Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Gary Simpson

557 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Re: Senior Moments?
7/18/2006 8:00:26 PM

Hi Cheri,

I have somebody very near and dear to me who, over a long time, has virtually convinced herself that she has Alzheimer's Disease. One each occasion that I visit she says it multiple times along with other stupid remarks like "my brain has gone" and "I could NEVER do that."

It annoys me SO much. Whenever I hear it I throw the counter: "Gee, my memory is getting better and better all the time."

This person, who shall remain nameless, has also indoctrinated another member of the family, a much younger person, with the same garbage. When they are together they feed off each other with crap like: "Both our brains have gone" and "we're just a pair of old-timer sufferers." That is when I just have to leave. I can't stand it.

Self-talk is a powerful thing. Maybe they might like to indoctrinate themselves but I sure don't have to listen to it. To me, it's like sitting beside a smoker then inhaling their side-stream smoke. I don't want to do it.

Good article Cheri.

Gary

+0
Cheri Merz

1258 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
7/18/2006 8:01:23 PM
Lisa, Sorry, I missed you sandwiched in between Dave's posts. Don't be surprised if forwarding the link to your parents doesn't have the result you wish it to. From my own experience, I can tell you that, if a prophet is without honor in his own country, so much more so the adult child trying to give the parents advice. You mention that you are under a tremendous amount of stress, and it may be that some of it comes from being a member of the sandwich generation...someone who is caring for their children and their parents at the same time. As women, the pressure is frequently increased for us because we are also trying to juggle home and career. Your first job is to take care of you. If you've lost belief in your abilities, start by recovering it. Have you ever looked at the teachings of Abraham, as expressed through the writings of Esther and Jerry Hicks? There are some fantastic processes in their books "Ask and It is Given" and its follow-up "The Amazing Power of Deliberate Intent." You might find them helpful to start you on a path of feeling better about yourself. When you have sufficient energy, and assuming you live close enough to do so, try playing games with your parents when you visit. Perhaps they enjoy bridge, dominoes, Scrabble, or another table game from your youth. A fast-paced game that my mother enjoys is Farkle, a dice game of strategy. You can find the rules at http://exploretravel.com/upperlevel/FARKLERULES.pdf. Or perhaps your children and your parents would enjoy enhancing their relationship by this type of activity. Finally, there could be other reasons for poor memory, including side effects from medication and poor eating habits. I hope some of this has the potential to help. You are not alone in your frustrations. You might be able to find more suggestions and a supportive community at http://www.aarp.org/families/. Cheri
+0
Scott Reynolds

493 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
7/18/2006 8:04:53 PM
Hi Cheri, Just letting you know I have been reading all of your forums, forgot to post in them I think. LOL
+0
Cheri Merz

1258 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
7/18/2006 8:10:25 PM
Gary, Long time no see...glad you could make it. As Dave pointed out, this is a very seductive excuse. I have even been guilty of it...telling myself I have to write everything down or I'll forget. The fact of the matter is that I remember important things, and if I forget something it was undoubtedly because it wasn't important...at least not to me. Socially, it's more acceptable for people to make self-deprecating comments about their brains being gone than to admit that whatever it was just wasn't important to them. I agree that if it becomes an obsession, it's time to leave. Thanks for your contribution. Cheri
+0
Cheri Merz

1258 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
7/18/2006 8:12:23 PM
Scott, Trust you and Max to make jokes in my serious forum. Straighten up, lol. Just kidding. Come joke around any time you manage to remember, lol. Cheri
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!