 PM

Hello My Friends,

Here's one that I like to make for Potlucks at the Church, like the one we're having this Weekend, after the 9-11 Memorial Service. This hearty meal-in-one is one of my family's favorites. It also keeps well in a Slow Cooker, as I'm often asked to bring it to gatherings. Of course, I always take along a couple dozen Cornbread Muffins, as well as some Dessert for all of the "Kids".

Kielbasa and Kidney Beans

Ingredients

• 3 pounds fully cooked kielbasa or Polish sausage, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
  • 3 small onion, chopped
  • 1-1/2 cups chopped sweet red pepper
  • 1-1/2 cups chopped green pepper
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons steak sauce
  • 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 3 (15 ounce) cans white kidney or cannelini beans, rinsed and drained

Directions

1. In a skillet, cook sausage for 2-3 minutes. Stir in onion and peppers. Cook and stir until sausage is lightly browned and vegetables are tender; drain. Combine brown sugar, steak sauce, vinegar and Worcestershire sauce; stir into skillet. Add beans. Cook and stir until heated through. Serves 12.

Corn kernels add sunny taste and texture to these moist muffins, a great accompaniment to any meal. They're especially good warm, so if I bake them ahead, I warm them on the grill or in the microwave before serving.

Sunny Corn Bread Muffins

Ingredients

• 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2-1/4 cups yellow cornmeal
  • 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 3 egg
  • 2 cups buttermilk
  • 1/2 cup and 1 tablespoon canola oil
  • 3 cups whole kernel corn

Directions

1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a small bowl, whisk the egg, buttermilk and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in corn.
  2. Fill greased muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 400 degrees F for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Makes 2 Dozen Muffins.

Finally, this seems like an appropriate Dessert for a Church Social. You'll need just four common ingredients to put together this comforting dessert. A friend gave me this recipe several years ago. She said a local minister's wife fixed it every Sunday, so she named it accordingly.

Minister's Delight

Ingredients

• 2 (21 ounce) cans cherry or apple pie filling
  • 2 (18.25 ounce) packages yellow cake mix
  • 1 cup butter, melted
  • 2/3 cup chopped walnuts

Directions

Place pie filling in a 1-1/2 qt. slow cooker. Combine dry cake mix and butter (mixture will be crumbly); sprinkle over filling. Sprinkle with walnuts if desired. Cover and cook on low for 2-3 hours. Serve in bowls. Serves 20.

Happy Weekend My Friends,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/9/2011 2:15:25 PM
Hi Phil,

After all this time you finally hit a dish I have been making for years. Goulash, how I enjoy this dish. I hope others will enjoy it too.

yummy
LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/11/2011 7:29:33 PM

Hi Myrna,

Glad you liked the Goulash. Hope you checked out the Mexican-Style Goulash over at Papa's Kitchen as well.

Here's one straight from our Potluck Dinner today following the Memorial Service at Church. I remembered back when my grandma used to make these for holiday gatherings. So easy to make! Keep the meatballs and polish sausage in Crock Pot for serving and people can grab them with toothpicks or a slotted spoon.

Slow Cooker BBQ Meatballs and Polish Sausage

Ingredients

• 1 (16 ounce) package kielbasa sausage
  • 1 (16 ounce) jar salsa
  • 1 (10 ounce) jar grape jelly
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 2 pounds ground beef
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/2 cup cornflakes cereal, crushed

Directions

1. Fill a large pot with lightly-salted water and bring to a rolling boil over high heat. Stir in the kielbasa and return to a boil. Cook until hot, 8 to 10 minutes; drain and cut into bite sized pieces. Place the kielbasa into a slow cooker; stir in the salsa, grape jelly, water, and lemon juice.
  2. Meanwhile, beat the eggs in a mixing bowl; mix in the onion, ground beef, salt, pepper, and crushed cornflakes. Mix with your hands until evenly incorporated. Roll the mixture into balls the size of a large walnut; place into the slow cooker.
  3. Set the slow cooker on High and cook until the meatballs are no longer pink in the center, about 1 hour. Serves 16.

Have A Blessed Sunday & Never Forget,

Phil

Be Sure & Check Out Deborah's Forum Remembering 9-11.

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/17/2011 3:34:37 AM

Hello Friends,

Why not come home to a delicious Beef Stew that’s slow cooked with vegetables, Caribbean jerk marinade, and Gold Medal® all-purpose flour. A perfect Cajun-style dinner.

Slow Cooker Cajun Beef Stew

Ingredients

1/4
cup Caribbean jerk marinade
1 1/2
lb beef stew meat
medium red potatoes (about 3/4 lb), cut into quarters
1/3
cup Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
tablespoon spicy Cajun seasoning
can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
cups frozen bell pepper and onion stir-fry (from 1-lb bag)
Directions
  1. Pour marinade over beef in resealable food-storage plastic bag or glass or plastic dish; coat beef with marinade. Let stand 15 minutes.
  2. Spray inside of 4- to 5-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Place potatoes in slow cooker. Mix flour and Cajun seasoning; toss with beef and marinade, coating well. Place beef and marinade on potatoes. Add tomatoes.
  3. Cover; cook on Low heat setting 7 to 8 hours.
  4. Stir in stir-fry vegetables. Cover; cook on Low heat setting 15 to 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Serves 4-6.

One of our family's all-time favorites. Make it as spicy or mild as you please. If you are cooking for a crowd, this recipe can easily be doubled. Be sure to serve this with your favorite cornbread.

Cajun Style Dirty Rice

Ingredients

• 1 pound lean ground beef
  • 1 pound beef sausage
  • 1 onion, finely diced
  • 1 (8 ounce) package dirty rice mix
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers
  • 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions

1. In a skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef, sausage, and onion; drain.
  2. In a large pan, combine rice mix and 2 cups water. Add diced tomatoes and chilies. Stir in the kidney beans. Bring to a boil, then add meat mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Return to boil, reduce heat, and cover, stirring occasionally. Cook for 25 minutes, until rice is easily fluffed with a fork. Serves 6-8.

Happy Weekend My Friends,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!