Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Healthy Crockpot Recipes - High Flavor, Low Sodium, Low Fat
1/8/2011 3:48:15 AM

Hello My Friends,

I just posted some Spicy Chili Fries over at Papa's Kitchen, so since we're on a Spicy Train tonight here's a little something spicy for the Slow Cooker. This is an easy slow cooker meal - use your imagination and season it up as you like! Great on those cold winter nights! I serve this with grated cheese, sour cream, chopped cilantro and green onions, and flour tortillas on the side.

Chicken & Corn Chili

Ingredients

• 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
  • 1 (16 ounce) jar salsa
  • 2 teaspoons garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • salt to taste
  • ground black pepper to taste
  • 1 (11 ounce) can Mexican-style corn
  • 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans

Directions

1. Place chicken and salsa in the slow cooker the night before you want to eat this chili. Season with garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Cook 6 to 8 hours on Low setting.
  2. About 3 to 4 hours before you want to eat, shred the chicken with 2 forks. Return the meat to the pot, and continue cooking.
  3. Stir the corn and the pinto beans into the slow cooker. Simmer until ready to serve.

For those of you who are free to imbibe, I'm told that this goes wonderfully with a Good Sangria! Here's the best sangria recipe I've ever been able to hone to perfection! If you like a sweeter Sangria, use ginger ale in place of club soda.

Sangria! Sangria!

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup brandy
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 1/3 cup frozen lemonade concentrate
  • 1/3 cup orange juice
  • 1 (750 milliliter) bottle dry red wine
  • 1/2 cup triple sec
  • 1 lemon, sliced into rounds
  • 1 orange, sliced into rounds
  • 1 lime, sliced into rounds
  • 1/4 cup white sugar (optional)
  • 8 maraschino cherries
  • 2 cups carbonated water (optional)

Directions

1. In a large pitcher or bowl, mix together the brandy, lemon juice, lemonade concentrate, orange juice, red wine, triple sec, and sugar. Float slices of lemon, orange and lime, and maraschino cherries in the mixture. Refrigerate overnight for best flavor. For a fizzy sangria, add club soda just before serving.

Have A Terrific Weekend My Friends,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/8/2011 11:45:07 PM

Hi Friends,

Today's Slow Cooker Recipe is so simple, yet delicious. The carrots make it almost sweet, and it's a cinch to make gravy from the cooking juices.

Slow Cooker Carrot Chicken

Ingredients

• 4 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast meat
  • 1 medium head cabbage, quartered
  • 1 pound carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces
  • water to cover
  • 4 cubes chicken bouillon
  • 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
  • 1/4 teaspoon Greek-style seasoning
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1/4 cup water

Directions

1. Rinse chicken and place in slow cooker. Rinse cabbage and place on top of chicken, then add carrots. Add enough water to almost cover all. Add bouillon cubes and sprinkle liberally with poultry seasoning. Add Greek seasoning to taste (as you would salt and pepper). Cook on low for 8 hours OR on high for 4 hours.
  2. To Make Gravy: When you're nearly ready to eat, pour off some of the juice and place in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Dissolve cornstarch in about 1/4 cup water (depending on how thick you like your gravy). Add to saucepan and simmer all together until thick. If desired, season with additional Greek seasoning. Serve gravy over chicken and rice, if desired.

Then, to compliment your Meal, I like to add some Caramelized Roasted Vegetables made with a white wine syrup.

Roasted Root Vegetables With Apple Juice

Ingredients

• 3 tablespoons butter
  • 3 cups apple juice
  • 1 cup dry white wine
  • 1 1/4 pounds turnips
  • 1 1/4 pounds parsnip
  • 1 1/4 pounds carrots
  • 1 1/4 pounds sweet potatoes
  • 1 1/4 pounds rutabagas
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions

1. Boil apple juice and wine in a large saucepan until reduced to 3/4 cup, about 30 minutes. Whisk in butter or margarine.
  2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
  3. Peel and cut vegetables into l/2 inch pieces. Divide between 2 roasting pans. Pour apple juice mixture over vegetables. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
  4. Roast until vegetables are tender and golden, stirring occasionally, about 40 minutes.

Have A Wonderful Sunday My Friends,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Judy Smith

4550 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/9/2011 12:08:17 AM

Hi Phil!

The carrot chicken sounds wonderful - I love that it has cabbage in it too. I am a true fan of cabbage. I need to get in the habit of using my crock pot more frequently. There are enough recipes here to keep me going for a while. Wow, you have made me very hungry.

Hope all is well with you.

Happy eating and happy Sunday!

Judy

Proverbs 2:3-5:
3 and if you call out for insight
and cry aloud for understanding,
4 and if you look for it as for silver
and search for it as for hidden treasure,
5 then you will understand the fear of the LORD
and find the knowledge of God

+0
1/9/2011 2:37:39 AM

Phil, you are doing really good to get our friend Judy back in here!!

Love all the recipes and although I do not use a slow cooker anymore, I do love cooking. Tonight we are having some lima beans with ham seasoning and some sandwiches. It decided to turn really cold in Kansas!

Thank you for all the recipes.

Sara

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/10/2011 3:57:24 AM

Hello Friends,

I've been tied up for most of the Weekend with work over at the Church, but it seems that I should go away more often. I come back to find two of my favorite Friends have stopped by to visit.

Judy, it's really great to see you. I appreciate the PM and I'll try to get back to answer it tomorrow morning. We're expecting a Winter Storm (Down here in NC, that's only 4-6 inches before people panic) and we've opened a couple of Temporary Shelters for some of the folks from the streets overnight, over at the Church, and also at the Community Center. Anyway, it's been a busy weekend.

Sara, those Lima Beans & Ham sound good and speaking of sandwiches, I just posted a recipe for some delicious Homemade Brown Bread over at Papa's Kitchen, that I hope both of you might try.

You all know that I really eat hardly any meat these days, however, I simply had to sample this at Lunch today. This pork tenderloin soaks up the yummy juices as it cooks. Make sure to serve up the au jus on the side - its amazing! This recipe is so simple, you'll love it.

Amazing Pork Tenderloin For The Slow Cooker

Ingredients

• 1 (2 pound) pork tenderloin
  • 1 (1 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix
  • 1 cup water
  • 3/4 cup red wine
  • 3 tablespoons minced garlic
  • 3 tablespoons soy sauce
  • freshly ground black pepper to taste

Directions

1. Place pork tenderloin in a slow cooker with the contents of the soup packet. Pour water, wine, and soy sauce over the top, turning the pork to coat. Carefully spread garlic over the pork, leaving as much on top of the roast during cooking as possible. Sprinkle with pepper, cover, and cook on low setting for 4 hours. Serve with cooking liquid on the side as au jus.

Have A Blessed Evening My Friends,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!