Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
That is not how I want to live my life...
5/5/2006 6:54:16 PM
I read an article at CNN that said Patrick Kennedy, son of Sen. Ted Kennedy, is entering a drug rehabilitation program. (quote) "I know that I need help," the Rhode Island Democrat said at an afternoon press conference, detailing what he called a long-term struggle with depression and addiction. "That is not how I want to live my life," he said. (end quote) That sentence -- "That is not how I want to live my life" -- struck me as poignant. Raw honesty often does. In today's world; half of marriages end up in divorce, a third of our kids won't finish school (but half of them will have tried some mind altering substance by 16), 80% of the businesses we start will fail -- and 95% of us will be broke and dependant on the government when we hit retirement age. And maybe there's an answer in that simple but poignant statement. Maybe more people need to look at what we are doing and ask ourselves if it's taking us where we want to go. Are we building the life we actually want to live? And if not, why not? Just pondering..... got pong? : ) Linda
+0
Re: That is not how I want to live my life...
5/5/2006 9:27:21 PM
Linda, maybe sometimes life gets in the way and people do not know how or do not want to deal with it. Sometimes it has to do with attitude. I am not sure if this is what you are looking for, but I just received it in an email and wanted to share it. ATTITUDE There once was a woman who woke up one morning, looked in the mirror, and noticed she had only three hairs on her head. "Well," she said, "I think I'll braid my hair today."? So she did and she had a wonderful day. The next day she woke up, looked in the mirror and saw that she had only two hairs on her head. "H-M-M, " she said, "I think I'll part my hair down the middle today."? So she did and she had a grand day. The next day she woke up, looked in the mirror and noticed that she had only one hair on her head. "Well," she said, "Today I'm going to wear my hair in a pony tail."? So she did and she had a fun, fun day. The next day she woke up, looked in the mirror and noticed that there wasn't a single hair on her head. "YEAH!" she exclaimed, "I don't have to fix my hair today!" Attitude is everything. Have a Good Day! "Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
+0
Winston Scoville

536 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
5/5/2006 9:37:37 PM
Hi Julie, Great little story! Inspiring. Hi Linda, What a great little thought provoker! If only we knew the answer. I guess for some it's not knowing what to do to change their situation. And not knowing means staying in the comfort zone. For others, who know the answer, they don't implement the action required, for whatever reason. Then there's others who believe in repeating their past efforts in hopes of a different result..... Well that's a few that I can think of. But to me it's being able to sit down and look "honestly" at yourself and what you are doing and determining if its where you want or expect to be. If not, then finding a way to get to that point without repeating past errors in judgement.
+0
Cheri Merz

1258 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
5/5/2006 10:02:47 PM
Which poet was it who said "The unexamined life is not worth living." And yet, millions of people go about their unexamined lives daily and believe themselves to be happy. I believe that there are a few, a relatively small percentage, who look around and say to themselves that there has to be more to it than that. Who become tired of being pulled this way and that as events take them off the safe and predictable course they were on. It doesn't surprise me that many of us have congregated here. It also doesn't surprise me that some want to get back on the safe and predictable course. It's less challenging in a way. I used to have a roommate who was a follower of Ayn Rand. An objectivist, I think she called herself. She would enter the living room very dramatically as my other roommate and I were studying and announce "You aren't happy! You don't even know what happiness is!!" I always found it very annoying. As far as I knew, I was happy, and I didn't want to confront any thought to the contrary. These days, I'm excited about possibility, but no longer content. If I didn't know what I know about false security, I might want to go back to the old way. There was another poet who said "You can't go home again." I don't have an answer. I guess I'm just pondering, too. Cheri
+0
Deborah Skovron

2979 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/5/2006 10:15:24 PM
Hi Linda, "That is not how I want to live my life" Well, then don't!! Maybe I am being to clinical and cynical, but, if most people would quit looking at their lives like it was some kind of lab rat and just started living their lives, they would be a lot better off. Take some chances, do something different, every day. There is a great quote from "Mame" "Life is a banquet, and most of those suckers out there are starving to death." Do something that just might not work, you might surprise yourself. I am just pondering also. Your Good Friend Deborah
BrandName Kidswear starting at $2.65. http://debs-kids.com 12 Page Book thats creating miracles...FREE http://www.debs-kids.com/star-thrower.pdf Where Money Grows Like Kids
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!