Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Healthy Crockpot Recipes - High Flavor, Low Sodium, Low Fat
1/14/2011 11:17:26 PM

Hello Everyone,

Ever wish that your Family's dinner was ready when everyone got home? With quick and easy Crockpot Preparation, now it can be! How about some delicious homemade chicken stew?
Slow Cooker Creamy Herbed Chicken Stew

2 cups baby-cut carrots
2 Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup sliced celery
1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs
1 1/2 cups Progresso® chicken broth (from 32-ounce carton)
1 cup snap pea pods
1/2 cup whipping (heavy) cream
1/4

cup Gold Medal® all-purpose flour

1. Place carrots, potatoes, onion and celery in 3 1/2- to 5-quart slow cooker.
  2. Sprinkle half of the thyme, the salt and pepper over vegetables in slow cooker. Place chicken on vegetables. Pour broth over top.
  3. Cover and cook on low heat setting 7 to 8 hours or until juice of chicken is clear when center of thickest part is cut (180°F) and vegetables are tender. Add pea pods; cook 5 to 10 minutes or until crisp-tender.
  4. Remove chicken and vegetables from slow cooker to serving bowl, using slotted spoon. Cover with aluminum foil; keep warm. Increase cooker to high heat setting. Mix whipping cream, flour and remaining thyme; stir into liquid in cooker. Cover and cook about 10 minutes or until thickened. Pour over chicken and vegetables.

Hope Your Weekend's Terrific,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/16/2011 12:01:33 AM

Hello Friends,

This is a soup I came up with myself that everyone in my house will eat. Delicious, simple, hearty, and economical. Who could ask for anything more?

Split Pea Sausage Soup

Ingredients

• 1 pound dried split peas
  • 10 cups water
  • 1 pound smoked sausage of your choice, sliced
  • 5 cubes chicken bouillon
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped carrot
  • 1 cup chopped celery
  • 2 potatoes, peeled and chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 onion, chopped

Directions

1. In a 5 quart slow cooker, combine the peas, water, sausage, bouillon, carrot, celery, potatoes, garlic powder, oregano, bay leaves, and onion.
  2. Cover, and cook on High for 4 to 5 hours. Remove bay leaves before ladling into bowls.

Have A Terrific Weekend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/16/2011 7:39:13 PM

Hello My Friends,

This is an easy recipe using boneless country-style pork ribs. Just throw it together in the morning, and you're set. I like to serve this with baked beans and some of these delicious corn muffins.

Sweet and Tangy Slow Cooker Bar-B-Q Pork

Ingredients

• 1 cup ketchup
  • 2 tablespoons chili sauce
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
  • 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 2 pounds country style pork ribs
  • 1 onion, sliced into rings
  • 1 red bell pepper, cut into rings

Directions

1. In a bowl, mix the ketchup, chili sauce, water, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, Dijon mustard, chili powder, garlic powder, celery seed, black pepper, and brown sugar.
  2. Place the pork ribs in a slow cooker, and layer with onion and red bell pepper. Pour sauce into the slow cooker.
  3. Cover, and cook 8 hours on Low.

These Beans are a nice change from the usual. Wonderful mixture of beans, slowly cooked and really tasty and this smelled wonderful as it was cooking. Sometimes I cut back on the chili powder depending on the people I'm serving.

Baked Beans

Ingredients

• 1 (15 ounce) can green beans, drained
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can wax beans, drained
  • 1 (15.5 ounce) can butter beans, drained
  • 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
  • 1 (16 ounce) can baked beans with pork
  • 1 tablespoon mustard powder
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
  • 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
  • 1 (16 ounce) package ground pork breakfast sausage
  • 2 medium onions, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
  2. In a small roaster or Dutch oven, mix together the green beans, wax beans, butter beans, kidney beans, and baked beans. Mix in the dry mustard, brown sugar, chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, tomato sauce, and tomato soup.
  3. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the pork sausage, crumble, and drain the excess fat from the pan. Saute the onion and garlic with the pork until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir the pork mixture into the bean mixture.
  4. Bake, covered, for 3 to 5 hours in the preheated oven, removing the lid for the final 45 minutes.

These are always a big hit. Kids love them and they are always moist and sweet. Plus, they pop right out of the muffin pan without any resistance. A simple yet delicious muffin recipe that can easily be dressed up by adding jalapenos, honey or anything else you desire.

Basic Corn Muffins

Ingredients

• 1 cup cornmeal
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup white sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 1 cup milk

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease muffin pan or line with paper muffin liners.
  2. In a large bowl, mix together corn meal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add egg, oil and milk; stir gently to combine. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.
  3. Bake at 400 degrees F for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.

Have A Blessed Sunday,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/19/2011 4:48:34 AM

Hello Friends,

Every so often, I get nostalgic for my former Mother-in-law's Cooking. My first wife spent many of her early years right on the Louisian border, next to Texas, and her Mother always had a certain Cajun flare to her gumbeaux, and I have to say, this is pretty close to my Mother-in-law's special cooking skills. It is not the exact consistantcy, but the flavor is pretty darn close. The best part, it is SO much healthier!! She always used about 2 cups of veggie oil and 2 cups of flour, which may have been partly the cause of those extra pounds I gained while we were together.

I would highly recommend this to anyone who wants a little taste of creole.

Slow-Cooker Chicken Gumbo

Ingredients

• 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2-inch pieces
  • 1 (10-ounce) package frozen okra, thawed
  • 2 links andouille sausage, diced
  • 1 cup chopped onions
  • 2 celery stalks, chopped
  • 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
  • 2 cups reduced-sodium tomato juice
  • 2 cups cooked rice

Directions

In a slow-cooker, combine the chicken and all remaining ingredients except the rice. Mix well to combine. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or high for 3 to 4 hours. Serve over rice.

Have A Wonderful Week,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/20/2011 11:34:39 PM

Hello My Friends,

Here's a hearty, spicy beef stew for those of us that can handle the heat. I don't make it very often, but sometimes I just get a "taste" for it, if you know what I mean. I also prefer to make it in the slow cooker, but it can be made stove top as well. Great served over mashed potatoes or rice.

Spicy Beef Curry Stew for the Slow Cooker

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup chopped green onions, divided
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
  • 1 1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
  • 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
  • 3 cups chicken broth
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup golden raisins
  • 1/2 cup chopped almonds, toasted

Directions

1. In a large skillet, saute 1/4 cup onions and garlic in butter until tender. Stir in rice and curry powder. Saute for 2-3 minutes or until rice is lightly browned.
  2. In a saucepan, heat broth and salt. Pour over rice mixture; stir. Cover and simmer for 35-40 minutes or until rice is tender. Remove from the heat; stir in raisins, almonds and remaining onions.

If you would like some Bread Sticks to go with your Stew, a little trusty Bisquick mix provides a simple addition to these breadsticks that are ready in just 30 minutes.

Cheddar-Green Olive Breadsticks

2 1/4 cups Bisquick mix
2/3 cup milk
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (2 ounces)
1/3 cup chopped pimiento-stuffed green olives
1 egg, beaten
Olive oil or marinara sauce, if desired

Print these coupons...
About Concordance™

1. Heat oven to 350°. Spray 2 cookie sheets with cooking spray. Stir Bisquick mix, milk, cheese and olives until soft dough forms. Place dough on surface dusted with Bisquick mix; gently roll in Bisquick mix to coat. Shape into a ball; knead 10 times.
  2. Divide dough into 15 equal parts. Roll each into a breadstick about 8 inches long. Place on cookie sheet.
  3. Brush egg over dough. Bake 11 to 14 minutes or until light golden brown. Serve warm with olive oil or marinara sauce for dipping.

Have A Terrific Thursday,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!