Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Healthy Crockpot Recipes - High Flavor, Low Sodium, Low Fat
12/18/2010 4:34:11 AM

Hello My Friends,

Today's Slow Cooker Recipe is a delicious Chicken recipe that my dear Mother used to make. It takes just minutes to prep, and cooks all day with no worries. The dried beef may be hard to find depending on your location. Ask the butcher at your market. I serve mine over egg yolk-free noodles; however, it's great over any pasta, rice, mashed potatoes...you name it. Put a chicken breast on the noodles, and pour the sauce over the chicken and noodles to serve.

Slow Cooker Chicken

Ingredients

• 1 (2 ounce) package dried beef
  • 6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
  • 1 pound bacon
  • 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
  • 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour

Directions

1. Grease the inside of a slow cooker, and lay the pieces of dried beef into the bottom of the cooker. Wrap each chicken breast in several pieces of bacon, and lay them into the cooker on top of the dried beef. Mix the soup, sour cream, and flour together in a bowl until the mixture is smooth, and pour it over the bacon-wrapped chicken. Cover the slow cooker, and cook on Medium setting for 4 to 6 hours. If your cooker only has 2 settings, cook on High for 2 to 3 hours and finish on Low for the remaining 2 to 3 hours.

Have A Festive Family Christmas My Friends,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Linda Harvey

7954 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/18/2010 5:29:32 AM
Phil, thanks for the crock pot recipes that are healthy and low sodium and fat ! I try to restrict
my sodium as it seems to make my joints hurt and be more stiff.

The less you use of processed foods the better. Fresh raw ingredients, a little time and love turns out some awesome meals.

Happy Holidays, Linda

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/18/2010 8:56:41 PM

Hi Linda,

Thanks for stopping by and thanks for the wonderful comments. Yes, we would all be better off if we would just learn to like the natural taste of our food, without adding so much Sodium and Sugar.

I do like to use my Crockpots. When you build your special holiday meal around a slow-cooked main course, there’s always lots more time to celebrate and to share the good times with family and friends.

This is definitely a cheater version of Cassoulet, but it's still a nice change of pace for a weeknight crock pot meal. I always serve this with some Fresh French Bread to sop up the lovely juices. You can substitute low sodium chicken broth for the white wine, if you would prefer.

Slow Cooker Cassoulet

Ingredients

• 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into chunks
  • 1 onion, quartered and thinly sliced
  • 2 large cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 pound turkey kielbasa, cut into 1/2-inch slices
  • 1/3 cup dry white wine

Directions

1. Place the chicken into the bottom of a slow cooker. Stir together the onion, garlic, parsley, salt, pepper, cannellini beans, and turkey kielbasa in a large bowl. Pour the mixture over the chicken in the slow cooker, and pour the wine over all the ingredients. Cover, set the cooker to Low, and cook until the chicken is very tender and the cassoulet is thickened, 5 to 6 hours.

Wishing You A Very Merry Christmas,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Patricia Bartch

9394 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/18/2010 9:31:12 PM
Hi Phil. I always make these for my "Christmas Ship party" that we have every year. They are great party foods.

Pat

Quote:

Sweet & Sour Meatballs

Ingredients

• 2 pounds ground beef
  • 1 egg
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle chili sauce
  • 2 teaspoons lemon juice
  • 1 cup grape jelly

Directions

1. In a large bowl, combine beef, egg, onion and salt. Mix together, then shape into little balls.
  2. In a slow cooker combine chili sauce, lemon juice and grape jelly. Stir in meatballs and cook on high for 4 to 5 hours.

Next, these Chicken wings are slow cooked with a spicy tangy sauce mixture which includes chili sauce, chili powder lemon juice and molasses. Absolutely finger-licken good!

Slow Cooker Chicken Wings

Ingredients

• 5 1/2 pounds chicken wings, split and tips discarded
  • 1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle chile sauce
  • 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup molasses
  • 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 3 drops hot pepper sauce
  • 1 tablespoon salsa
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 2 teaspoons salt

Directions

1. Place chicken in slow cooker. In a medium bowl combine the chile sauce, lemon juice, molasses, Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce, salsa, chili powder, garlic powder and salt. Mix together and pour mixture over chicken.
  2. Cook in slow cooker on Medium Low setting for 5 hours.

Finally, always great for parties and entertaining! Just serve these little wonders with toothpicks.

Little Smokies

Ingredients

• 1 (18 ounce) bottle barbeque sauce
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup ketchup
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/3 cup chopped onion
  • 2 (16 ounce) packages little wieners

Directions

1. Stir together barbecue sauce, brown sugar, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, onion, and wieners in the bowl of a slow cooker. Cook on LOW for 2 hours, or until ready to serve.

Have A Wonderful Holiday My Friends,

Phil

I'm Your AVON LADY: http://youravon.com/pbartch *Ask me how to get FREE Shipping.
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/21/2010 11:23:46 PM

Hi Pat,

Thanks for stopping by and thanks for supporting my Forum Threads. Glad you're enjoying the Good Food.

Here's something out of the ordinary for Crockpot devotees - a Pork Pot Au Feau. This recipe was designed for busy cooks, but your meal will be even tastier if you brown the meat and onions just before the pot begins to bubble. Don't overcook - five to six hours is plenty. Also, feel free to add or subtract Vegetables as you will. I know that everyone will enjoythis one!

Mediterranean Pork Pot Au Feu

Ingredients

2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil, divided use
1 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
3 to 4 pounds country-style pork ribs, cut crosswise in 1-1/2-inch pieces
One generous pinch each
...Cinnamon
...Black pepper
...Crushed rosemary
...Crushed thyme
1 to 2 tablespoons browning and seasoning sauce (i.e. Kitchen Bouquet)
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/3 cup dry white wine or dry vermouth
1/3 cup condensed chicken stock, undiluted
1 bay leaf
6 medium carrots, diagonally sliced at 1-1/2 inch intervals
1/2 cup frozen petite onions, thawed
4 tablespoons instant-blend flour
Garnish: chopped parsley

Directions

1) Spray the interior of a 5-1/2 to 6 quart slow cooker with nonstick spray. Add onions and 1 teaspoon oil; toss to coat. Cover; microwave on HIGH power for 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook, covered, for 1 minute longer.

2) Place cinnamon, black pepper, rosemary, thyme, browning and seasoning sauce, and reserved 2 tablespoons olive oil in a medium bowl; whisk to combine. Add pork cubes and toss to coat. Transfer to slow cooker.

3) Place vinegar, mustard, wine and chicken stock in a bowl; whisk to combine. Pour over pork cubes.

4) Cover; cook on LOW for 5 or 6 hours (5 hours recommended). Add carrots last hour of cooking. Add onions last 20 minutes of cooking.

5) Remove pork and vegetables from slow cooker. Strain liquid into a two cup measure. Add water or stock to make 2 cups liquid. Pour into a saucepan. Bring to a simmer over high heat. Whisk in flour and continue cooking until sauce thickens. Adjust salt and pepper to taste. Pour sauce over meat and vegetables; toss to coat. Use a slotted spoon to transfer stew to a serving platter. Garnish with parsley. Pass extra sauce at table if desired.

Yield: 6 to 8 servings.

Happy Holidays My Friends,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!