Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: That is not how I want to live my life...
6/26/2006 7:12:01 PM
Hi Linda, Sometimes people are just depressed and can't seem to help it. I worked at a psychiatric hospital for 24+ years. Medications didn't help everyone and some meds had undesirable side effects. Some depression may be due to life's circumstances, some may be due to use of illegal drugs, some may be due to a chemical balance. Of course there is SAD, Seasonal Affective Disorder that is linked to too little sunlight. This area is still somewhat of a mystery to medical science. We can expect people to "snap out of it" but sometimes they are unable to help themselves. In the case of Patrick Kennedy, perhaps he has an inherited predisposition to depression and alcoholism. DonnaZ
+0
6/26/2006 10:03:31 PM
Hi Donna; I'm glad to see you visiting more. You must have an incredible personality to have been able to work at a psychiatric hospital for 24+ years. I don't think I could do it. I agree with you that there are many reasons for addiction and mental illnesses, and many can't seem to help themselves. I've read a couple of studies that I found fascinating. The first was part of a mental health study on depression. People with depression and depression related disorders were brought into service type programs where they were helping others. The response was amazing. It seemed that being able to help someone else helped them, too. The other was a study with seniors suffering from depression. They got each senior a pet and told the seniors that these are abandoned animals that would be alone without them, too. Each was allowed to choose a cat or a small dog. The same thing happened... depression symptoms were dramatically reduced. Somehow, those two studies made me feel a little warm and fuzzy. It seems that human nature always prevails... it simply feels good to help another living being - whether it's a person in need or a homeless little animal. I do think, though, that in many cases, any kind of treatment or recovery has to start with the person saying "I don't want to feel like this anymore." You know? : ) Linda
+0
Larry Blethen

2241 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/27/2006 5:53:24 AM
I have to admit that I lost my wife after 35 years of marriage Aug 2004, I was depressed and lost a great friend but worked it out and have been doing much better. This may be out of line on here but I have to say that it took lots of work and keep looking ahead and living today and not looking back. I found that it helped me..I noticed that I have loads of happy memories but I could not sit around and thing about them..it will run you crazy..anyway...this might help someone else...Larry
Larry Blethen http://www.bluelight-marketing.com larry.blethen@bluelight-marketing.com, 304-369-5603
+0
6/27/2006 11:56:02 AM
Hi Larry; I'm very sorry to hear that you lost your wife - but I'm glad you're doing much better. I agree with you very much. I think your words can help others. Often times just a small word, touch or even "I've been there" can make all the difference in the world. Thank you so much for posting this. I think people reaching out to others is one of the small things that makes it easier to keep putting one foot in front of the other. : ) Linda
+0
Kim
Kim Stilwell

273 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
7/4/2006 11:05:03 PM
One answer is conditioned complacency. Earl Nightengale mentioned 20 men being asked why they get up in the morning...19 didn't know, but gave answers like, "Well everyone gets up and goes to work." Are we happy? Do we know that first? Are we, or do we try to convince ourselves we are because we feel either like we can't change things or that "this is the way things are in life," and if I'm not happy it's just me? I've thought these things. Later I noticed something in my life...that many of my times of discontent brought about new situations, and ones that I could see and felt were God's intentions or leadings. I noticed that they were better situations and held more forward growth. So now instead of telling myself I need to learn to be content, I LOOK for where I am being led or what it is that is going to take me forward in some area. Discontent might be an inner voice saying you've accomplished all you can here, or grown all you can, and it's time to move on to a place where more growth will occur. If we are not living life like we want to, then not only is it possible to change our life, but it might just be we are not on our true personal path, and that we are being led to seek something that will be opened up to us only if we Look for it. Many say that many live in quiet desperation; I agree. Again, living as we've been conditioned all our lives and not believing it's very possible to break out and find a better or new way. Some of you have discovered the knowledge that reveals to you that the possibilities are vast, and the power of the human spirit is filled with potential to create new things and situations in life, and to experience new and different results in life calls for willingness and ability or drive to first "Think" in new ways. I'm sure you all are familiar with the concept. Some aren't, and I imagine many go around in circles trying to find a way out of physical situations in life using the same old Thinking, and it's a rather frustrating affair. It appears to me that many though are in true pursuit of a larger and fuller life. We are living in a day of increased knowledge, and that knowledge is opening our minds to great and new possibilities. I encourage myself and everyone to not be so quickly discouraged toward seeing the results of our new visions. Even though we may not see instant outward results to something we are believing and striving for, there is no doubt that we are changing and growing and that our thoughts are having an effect in us and on or in the world around us. Sewing and reaping is a Law, and whatever we plant in our minds or lives will undoubtedly produce results, as it is often said that our present life and situations are a sum total of all our thoughts. I love your forum Linda, Kim
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!