Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Cheri Merz

1258 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
Re: Senior Moments?
7/18/2006 7:20:56 PM
Dave, Thank you for your contributions to this discussion. As always, you are right on the money with your comments. My original inspiration for the website, in fact, was my grandfather, who started and finished his college degree after his retirement at age 65. His story is found on the True Inspirations page, under the title "The Groom was 92". Cheri
+0
Mary Hofstetter

3481 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/18/2006 7:26:00 PM

Cheri,

This is one of the uses of En101.  One does not need to master a second or third language, but the exercise of learning a few new words is great brain stimulaion.

Go try the free part of the site. 

Learn a Chinese,  or Spanish word if you are an English speaking person.

Russian, French and German coming to that site soon. 

+0
Cheri Merz

1258 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
7/18/2006 7:28:45 PM
Izabel, You have a point. I tend to find humor in it, though, and I think the title might bring more people who are looking for humor, so I think I'll keep it. My mother's theory of memory is that it is like a string, with the days', months' and years' events represented by knots spaced evenly along it. As we age, the knots get closer and closer until soon knots are composed of knotted string. She says everyone thinks she's crazy when she tells them this concept, but I understood the illustration. My mother, by the way, at 83 years of age, volunteers some twenty-plus hours in her local library and has recently mastered computer search techniques for her favorite hobby, geneaology. I think she's knitting new string. Cheri
+0
Cheri Merz

1258 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
7/18/2006 7:30:15 PM
Max, LOL, thanks for sharing the lighter side. Maybe you should stay home on those days, lest you not be able to find your way back. Cheri
+0
Cheri Merz

1258 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
7/18/2006 7:37:08 PM
Mary, thanks for the suggestion. I've always enjoyed knowing a word or two in another language. I took Spanish and French in high school; French, Russian and ancient Greek in college. Now I can only attempt to converse in Spanish because it is the most common second language where I live, but it's a lot of fun sounding out the Greek words that Georgios posts in his forums. And it was tremendous fun expanding my Spanish while in Mexico last fall. The new fad, sudoko(?), like a crossword puzzle for numbers I think, is another great brain stimulation. Any challenging game can work that way. Cheri
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!