Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Mary Hofstetter

3481 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
THROW IT ALL IN ONE POT
5/11/2006 6:39:27 PM
Before building the next page of our Adlandpro Community Cookbook. I wanted to find information on the word Casserole. I found that the word had its roots in the ancient Greek (Hellenic) language. Kyathos in Greek, means bowl. We know the casserole as a one dish meal, cooked and served from that same dish, pan, bowl. We English took the word "casserole" from the French language while the Greeks took "katsarola" from the Italian language. Both the food and the dish prepared in are a casserole. What do you think of the casserole? I see it as comfort food, fast and easy to prepare, a time saver, and a family pleaser. COMFORT FOOD: The ingredients usually include some type of sauce, soup, gravy cheese or other item that holds it all together. It also is a comfort food because it takes the strain out of entertaining. Fix the casserole way ahead of time and then when guests arrive you can enjoy their company knowing that you can eat anytime that all have arrived. Casseroles also take the stress out of deciding what to take to a "carry in meal". FAST AND EASY: One can make ahead, refridgerate for last minute baking. Now mom can slip off to a ball game or meeting knowing supper is ready to pop in the oven by a family member or herself when when shr returns. Mom can even freeze this type of meal, go to the hospital for baby delivery or leave town for a week on a trip. Now the family has something nutricious to cook for themselves. Save time by baking one dish and put one in the freezer for a busy day, last minute meal. A one dish meal makes for easy and quick clean up. Oven baking is the traditional method but now modern day mothers cover with plastic wrap and pop in the oven. FAMILY PLEASER: Use ingredients that the whole family like. If they don't care for mushroom soup, substitute cream of celery or cream of chicken. They won't know the difference. Someone in the family doesn't like onion, just omit. No recipe has to be followed completely to be a pleaser for the family. Young children justing learning to chew just love a casserole ground to their texture needs. Now grandparents, special needs children and the young can eat the same as everyone else....one meal for all in one dish. Add a salad, maybe bread product, fruit, drink and there you are---ooo--laa-la. Create your own recipe using left overs, the end of the box of pasta, and family favorite flavors. For example, I would want garlic in the winter to keep cold and flu away. Use what you have on hand and save a trip to the grocery. Can you purchase just one item at the store?? Bet you walk out with $30 worth of groceries for just that one item. If the casserole tastes bland, just add one of the following: worcestershire sauce, powdered mustard, dash of hot pepper sauce. But you can't go wrong with a can of soup or cheece. ******************************************** Post your comments here. I would like to know what name your culture gives the casserole. Go here to read about our Adlandpro cookbook.http://community.adlandpro.com/forumShowPost.aspx?PostID=361700 Go here to post your recipe for Casseroles http://community.adlandpro.com/forumShowPost.aspx?PostID=363212#363219
+0
Re: THROW IT ALL IN ONE POT
5/11/2006 6:55:06 PM
Hi, I love casseroles but here in Barbados that word is not really very popular. We tend to speak in terms of pie. Our favorites are macaroni pie (where macroni elbows and a cheese sauce are baked in one dish or shepherds pie! I think these foods fit all of the categories that you mentioned above.
Helpful Articles and Inspiration http://www.tasthorpe.blogspot.com/ Win a FREE Website from SBI Sweepstakes! http://sweeps.sitesell.com/Simmone.html
+0
Mary Hofstetter

3481 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/11/2006 7:07:09 PM
Hi Sommone, Thanks for stopping in. Yes, a casserole many times has a crust like shepherds pie. Eurepean influence would have included biscut type dough as part of the "pie". Please think of a favorite and post on the casserole page. You will be our south seas advisor.
+0
Georgios Paraskevopoulos

5965 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/11/2006 8:51:56 PM
Hello Mary, Thank you for the invitation. You AdLandPro CookBook seems to have a very good and organized set up. Very good artical indeed. That is very good to give explanations and definitions of words. Kyathos. The Greek word means a big cup or a modern bowl. Katsarola or Catsarola the italian word is equal to a kettle, a word that is derivated from casserole. German/Swedish/Scandianavian> Kastrul Best Regards Georgios
ETERNAL WISDOM-Know ThySelf, PHILOXENIA MetaCafe, Adlanders In Facebook
+0
Mary Hofstetter

3481 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/12/2006 4:51:01 AM
Hi Georgios, Thanks for the Swedish word. I will add to our recipe page. You once told me there is a system for learning languages. Now I see the three words for Casserole are so similar. No wonder foreigners can learn English so easy. Looking forward to your contributions.
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!